Scratchy highs / Sibilance?

filmguerilla

Hi guys,

I just recently complete my setup 10 days ago. At first i was enjoying the setup but right after i change its location i'm hearing some scratchy highs/sibilance or maybe distortion on high frequency. Especially with the vocals, guitars and cymbals at 10-11 o clock. I was thinking it might be from my cheap chinese speaker cables. I'm using bare wires right now since the plugs on my cables are a bit torned. The wire is 6N OFC Copper wires i bought from on9mart (Arrow speaker cables). I'm thinking of buying Canare 4s11 for bi-wiring. Would this solve the problem? I have to wait till i get a new speaker cables to test it properly. I just hope the problem is not from the speakers or the amp. It would be such a pain in the neck to have this send back to the dealer which is far away from me. I'm so unlucky with buying stuff here in Iran. LOL

Are there any other way i could detect which one is the culprit?

Setup:

Amplifier: Nad 326Bee
Speakers: Monitor Audio BX2
Cables: Arrow 6N OFC Copper wire Speaker cables and Monoprice RCA
Sources: PC and Audio Technica ATLP-120

Thank you!

Does it do this with all sources, or just the turntable? If its just turntable, it sounds like its not set up right or the records are worn.

Speaker cables have nothing to do with sound quality in modest setup like yours. Look somewhere else. Often speakers location has much bigger influence - this can be your case.

Speaker cables have nothing to do with sound quality in modest setup like yours. Look somewhere else. Often speakers location has much bigger influence - this can be your case.

Modest ?

Nad and Monitor audio ?:music:

Better than my Akai and Merak at least !:sigh:

Modest ?

Nad and Monitor audio ?:music:

Better than my Akai and Merak at least !:sigh:

Well, there will always be a step or two up (at least in price). Even at top of the game all around, wait 6 months....

Not sure what term would have been any less eyebrow raising,"upper mid fi", "low hi fi","non-monster","kix hell out of Soundesign" ?

Odd .. Speaker cables will have No impact That's largely Sales Hype.
If anything crappy cables with capacitance problems would roll off high frequencies, certainly not add to them.
Try Simple Lamp cord as speaker cable.
Buy a length or cut up a cheap extension cord. It will be 'fine'.
What are the cable connections to the Amplifier inputs?? that is a more probable cable issue source.
Do you have cheap came with the DVD player cables? (find some)
Then try those.
Cold be some extraneous rf getting in there. Shielded interconnects could solve the issue.

Actually, all sources that being fed to the NAD are having this scratchy sound/sibilance in high and sometimes mid. Sometimes these are very minimal depends on the quality of the source. I'll get more time tomorrow to check my records since i've only done a lot of testing with my MP3's and FLAC's.
My records here are 90% new. They are in VG+ to Mint condition so worn records is out of the question. I feel like it's from the cable or something. I'll try to relocate the setup again to the old location tomorrow and listen to it closely.

I'm also getting some pairs of speaker cables from BJC. Although it would take time to get it here. Might be better for me to contact the NAD dealer here just for the heads up.

Does it do this with all sources, or just the turntable? If its just turntable, it sounds like its not set up right or the records are worn.

Is this possible? I mean, speaker location could sometimes bring scratchy/sibilance high/mid frequency? I'll try to relocate the speakers again tomorrow. Let see, i hope you are right.. I've had bad experiences here getting this setup complete! I just hope it's not critical. I just hate it! I've been working to get this setup complete for almost a year. First was a problematic ATLP-120 now this. :no:

Hi Bare, Thanks.. I'll try to look for some cables here to test as well.
I've used 3.5mm to 2 RCA for PC and some monoprice premium RCA to connect my ART DJpre to NAD and 3.5mm to 2 RCA for cellphone test.
What i noticed is. When i'm trying to arrange the wires at my speakers the harshness/sibilance sometimes tame. I'll post some pics of my cable later on and how i connect them to 326bee and speakers.

