Vintage Solid State is now Solid State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
The forum is still the same. Only the name has changed to better align with what it is all about.

Me too...

With the name change, this forum may attract more posts about more modern and even new solid state equipment, especially from new members.

We already have a forum for "modern hifi", all though that could encompass both tube and solid state equipment.

It is difficult to assign categories that all may agree with.

I too am curious about the separation between this section and "Modern Day Hi Fi" as there seems to be a lot of overlap now. Of course people have been posting about modern gear in the tube section for a while now and it seems to have worked out.

There is also an ever increasing amount of gear ~10-20 years old that sort of sits in limbo between the traditional definitions of "Modern" and "Vintage". I suppose those threads would be more at home in this section now.

Isn't stuff that was new when AK started out just about vintage already anyway? I know some of us members are......

Ch Ch Changes

Not sure I see the logic behind the change but it wasn't really explained so I can only suppose for now. :no: Not to mention that changes aren't required to be run by me!!! :nono:

I resemble it too, JBL GUY, I'm vintage without a doubt also!! :yes::D

AK is "All Audio. No Attitude". Take a look at what Admin Grumpy says in this thread "Do you think AK is about vintage or cheap ?".

The Modern Day HiFi forum is really about modern/current production equipment, plus the modern system approach. There are many pieces of solid state equipment that fall between Vintage and Modern Day. At what point does something become vintage, vs. classic, out-of-production, obsolete, collectible, used. etc.? As an analogy, you might have a car that is a few years old, discontinued model; it is outdated, might not have the latest integrated Audio/Visual, navigation, collision-avoidance and 10+ airbag safety enhancements but you would not call it vintage. To label the forum as vintage might preclude someone from joining or discussing a great piece of equipment or experience. Vintage to someone in their 50s or 60s might be different from someone in their teens or 20s.

The point is to not limit our perspectives and the opportunity for useful information, interested members and meaningful discussion on all solid state. We are here to have fun and enjoy all aspects of this hobby.

As the forum subtitle states: "Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk, it's still rock'n'roll to us".

I believe it is more accurate to say that the name change brings it more inline with existing forums such as the following forums, turntables, diy, headphones, tube audio, equipment and reviews and speakers.

These forums encompass a with range of equipment, without regard to age or status.

AK is "All Audio. No Attitude". Take a look at what Admin Grumpy says in this thread "Do you think AK is about vintage or cheap ?".

The Modern Day HiFi forum is really about modern/current production equipment, plus the modern system approach. There are many pieces of solid state equipment that fall between Vintage and Modern Day. At what point does something become vintage, vs. classic, out-of-production, obsolete, collectible, used. etc.? As an analogy, you might have a car that is a few years old, discontinued model; it is outdated, might not have the latest integrated Audio/Visual, navigation, collision-avoidance and 10+ airbag safety enhancements but you would not call it vintage. To label the forum as vintage might preclude someone from joining or discussing a great piece of equipment or experience. Vintage to someone in their 50s or 60s might be different from someone in their teens or 20s.

The point is to not limit our perspectives and the opportunity for useful information, interested members and meaningful discussion on all solid state. We are here to have fun and enjoy all aspects of this hobby.

As the forum subtitle states: "Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk, it's still rock'n'roll to us".

yeah... all of that. :) it also follows the one mans trash... there are also some break out areas for specific brands and british audio in general. I wouldn't let the name change throw me into a tizzy.. Posting about a Quad 405 II is equally at home here as it is in the British hifi area. the responses may vary so choose the area that is most relevant to your post i suppose.

nothing too drastic going on in the change from where i sit. If it were up to me, and thankfully its not, id make the major heading solid state and put all of the sub areas under that heading, (all of the brand specific areas, British etc) with the exception of tubes of course. it would tidy up the main list a bit and remind folks that there are dedicated areas for pioneer, fisher, mcintosh etc. because you'd see them as soon as you clicked on "Solid State"
similar to the subscriber only area, Bartertown : there's equipment, parts, media, Non-Audio etc

there was a bit of an uproar over that too but it has long subsided and people get it right most often. the same would happen here. come to think of it, id just name it EQUIPMENT. that way there would be no additional yelling about "what about McIntosh Tube Gear, that's not Solid State" " I've got a fisher KX200, that can't go here" etc etc. at the very least ditch the manufacturer header and put those right under the Tube audio forums, same with the British and modern day equipment. Perhaps that's the change that should happen, just reorganize the major headings so that all of the equipment related forums are under one main heading. There are some opportunities to streamline site navigation by moving things around a bit and reworking the main headings.

Last edited:
(...)

Totally agree.

Looking from the technical perspective, we are putting/replacing old and obsolete parts (semi conductors, caps, etc) in the vintage gear with newer and more technologically advanced ones thanks to the all information shared. So, the boundaries between "vintage" and "modern" become even harder to define...

And frankly, a separation between two categories won't help. More people will come to learn and help. The guys at Modern Day Hi Fi are highly competent, too. Not to mention those at DIY page.

:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Totally agree.

Looking from the technical perspective, we are putting/replacing old and obsolete parts (semi conductors, caps, etc) in the vintage gear with newer and more technologically advanced ones thanks to the all information shared. So, the boundaries between "vintage" and "modern" become even harder to define...

And frankly, a separation between two categories won't help. More people will come to learn and help. The guys at Modern Day Hi Fi are highly competent, too. Not to mention those at DIY page.

:thmbsp:
True enough. Most of my "vintage" pieces have an awful lot of modern parts in them and I'm pretty sure a number of them sound better than when they were new.

True enough. Most of my "vintage" pieces have an awful lot of modern parts in them and I'm pretty sure a number of them sound better than when they were new.
+1

... Posting about a Quad 405 II is equally at home here as it is in the British hifi area. the responses may vary so choose the area that is most relevant to your post i suppose...

The Quad 405 is a wonderful unit. In the DIY community we can find a modern "Mosfet version" of it to build! :yes:

Attachments

• Quad405Mosfet_scaled.jpg
    Quad405Mosfet_scaled.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 56
Given that we have a forum for modern gear and that a lot of posts here are pleas for troubleshooting help, and to avoid the vintage/not so vintage issue, I propose that this forum's name be changed to "Out of warranty solid state".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom