AR-3's SA Score! Maybe the best end of year score! PICS.

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I stopped at my local S.A. and saw these, nearly jumped out of my shoes!
DAMN!!! 19.99! They are sitting in my man cave and will need restoration as expected. The grills had been removed and silicon dabs were used to keep the grills on, but they popped right off.

Initial test, all the drivers work, though one tweeter is barely audible. I'm actually shocked that the sound! O/A very nice. Listening to Massive Attack-Angel, some very nice deep bass out of these!

The grills are pretty good except where there's some damage on the lower lip that ripped the cloth a bit. Easy enough to get replacement cloth from 123 Stitch. Also no badges.

I'll need to evaluate the cabs with a good sanding first, and see where I'm at if any major re-veneering is needed. There's a few chips missing but not to bad.

The lower lip damage will be the most challenging repair. SO I got my work cut out, but this should be a great resto project.

Here's the PICS.

Last edited:
Excellent find at a great price. They are actually fun to restore once you get into the project. Those cabs just might clean up nicely. Congratulations!

Wow! Those look nearly new. They'll be back on track in no time, eh? Figure bad capacitor for tweeter?

Biggles

Wow! Those look nearly new. They'll be back on track in no time, eh? Figure bad capacitor for tweeter?

Biggles

From all the work on the LST's with dead tweeters, these tweeters are known to die after all these years. For now I'm just going to listen and enjoy them for a few days before I start any major work, though the sand paper is calling to me!

From all the work on the LST's with dead tweeters, these tweeters are known to die after all these years. For now I'm just going to listen and enjoy them for a few days before I start any major work, though the sand paper is calling to me!

Wha? Really? You're going to post these images, post your find, then make us wait for the transformation? What's up with that?

You doof. What else you got going on that's so darned important that you can spend just 44 minutes with some sand paper on those things and show us some juicy progress! They're tiny little things, shouldn't take any time at all!

xo, Biggles

sweet find!, got your work cut out but will be worth it, just got done replacing tweets on my klh 354's i snagged last weekend on the cheap, they sound pretty darn good even with incorrect woofs at the moment, got my eyes peeled on some that should drop right in that are on the bay, hope to get them and see how they sound with correct woofs, enjoy the new project................:thmbsp:

Wha? Really? You're going to post these images, post your find, then make us wait for the transformation? What's up with that?

You doof. What else you got going on that's so darned important that you can spend just 44 minutes with some sand paper on those things and show us some juicy progress! They're tiny little things, shouldn't take any time at all!

xo, Biggles

I'm a tease huh! These have varnish on them, lots of tiny cracks in it. It'll be messy sanding these. I got a Dewalt hand held orbital sander from my daughter for Christmas, but got to get sanding discs for it. These will be a perfect first patient. I think I'd be better off sanding outside, and it's a bit chilly anyway.

Tiny compared to the Altecs, but these are effen heavy suckers.

sweet find!, got your work cut out but will be worth it, just got done replacing tweets on my klh 354's i snagged last weekend on the cheap, they sound pretty darn good even with incorrect woofs at the moment, got my eyes peeled on some that should drop right in that are on the bay, hope to get them and see how they sound with correct woofs, enjoy the new project................:thmbsp:

Just get those woofers and be done with it!

Damn cool! Congrats. Honestly you should be able to safely remove with a scraper. I usually wind up with a nice surface to work with before sanding. Less "material" removed that way. The trim fix will be more of a challenge, but serviceable.

Nice find GD I think the shacky just had a pair done and he loves them......Looking forward to watching your restore much luck to you....

OMG! My favorite speakers. Spent many a day in the AR listening room at Grand Central Station in the 60's listening to them being powered by the Dynaco ST70 with albums playing on the AR turntable. Because of budget requirements I ended up with AR 4x speakers, Dynaco SCA-35 amp and a Garrard changer. Got an AR XB later on. The AR 4x speakers are still in our family, handed down with new tweeter controls. Take your time and have a ball!

Just what you needed. Another project! O well what's a person to do when a gift horse is staring right at ya!

That pair seems to be calling out for a steam iron to lift some of those bumps and bruises.

Just what you needed. Another project! O well what's a person to do when a gift horse is staring right at ya!

I do need another project! Just what I was saying to my wife a few days ago, and bingo! I did some research and looked at pics and realized the two adjustment knobs on the back are missing/ broken off from the pots. I realized, this may be why one tweeter is barely audible. I got to replace them, spin those pots a bit and hopefully the tweeter will come to life, and it's just a corroded pot.

OMG! My favorite speakers. Spent many a day in the AR listening room at Grand Central Station in the 60's listening to them being powered by the Dynaco ST70 with albums playing on the AR turntable. Because of budget requirements I ended up with AR 4x speakers, Dynaco SCA-35 amp and a Garrard changer. Got an AR XB later on. The AR 4x speakers are still in our family, handed down with new tweeter controls. Take your time and have a ball!

Now that is cool! I commuted to GCT for years. Never knew AR had a listening room there.

The 4x's are excellent speakers and I love mine. Maybe some day I'll get hold of a Dynaco amp. Definitely want to try some tubes down the road.

Those will keep you busy. Nice find. Let us see em when you're done.

I'll document the restoration as I progress for sure. I recently restored a pair of LST2's and had a thread documenting that project.

I figure good to show the progress and get all the advice I can from more experienced AKers.

Damn cool! Congrats. Honestly you should be able to safely remove with a scraper. I usually wind up with a nice surface to work with before sanding. Less "material" removed that way. The trim fix will be more of a challenge, but serviceable.

Hey Copa,

I'll try the scraper a bit and see how it goes. I agree, don't want to remove too much veneer.

Glenn

I'd strip the varnish, proceed to fill imperfections with woodfiller/bondo, then get to sanding being very careful of the edges and trim pieces.
Progressive coats of Watco or stain of choice.
Polish and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom