Denon DL-110 Price doubling May 1st 2015

vincei

aka MasterControlMedia
Just thought I would warn all the AK members that the price is finally doubling here in Canada on the 110 as it did in the states last year. I got the bad news email from the place on Amazon.ca that sells it currently, so if anyone wants to try it out for the old price (about $125 USD), now is the time. I know lots of people love the cartridge so wanted to pass the info along, no affiliation to the seller, just a helpful hint from a fellow music lover. :D Below is the email I got:

"I am contacting you because you have previously purchased the Denon DL-110 Cartridge from us and we hope that you are enjoying the brilliant highs and powerful bass response that this cartridge delivers.

We have just been informed by our supplier that the cost of the cartridge will be doubling to $399 Canadian as of May 1st, 2015. We wanted you to be aware of this price change so that you could take advantage of the current price if you wanted an additional unit since this date is fast approaching and the current stock levels will not last.

Thanks again! We look forward to serving you for many years to come."

Just thought I would warn all the AK members that the price is finally doubling here in Canada on the 110 as it did in the states last year. I got the bad news email from the place on Amazon.ca that sells it currently, so if anyone wants to try it out for the old price (about $125 USD), now is the time. I know lots of people love the cartridge so wanted to pass the info along, no affiliation to the seller, just a helpful hint from a fellow music lover. :D Below is the email I got:

"I am contacting you because you have previously purchased the Denon DL-110 Cartridge from us and we hope that you are enjoying the brilliant highs and powerful bass response that this cartridge delivers.

We have just been informed by our supplier that the cost of the cartridge will be doubling to $399 Canadian as of May 1st, 2015. We wanted you to be aware of this price change so that you could take advantage of the current price if you wanted an additional unit since this date is fast approaching and the current stock levels will not last.

Isn't that the one that is MC, but has high enough output for a MM input?

I'm on my fifth DL110, current one is 3 months old and cost £160 - approx $240 US. I don't know if the price is going to go up in the UK, but if there's more than a small price rise then I'll be forced to look around for something else within my budget.

Well, I will officially cease purchasing the DL-110 on May 1.

As great as this cartridge sounds for the price, it does not sound $399 great. It is ridiculous that people will now have to pay $399 for exactly the same cartridge...no improvements, no upgrades, no nothing.

I will spend $399 on something far better than a DL-110.

I wonder if Denon suddenly realized they were losing money on those two carts. Hard to understand such an increase otherwise. Let's hope the DL-103 survives at a reasonable price.

The 110 is a real bargain at the old price, new price not worth it IMO. I am tempted to get another 110 before the increase, but I just got a AT-150MLX. Decisions, decisions! The old price is really attractive for those in the US with the exchange rate, like another 20% off!

Thanks for the tip, Vincei.

Are you speaking of the eBay seller, avguru101? It looks like his price on the 110 for us here in the US is now $147 + 18 ship.

Thanks for the tip, Vincei.

Are you speaking of the eBay seller, avguru101? It looks like his price on the 110 for us here in the US is now $147 + 18 ship.

Yes same guy, you can buy from his AMAZON.CA store for 159CAD, about 125 US. I guess he charges more on eBay due to the fees.

Thanks.

That price difference is interesting. Anybody know if those of us in the US can order off the Amazon.CA site?

Last edited:
Thanks.

That price difference is interesting. Anybody know if those of us in the US can order off the Amazon.CA site?

I believe several members have ordered from them on AMAZON.CA. :music: In fact I noticed you can get it even cheaper from their website "AVgearshop", I am quite sure they ship anywhere. I have bought 2 from them in the past with good experience.

I realize the stylus on the DL110 is non-replaceable. But a stylus with those specs alone is worth $145.

I realize the stylus on the DL110 is non-replaceable. But a stylus with those specs alone is worth $145.

Yes, it's a good well-polished well-mounted square shank nude rock.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will never forgive Denon for dropping the 160

I wonder if the smaller diamond and its associated costs drove that. Or if some #1 son MBA decided to squeeze more profit out of a good seller. I really like my 160, obviously will be faced with either a retip or an alternative at some point.

Fwiw, I just ran the numbers-- it came out like $2.25 cheaper thru Amazon.ca than AVG's site due to shipping. At 1:0.854 exchange, the cart is US$135.75 + $15 shipping.

I've never had an exceptional cart-- wonder if I'll regret passing at $150. Just hard to spend even this amount knowing it was available not long ago at half-again this price.

Sent from my iPhoon using Tt

Last edited:
In May '13 I paid $87 (US) for a Denon DL-110 at Comet Supply. That was the best ever 'bang for the buck' cart I got. I kinda miss those days... :D

Am I the only one getting the impression Denon doesn't really want us to buy that cart any more? Sort of telling us 'Hey guys... Look... We got other nice carts too'? Is that possible?

I don't know what I'll do when that tip wears out. I don't have the heart to spend $$$ + S&H for a retip of a $$ cart. Am I being cheap?

Tom
I bought one at Comet too and I don't think you're being cheap. I have serious doubts that I'll spend $150-$200 to get mine retipped. Besides, I have a couple of other cartridges that I enjoy as well.

Fwiw, I just ran the numbers-- it came out like $2.25 cheaper thru Amazon.ca than AVG's site due to shipping. At 1:0.854 exchange, the cart is US$135.75 + $15 shipping.

I've never had an exceptional cart-- wonder if I'll regret passing at $150. Just hard to spend even this amount knowing it was available not long ago at half-again this price.

Sent from my iPhoon using Tt

Makes sense. Shipping can be a deciding factor. As far as price, it's a great bargain at $125US, $87 was a steal and would have bought several from Comet at the time, but they did not ship to Canada.

The DL110 was the cartridge that got me back into vinyl. My first one cost $139 from Needle Doctor. I loved it and promptly wore it out. Maybe it will be re-tipped someday?

I bought an $87 dollar one from Comet before they stopped selling them and its currently on a SL 1600 MK II in my home theater system.

THANK YOU to the OP for the heads up!!! I just bought one from Canadian Amazon for $151.07 USD with shipping. It will go into my storage for another day.

I have no reservations about paying $150, even though my current one cost $87. None at all. You guys that think that prices should stay the same for 10 or 20 years are not being realistic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom