Mini Disc anyone?

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Was at the flea market today and picked up a Sony MDS-JE510 mini disc player/recorder for 5 bucks. Came with one disc and I'm playing it now. Kind of neat, anyone else using this? Now I have to start looking for more mini disc.

BillWojo

I used to for live recording. Trying to sell mine and a load of disks now. They are great.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Always interested in but $$$...

I always had an interest in one of these but the price kept me away. I notice prices now more reasonable(I am cheap) and within my range.
Does it sound as good as I imagine it can?
To me my cassette decks sound great. So does my Sony DVD/Blue ray player playing CD's.

Paul

I have a Denon Mini Disc player that I really like.
I think it sounds good and I find the occasional disc mixed in with the cassettes at the thrifts.

Never really hit in the US.

If memory serves me well ... believe Mini Disc was thought of as a replacement for the aging cassette format.

Tomorrows World 1992 - Philips DCC V Sony MiniDisc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_Kzml_n4E

I'm not really sure ... the problem was that I was not living in the US at the time ... maybe MiniDisc was a complete flop here? All I remember is seeing it at Circuit City during one of my trips to the US.

If memory serves me well ... believe Mini Disc was thought of as a replacement for the aging cassette format.

I don't recall it being marketed as a cassette replacement in the US. It was too cost prohibitive anyways. In my opinion, the introduction of the, then new, format along with pre-recorded MDs brought confusion to the consumers just when CDs were becoming more mainstream. Why should the consumer buy a CD, and also buy an MD of the same recording? This is just my take, of course.

Edit: More importantly...I still have a Sony MD deck, and a portable that I enjoy occasionally.

Last edited:
Never really hit in the US.

I remember going to Europe in '99 and being shocked at how many models of portable minidisc players I saw in stores.

It was an interesting concept but hampered by bad decisions at the corporate level. Actually using minidiscs was an exercise in frustration because of poor software and design choices.

I might still have a portable player sitting around in a closet somewhere. I should try and find it.

We've been using MD's for promos & PSAs at the radio station for decades but are phasing them out due to having worn several of them completely out. Our electronics repair guru always seems to have one on his bench and I've had them die while on the air live. I have no idea how many we have but I'll guess at least 20 Marantz Professional, Sony and Denon units are stacked up next to my office.

I have a few decks I bought once the market went flat with the really cheap cd/r's. I also got a lifetime supply of discs a dj was giving away on craigslist. They are fun to play with and have a sound signature almost analog.

Carl

I have one also, a Sony JE330. I really like the sound signature as well, seem to think its more analog than digital also, would compare to cassette sound, but cleaner maybe? Neat to hear from someone else that has this format! Happy listening.

I love Mini Disc, one of my favorite formats. It is really useful to have a portable unit as well as a home deck. You can use the portable with your computer and really make editing and transfering files eazy peazy. I also think vinyl to MD sounds better then vinyl to CD, kind of depends on what version of ATRAC your deck has. My home deck is a Sony MDS JB930, I think it is one of the best home units ever made, non HI MD at least. Anyways alot of fun, and I like the analouge type sound. Just don't expect miracles, it's Mini Disc, lol.

Was at the flea market today and picked up a Sony MDS-JE510 mini disc player/recorder for 5 bucks. Came with one disc and I'm playing it now. Kind of neat, anyone else using this? Now I have to start looking for more mini disc.

BillWojo

Yes, there are a few MiniDisc aficionados here on AK. Occasionally a deck or discs will show up in the Barter Town forum.

I have bought and sold countless decks over the past 18 years including several SONY decks like yours. I currently have a rack mount professional grade DENON DN-M1050R in my main listening system and a later model SONY portable unit that I use in rental cars when I travel. I have a large number of discs with favorite albums recorded from years ago. They all play well and sound good enough for my needs.

This last Christmas I gifted myself what may be the obvious step up from MiniDisc - a ZOOM H5 digital recorder. It's great for mobile recording and easy (native) track transfers to my computer for editing. The MiniDisc didn't have an easy way to transfer live recordings into your computer for editing.

Back
Top Bottom