Fisher X100 vs Scott 299 vs modern???

j free

I would like some thoughts. I currently have a Proton 550 integrated with big Mission 765 speakers. I'm looking to make a change. I've been eyeing out modern hybrids, in particular. Line Magnetic/Rogue Cronos/Vincent. I also see a vendor here with some nicely restored vintage units, the Scott and Fisher in particular. How would these vintage units stack up against modern? I love the idea of vintage, not sure if the sound will disappoint though. Any thoughts/info appreciated.

I have a Fisher x100B and had a Scott 299B.
299 was a much more robust unit with ginormus OPTs and PT.
Well built and killer looking with gold front panel and knobs
100B is a more 'classy' looking unit, well built, clean straight wireing, good sound, as the 299 did.
Either Scott or Fisher sound will definately please the ear.
Your choice.

I would look into one of the bigger Fisher's KX200, 202B, or the like unless you want
to use the the 7189 tube look into a 222C or D nice sounding amp.

Tube

The Fisher and the Scott are both great amps, and certainly stand up against comparable modern units.
Given the choice between those two specific models, I prefer the Scott.

I kinda regret letting go of a 299C but wouldn't be using it if I had it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

What naptown Rob say's is true, I had a Conrad Johnson system before and tell you
the truth I love the sound of my Fisher's and Eico more. There's something about
the sound.

Tube

I kinda regret letting go of a 299C but wouldn't be using it if I had it.

Why not?
So you guys feel this would function well as a main/living room amp. Vs keeping what I've got, or going modern hybrid?

Why not?
So you guys feel this would function well as a main/living room amp. Vs keeping what I've got, or going modern hybrid?

I was into assembling a transparent system, the amp had too much character of its own to be of interest in a working system. It'd still he the same situation, I can do better and have done so with a basic amp and a passive controller. The amp was too theatrically tubey sounding to be of interest to me.

Sherwoods are sleepers. Little tighter working conditions. Great build quality, copper chassis is cool. Nice looking/ nice sounding units.

Back
Top Bottom