DCM Time Window 3 vs Time Window 1 series 2.

I have 2 pair of TW 1's and a SINGLE TW3 .. the 3 is MUCH heavier .. and seems to be of a better fit and finish .. i saw the tw3 on craigsL and picked it up the guy did not have a match ... but i figured maybe i would grab it up and hold on until i either found a second or found someone who needed one .. the TW3 by it self sound very nice .. much more robust than a tw1.

But with only one i cant compare the "magic" that happens or is supposed to happen as it does with the TW1s

Last edited:
DCM TW 3 vs. ADS

Michigan,

Old thread, but wondering how the DCM TW3's hold up against your ADS? I'm looking at some vintage speakers that go below 40hz, ;)...

Just wondering how they stack against each other.

Well I have never found an additional tw3 so it is still an orphan, i really just picked it up to make sure it didnt end up in the trash or something. I have been considering using it as a center channel in a HT system featuring 4 tw1's and the tw3 as the center channel... The tw3 did show me enough to make me hopeful it would be even better than the 1's.

Compared to the ADS .. the large ADS take them down hands down. As far as things running below 40 Hz I have found the time windows (all of them) do amazingly better if you take away the bottom end and hand it over to a sub woofer allowing them to focus on midbass, mid rage and highs, things they tend to fall off on when trying to drive a complex load at volume. Its just asking to much to ask them to produce 30hz at volume at the same time you want articulate mid bass and mid range out of the same 6 inch drivers :) IMHO the TW's are given their best chance with that end crossed out of the mix.

But to ask it to hold out well against the ADS M12, 1290 and 1530's that i have is really not a fair fight.

Anyone know if the DCM QED's are worth keeping? I own 2 sets and one is as mint as you'd ever find, just don't have the room anymore... They do sound great. I know little of the history behind these. Any Help??? Thanks Al

Will try to post pics tomorrow, the QED's were early before the 1a's I think. They do sound great and were my first venture into DCM's...

Sorry for the delay, the DCM QED's are like the Timewindows 1a, only a flat front, same height. Mine are serial matching and mint.

Those speaker tops look like what's called " lumber core plywood " It's basically laminated pieces of solid wood that's overlayed with a veneer. It gives the density of solid wood, with a lower risk of warping. You don't see it every day, and it's not cheap. I saw some of that type in a specialty wood store a while back. A 4 x 8 sheet of Walnut was nearly $300.

Time windows 3 speakers.

I recently picked up a pair for just $225 and was congratulating myself on a great deal...until...I noticed that I had two right hand speakers.. :no: :nono:
How could this happen ? Incredible.

Since these are mirror image pairs, unlike the TW 1 speakers....having two
right side speakers defeats all the engineering that went into this design.

Is there a snowballs chance in Hell ...that somebody out there has a pair of
Left hand speakers and who would like to swap ? Anybody have just a left hand speaker ? Mine seem to be early model TW3, not the later ones with the elegant plastic panels surrounding the level controls.

No wonder I got them so cheap, aye ? Live and learn.
Thanks in advance for any help at all.

Thanks in advance for any help at all.

Warren, where are you located? I have an orphan TW 3 that i have been hoping to find a mate for .. but maybe it makes more sense for you if its an opposing match how do you tell one from the other?

I am picturing you with a left right and very cool 3rd as a center channel lol ancored to the floor with the TV right on top ;-) :banana:

Hard to tell with the socks on a coaxially mounted tweeter on both sides. One in front of an 6" the other an 8". The way they are set in it very hard to tell. Looking at them now. Oreintaion of the badges is the easiest way. When they are still attached. Nothing on the back.

DCM 3 set up

Hello gentlemen,

I just picked up 2 pairs of DCM speakers from an estate sale. ($25).

The larger pair are DCM 3s (39" tall, oak endplates, SN 1323 (other rear plate missing) and have the high and mid frequency distribution adjustments along with tweeter level adjustment. The smaller smaller pairs are shorter (36") and have no badges or adjustments. Both pairs have banana plug inputs.

I'm frustrated in that I've been unable to locate an owners manual or detailed set up information. I'm hoping one of you can help me out.

Time windows have been one of the speakers I've always wanted to hear which is why I jumped at the opportunity to try them out. I'll appreciate whatever advice you can provide.

Thanks,

ARS

Hello gentlemen,

I just picked up 2 pairs of DCM speakers from an estate sale. ($25).

The larger pair are DCM 3s (39" tall, oak endplates, SN 1323 (other rear plate missing) and have the high and mid frequency distribution adjustments along with tweeter level adjustment. The smaller smaller pairs are shorter (36") and have no badges or adjustments. Both pairs have banana plug inputs.

I'm frustrated in that I've been unable to locate an owners manual or detailed set up information. I'm hoping one of you can help me out.

Time windows have been one of the speakers I've always wanted to hear which is why I jumped at the opportunity to try them out. I'll appreciate whatever advice you can provide.

Thanks,

ARS

Have a look at this....

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=677129

Now THAT is a score. Umm I mean they are so difficult to position id suggest you give them to me for double your price and ill jandel the problem for you hehe

I am traveling this week so I wont be much help but I believe the set up is same as with time windows one. Do you have pictures? I suspect you have timewindows ones and 3s if they look similar only smaller then they are ones

Back
Top Bottom