Anybody Interested In JBL Blue grille cloth for Restorations?

mech986

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Steve Gonzales on Lansing Heritage has found the original source for the JBL Blue grille cloth used on many of the JBL Professional monitors (4300 series) and the JBL Decades (L26, 36), L300 Summit, L65 Jubal, etc. It is a striking color that can be a nice change from black or brown on many speakers, not just JBL's.

Also, for those of you who have JBL L100's/4311/4312's, this would be an excellent replacement grille cloth if you wanted the Blue foam but can't get it (and the Quadrex pattern isn't available for now either).

An 83 yard remnant has been spoken for but there is interest in trying to get other committments to order a full 500 yard order from the factory. The cloth goes for $10.50/linear yard (at about 60-67" wide). Factor in about 1 pound per yard for shipping purposes from the west coast to you (try 91766 as a ship out point for calculations sake). I'm trying to help gauge the potential interest here and elsewhere.

Post here or PM me with any interests and your willingness to commit funds towards this. No order made until committments are firm, of course.

Let me know.

I'll take a yard or two!

Does anyone know if there is there a source for L-100 foam? Color is not important, I heard that there was indeed a source out there somewhere. I'm aware by the way, of the Radio Shack brown foam that was once available. I had some. No good! :thumbsdn:

Last edited:
Someone at the Lansing Heritage site had some Quadrex grilles available, but none are available now. There might be some plain ones. Do a search over there.

JBL Blue Cloth Update as of 8/31/05

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all your interest on the JBL Blue cloth. The cloth is the same material used for JBL Professional speakers and is a dark blue. I am not sure that it is as light as some of the blue cloth I saw in JBL consumer speakers. For sure it is not as "hot" a blue as the JBL L100 Quadrex Foam color was. However, it is a really rich shade and looks good in an understated way.

A different member of Lansing Heritage, Zilch, in Berekley, California, has secured a total 500 foot orderl of the fabric. Here is the information on the costs, and yes, it was more expensive than the original quote I gave at the beginning of the thread, so be prepared. On the other hand, the right blue cloth cost for most speakers, unless you're grilles are for the large format JBL Pro monitors, shouldn't be much more that 1-2 yards per pair.

Original thread:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5165

"The grille cloth is here, and it is right.

It's actually 68" wide.

The cost is $18/yard plus shipping within U.S.:
$3.85 for 1-2 yards
$7.70 for 3-5 yards
$12.05 for 6-9 yards
Free shipping for 10 or more yards

PM me for payment information.

If you're outside the U.S., PM me the amount you want and where you are and I'll figure out the shipping cost.

Zilchster"

The shipping would be from Zilch. If people wanted to work through me, and I got over 10 yards ordered, then I can ship yours out to you for the same costs as quoted above if under 10 yards. Over 10 yards, then we would need to talk.

Please let me know by PM (or here) if you want to go through me to order and then have me ship, or you will contact Zilch directly and and work through him. Either way is fine with me. I thiink we could assume that AK'ers and LH'ers are pretty much "cut from the same cloth", i.e. trustworthy. Please tell Zilch I sent you if you are going direct. Good Luck!

Regards.

Bart

Last edited:
I confirm I'm now interested in 5 yards of blue cloth.
I'm from Italy (Salerno).
Please quote me the total cost and how can I pay.
Thank you very much for your help.
My kindest regards,
Antonio

I'm interested in 4yards of blue cloth.
I'm from Italy (Salerno postal code: 84123).
Please quote me the total cost and how can I pay.
Is possible whith Paypal?
Thank you very much for your help.
My kindest regards,
Pasquale

Is it still possible to get the blue JBL fabric

My darn cat has made some irreparable marks on my precious 4315 :( ,

So I want a large amount of the fabric.

Regards ...

Stefan

This is an old thread.
There's a guy on LHS today offering grille cloth. I need to work on my L100s.
I'll contact him and ask if we can do a group buy.
Mods. I hope I'm not violating the rules. I'll hold off a few days before posting.

This is an old thread.
There's a guy on LHS today offering grille cloth. I need to work on my L100s.
I'll contact him and ask if we can do a group buy.
Mods. I hope I'm not violating the rules. I'll hold off a few days before posting.

That's the guy in the link I posted above, I think he's the only one still offering it since Zilch died and saeman has apparently moved on.

Yes, Huntley Audio seems to be a good source; I have no interest but I have been talking to the owner about a related project and his work and products look top-notch. He has the grill cloth in various vintage colors and he also sells nifty 4311 grill reproductions. I love the pictures of his shop on eBay; really neat stuff.

Back
Top Bottom