Odd .. Speaker cables will have No impact That's largely Sales Hype.
If anything crappy cables with capacitance problems would roll off high frequencies, certainly not add to them.
Try Simple Lamp cord as speaker cable.
Buy a length or cut up a cheap extension cord. It will be 'fine'.
What are the cable connections to the Amplifier inputs?? that is a more probable cable issue source.
Do you have cheap came with the DVD player cables? (find some)
Then try those.
Cold be some extraneous rf getting in there. Shielded interconnects could solve the issue.

I have a hard time thinking speaker placement is causing sibilance and scratchy noise...If it is happening with all sources then dbl check your cable to make sure there are no frayed wires, cuts, dents in the cable from end to end. Also all terminations are firmly contacting the speaker posts and amp posts.

This is why I love banana plugs, I have BJ speaker cables using Belden 5000 10AWG and using their locking banana plugs both ends...love it.

It's very weird! I'm also thinking that some cut wires went inside the binding post and cause this problem. I've done cleaning the binding post already and fixed the bare wires. The copper wires looks very thin and easily frayed when connecting to amp and speaker posts that is why i suspected the wires had to do with this. I'm waiting for some funds to get some cables from BJC. They're very friendly and told me they could ship the cables to Iran. Will try to relocate again this setup tomorrow and test what has mentioned here.

Hope it's not the amp nor the speaker! That's really bad luck! :nono:

I have a hard time thinking speaker placement is causing sibilance and scratchy noise...If it is happening with all sources then dbl check your cable to make sure there are no frayed wires, cuts, dents in the cable from end to end. Also all terminations are firmly contacting the speaker posts and amp posts.

This is why I love banana plugs, I have BJ speaker cables using Belden 5000 10AWG and using their locking banana plugs both ends...love it.

Filmguerilla, you said that at first you really enjoyed the system, until you changed it's location, is that correct? So the system was having no issues until you moved it?

More recently you said, when trying to arrange the wires at your speakers, the scratchy sound would be sometimes gone? If that's the case, it could point to the speaker cables for some reason, or maybe their connection to the speakers.

BJC is very good to deal with...I am fortunate that living near Seattle I can go to their office and pickup my cables when they are done..nice people

An easy test is use some short speaker wire. If you're going to be doing a lot of stripping wire. A good stripper is recommended. Then you can lightly twist your wires leads as needed.

Hi Runnin', YES! That's why my speculation was from the cables..
I'll have to move again the setup tomorrow and make a proper test.

Will keep you guys updated!

Filmguerilla, you said that at first you really enjoyed the system, until you changed it's location, is that correct? So the system was having no issues until you moved it?

More recently you said, when trying to arrange the wires at your speakers, the scratchy sound would be sometimes gone? If that's the case, it could point to the speaker cables for some reason, or maybe their connection to the speakers.

Thank you. I'm going to buy stripper soon. I was planning this before so i could make my own DIY cables. The one i bought for $45 was a junk!!!

An easy test is use some short speaker wire. If you're going to be doing a lot of stripping wire. A good stripper is recommended. Then you can lightly twist your wires leads as needed.

Again: Use some simple lamp cord or preferably extension wire.
Use an extension intended for powertools as the ideal donor..for complete assurance.
A Very Simple experiment
Cheap/easy and at least 95% as 'good' as money can buy.
Believe it or not...many simply refuse to accept this small factoid.
But then that's their problem, don't make it yours :D.
Connecting a pair of wires Should Not be problematic.. under most any imaginable scenario. Keep trying, 'till you get it right.
Buying yet more tools /paraphernalia is No answer

Will try this Bare.. I'll look for extension cords here. LOL The wife would get mad at me if i just strip the extension cord we use for home appliances. :banana:

Again: Use some simple lamp cord or preferably extension wire.
Use an extension intended for powertools as the ideal donor..for complete assurance.
A Very Simple experiment
Cheap/easy and at least 95% as 'good' as money can buy.
Believe it or not...many simply refuse to accept this small factoid.
But then that's their problem, don't make it yours :D.
Connecting a pair of wires Should Not be problematic.. under most any imaginable scenario. Keep trying, 'till you get it right.
Buying yet more tools /paraphernalia is No answer

Back
Top Bottom