tuner recommendations

chisa

i currently have a cambridge audio DAB300 and a yamaha tx 396l, but i want to move to something a bit better sounding. i mainly listen to radio 2,3&4 in the UK. i tried the DAB but wasn't impressed with the broadcast sound (too compressed and low resolution, only radio 3 has a halfway decent quality)

so any recommendations?

I'd go the vintage route and highly recommend a Trio KT-917,or Trio Model 600T... BBC radio 2 on FM stereo just sounds completely awesome on these two.

Last edited:
Accuphase T100. At least in the USA with a roof top Yagi and signal strength pegged on the meter at 5 I'm still amazed how good FM sounds now days. Even AM is respectable with this tuner for when you need it. Some of the tone and details this tun:thmbsp:er can put out are better and LP and CD in my opinion.

Trios are nice tuners, Kenwood in the USA. The Quad is a nice tuner for UK FM needs. I am not a big fan of them for USA FM needs. You have fewer FM stations in the UK, so selectivity less important.

Magnum Dynalab makes a superb line of new Analog tuners and amps, but of course they are expensive. They do sell factory certified used versions with a warranty for less than I have seen them sold for on e bay. I would recommend as a starting point the MD90 for tube amps, and the MD 90T, a Tube/Hybrid version for SS amps. IMO if your serious about FM and have a highly resolving system, these tuners are worth every cent (or were when FM was a more important source) even at their full list price.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/certified.htm

There are details and prices of this and other certified tuners as well as their warranty terms at this link.

It looks like they only sell the certified pre-owned units in north America. Until recently they were available world wide I believe. However if you can find a good used one, I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I owned close to 40 Tuners

My SS type tuner favorite is Scott LT-112B

A very close second is the SS Kenwood KT-990D (very smooth sounding)

Best FM tuner of all I owned is in a Fisher 400. The stand alone equivalent model is a Fisher FM100B tube type.

thanks for the advice guys,

eventually i found a sony s570es for a good price and it has the features i was looking for!

Back
Top Bottom