Help id this black ss receiver

NJguy

Can anyone tell by the lo res image what receiver these are? And is that a dual tt next to it? These are at a sale and wanted to figure out what they are. Thanks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 322
Looks like a Dual with the United Audio logo on the base. My pops 601 looked identical to that unit. As for the system...not certain

Oh, just go buy it. Ya know ya want it. Ya know ya gotta have it. Ya know it is calling take ya. It has a dial, it has knlbs, it has wood, it has buttons.

The Dual base and cover were a higher cost option so suspect the units are not garbage. Agree they look sort of like Sansui but, suspect not.

Agree they look sort of like Sansui but, suspect not.
+1

Those gang type push buttons i think are gonna be the best clue, and are for me, what eliminates Sansui from the running immediately.

I've never seen a Sansui with that style wood case, and the tuner doesn't look like any Sansui tuner I have seen.

Nope, if you go see them in person, you need to take better pics so we can see them more clearly. I'm afraid that pic doesn't do them justice, however, I am leaning towards McIntosh, as they had lotsa black faced equipment, as well as Harman Kardon.

Mystery solved. Went there.

The tt is a dual 1229 with pickering xv-15 cart and d400 stylus. I paid 35 for it. It powered but didnt spin. But still felt like taking it.

The amp and tuner are Lafayettes i didnt take them.

Thanks for the guesses guys.

Last edited:
That is a rather seldom seen Lafayette (LRE) four-channel integrated amp held in some esteem in some circles (http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.h...sage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=vintage); that LRE tuner is reputed to be quite, quite good (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73397).

If the price were reasonable (less than a hundred smackers the pair, e.g.), well... I'd have grabbed them for the novelty unless they were really beat up (or dysfunctional).

LRE LA74 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
LRE LT-D10 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Last edited:
If it were me I would go back and get the Lafayettes. They made some nice stuff and the price is probably right.

I agree with picking them up. Lafayette put out some nice stuff under their name, for the most part a step of two up from Radio Shack during their time.

Update

Thanks guys i went back and got both. They look great, dont know what i was thinking yesterday, they just need a wipe down. Heavy little guys especially the amp.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 67
Nice score for a little more than a Benjamin. Get that Dual repaired, it's well worth it.

Ak members came thru and woke me up and got me to go get these. Thanks! Got them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom