Shipping large speakers. who to use.

audiobeer

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Please move if this is the wrong place. What would be the most affordable way to ship a pair of JBL 4430's From the 90620 area in California to 63366 in St. Louis? They won't be packed?

*cringes*

No, not in any way that would get them there in one piece.

For speakers that size/weight, you need to look into crating, or worst case, something like Greyhound - yes, they deliver large items like this pretty reliably though I would absolutely want them packed in something to prevent scrapes and crunches.

John

It is soooooo expensive to have FedEx or UPS package the item for you, although they do guarantee their packaging. If fiances aren't an issue, go for it. If you are trying to budget, you should buy proper materials and boxes and do it yourself.

I shipped some Paradigm 7seMKIIIs without any issue (90lbs). Proper materials are key.

And overall, FedEx is the cheapest for 25+lb shipments

Goodluck

Greyhound is an option for large speakers . Lowes or home depot for solid foam and boxes , U haul for larger boxes .

I manage a UPS store. Our packing can be relatively expensive, but we're certified to do this sort of things. Most people who work at such stores are happy to cater to specific requirements (provided we can get or are provided the necessary materials) when a customer wants a specific type of pack job done.

Honestly, though, if I were to ship a large pair of speakers, I'd box them with enough padding for moving, and then strap them to a pallet, then build a crate around THAT, and freight ship them to the recipient.

Shameless plug: UPS Stores do freight.

I have used Uship several times with excellent results each time. I've had both pairs of my M9s shipped, custom bentwood angle horns, and several large JBLs. They are a great way to ship without having to worry as much, drivers are more willing to care for your gear.

Pm me of you need any more info, I still will use this to buy large speakers anywhere in the U.S.

I have shipped very large Bozak Lowboys from PA to UT. Had a freight carrier pick them up. I Packed them up myself and secured to a pallet. No offense to the UPS guy ^^, but I suggest getting a few sheets of rigid foamboard and a roll of shrinkwrap. Your speakers are nowhere near the size of them Bozaks, but you still need to OVER DO THE PACKING!

There typically are box and packaging stores in most decent size towns. Dixon container is one here. boxes and such are a whole lot cheaper and they usually have a huge assortment of sizes to choose from.

I am finding for foam and insulation if you think out of the box a little (no pun intended) you can repurpose some great things. For instance you can find foam mattress toppers at garage sales. Go to stores that get in items that are likely using foam etc in their packaging.

Avoid UPS at all cost!
I have NEVER received anything over 15lbs in 1 piece when shipped with UPS.

A pair is speakers arrived with a hole in the box and a damaged speaker from some kind of stick or pole that went through the box.

Not sure who to use but I would for sure insure them so if they get messed up you are not out or the buyer. Good luck. That is a long ways or I would say Roadtrip.

The best way would be to freight them. Placed in card boad boxes and strapped to a pallet, means they travel upright, don't get flipped, bounced, dropped or knocked about. A guy on a fork lift picks them up, puts them in a truck and another guy takes them out. No mechanized conveyors, shoots, ramps, kick arm audio killers from the likes of UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc...

Is the seller willing to work with you on something like this?

I manage a UPS store. Our packing can be relatively expensive, but we're certified to do this sort of things. Most people who work at such stores are happy to cater to specific requirements (provided we can get or are provided the necessary materials) when a customer wants a specific type of pack job done.

Honestly, though, if I were to ship a large pair of speakers, I'd box them with enough padding for moving, and then strap them to a pallet, then build a crate around THAT, and freight ship them to the recipient.

Shameless plug: UPS Stores do freight.

If UPS Store does the packaging to UPS standards, does UPS assume financial responsibility for safe arrival or does the shipper still have to purchase insurance on top?

If UPS Store does the packaging to UPS standards, does UPS assume financial responsibility for safe arrival or does the shipper still have to purchase insurance on top?

Yes and yes.

You (as the shipper) have to purchase insurance up to the value of the item you're shipping in order to be reimbursed. It's right around $2.10 per $100 insured. If the UPS Store does the packaging (your shipment receipt will say Center Packed), and it breaks, your claim will be approved. It is the responsibility of the shipper to provide proof of value.

Also, I will say this: in the two years I've worked at my store, I have yet to have a single thing that I packed be broken in transit. That includes everything from large glass balls to tube amps (both HiFi and Guitar) to paintings to turntables.

Also, as I said above, if they're truly large speakers, box them securely and strap them to a pallet! Some UPS stores will do this, mine won't, but I have contacts at other stores who will.

I had a pair of (fiberglass) Peavy MB-1 midbass units shipped from Michigan to me when I was in Florida. Arrived perfect. (no boxes I might add)

I had a Klipsch LaScala shipped to me via Fedex if I recall. Arrived perfect. It was however, very well packed in a box with 2" padding. Might have even been double boxed. I don't recall, it's been 9 years.

I double boxed a single Klipsch Academy. Each box had 2" of hard foam around it. I honestly think you could have dropped it from the roof and it would have been ok.

First Academy arrived perfect (I had 2 and we shipped one at a time to make sure it arrived and the receiver shipped the empty box BACK to me for the 2nd speaker)

Sent the 2nd speaker and all was well with it.

Yes and yes.

.............. It is the responsibility of the shipper to provide proof of value.

Also, I will say this: in the two years I've worked at my store, I have yet to have a single thing that I packed be broken in transit. That includes everything from large glass balls to tube amps (both HiFi and Guitar) to paintings to turntables.

Also, as I said above, if they're truly large speakers, box them securely and strap them to a pallet! Some UPS stores will do this, mine won't, but I have contacts at other stores who will.

:scratch2:

I assume receipt of payment would work here ??

I would go the pallet or crate route and freight shipping, I think. Let the store pack something like that and then it gets destroyed, even if they reimburse you, the world is short one more pair of JBLs. Those guys often do not know how to pack such delicate yet heavy items as audio gear. Read the threads here including the most recent "What FedEx Did to My First Barter Town Sale" which concerns a pair of speakers.

Back
Top Bottom