Yulong Sabre DA8

komoyuki

Yulong seems to offer one more time a device of high-fidelity. Without falling in detail, I would have nevertheless a question about Yulong products and which concerns TubeDac-11. Is there any discussions to integrate a remote so it could become the truth pre-amp? Just a small remote with volume and selection? Customer could select if they want one or not for a price as an option?
What you think Rachel ?

sabreda8fronton.jpg

I just picked up the DAC18 a few months back and am very happy with it.

But this new model has me lusting!

Rich

Keep posted !!

They are supposed to start shipping anytime. I hope to have mine by the end of the month or sooner if all goes as expected.

I will be using it with the Yulong A18 and P18. It should blend well in this setup:

Attachments

• 20130511_154012_resized_1.jpg
    20130511_154012_resized_1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 55
Please let us know how this stacks up against the Hilo mrcasey. The DA8 is real high on my list right now but the the Hilo's DSD ADC ability actually has me thinking it might be a better move - could be something that would get me to go through the hassle of ripping my vinyl.

Please let us know how this stacks up against the Hilo mrcasey. The DA8 is real high on my list right now but the the Hilo's DSD ADC ability actually has me thinking it might be a better move - could be something that would get me to go through the hassle of ripping my vinyl.

One of the biggest reasons I purchased the Hilo is to rip vinyl. I have yet to try it out (waiting to splurge on new phono stage). I will be sure to provide SQ impressions of the DA8 and how it compares to the Hilo. Some people in China have started receiving their DA8's already. Initial impressions from them is very positive so far.

The DA8 is here. I have spent about an hour listening to it. I am very impressed so far. This is definitely an improvement over the D18 (not that the D18 is bad at all). The DA8 kicks up resolution a notch. Highs are not as rolled off. Bass hits hard and deep and with texture. I will need a few weeks to become accustomed to the sound and make comparisons but so far I can say that Yulong has a winner on his hands. Compared to the Hilo: a little early to say. The DA8 is definitely up there with the Hilo. I have yet to try the headphone out from the DA8.

Attachments

• 20130529_172302_resized_1.jpg
    20130529_172302_resized_1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 30
The DA8 has a very visceral and exciting/emotionally engaging sound to me. Difficult to make any early conclusions on. Definitely a unique sound.

I might have degraded my ability to make a valuable comparative judgement of this DAC due to my recent (3 weeks) change from the LCD 2.3 to the LCD 3. Even though it has been 3 weeks, the LCD 3 is different enough from the LCD2.3 (despite what I was expecting) that I might not have become accustomed to it to the extent that I can subtract the headphone change from my impressions of the DA8 as compared to the Hilo (my current flagship). That being said, the DA8 seems very “exciting” and “invigorating” to listen to. It definitely puts a smile on my face.

I feel the DA8 does an extraordinary job on the DSD files. It also kicks ass with DXD files. Please "do" try this material with the DA8 if you get the chance. In this context (DSD) it might even rival the Hilo (on DSD 64, Hilo does not do DSD 128 or DXD). So far I have set my DA8 only to “sharp” filter mode and “bypass” on jitter eliminator. No doubt different settings will influence the sound of the DA8. There are enough options to play with that it could take a while to settle down with an "final" opinion on the DA8. Also, I have not even tried the HP out. I doubt I will for a while as this capability is of no concern to me.

Quick Hilo comparison: When I listen to the Hilo I hear nothing. It makes me forget I have a DAC. It seems to have no specific "character" type of influence on the sound and at the same time is relaxing and soothing to listen to while oozing detail, texture any layers of sound. What exactly these two DACs do with those details is where they diverge. The Hilo, IMHO, just plays them as they were laid down. The DA8 makes you get excited about them. I hope this makes some sort of sense. I can’t yet say which is better.

The DA8 is a supercar. No doubt I am not putting this into words properly. Take no serious impressions away from my words here. These are still early impressions.

The Hilo sounds perfect in my 2 channel system. The synergy of the Hilo in my tube/SS class A, bi amped 2 channel system is a match made in heaven (not that I have been there). It will be a while yet before I can try the DA8 in my 2 channel set up. Based on initial impressions, and speculating a bit I guess, if I were to play music for friends (non audiophile) with the intent to impress, the DA8 would be my DAC of choice. If I had a seasoned audiophile over, I would probably need to play both DACs to show off my both my HP or 2 channel system. Do you want to arrive at destination via Ferrari or a Royals Royce? Two distinct rides, neither of which is likely to disappoint. IMHO, only personal preference could decide the winner.

I lack the exposure to enough DACs to give any sort of broad perspective on the DA8. So far though, be sure you are wearing a seat belt before you take the DA8 for a drive.

Great glimpse into what this DAC can do mrcasey - thanks for posting. I'd really be interested to hear how it sounds in your 2-channel system.

By the way, what is LCD 3 and LCD 2.3?

Great glimpse into what this DAC can do mrcasey - thanks for posting. I'd really be interested to hear how it sounds in your 2-channel system.

By the way, what is LCD 3 and LCD 2.3?

LCD 3 is the Audeze LCD 3 headphone.
LCD 2.3 is the Audeze LCD 2 revision 3 headphone.

The speakers in my 2 channel system are "down" for driver upgrade. I hope to finish up with the speaker driver upgrade project in the next few weeks.

I've placed my order - Rachel is shipping on Monday, so I am anxiously waiting now. Added in the MSC 2.5 speaker cables as well - expecting big things over next few weeks.

And my daughter is happy - she gets the DAC-11 as yet another hand-me-down to go with my old A-88 amp.

How are you guys liking your DA8 still? I'm thinking about buying one from GF and could use a little more feedback from those who have had theirs for a while now.

Cheers,
Steven

Back
Top Bottom