What's Your Favorite Tuner?

RedRocket

What's your favorite tuner that you own and why is it your favorite?

Mine is my Yamaha CR-820 because Yamaha's "Natural Sound" really is different.

Marantz and SAE

I recently picked up a Marantz ST6000 and I love the sound of it. This is a very nice sounding tuner. Good reception on most every station except the weak ones.

I have an old SAE Mark VIII that doesn't sound as nice as the Marantz, but it sure can pull in the stations. You can fine tune the signal and pull in the weakest stations. A nice tuner for its age.

That I own?

Sherwood S-2000 (unsuffixed)

DSC_8058 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

On the top of the Sherwood short stack in the photo; AM/FM mono.

In the interest of full and complete disclosure, though, I am now using an S-3000V, taking advantage of its built-in MPX stereo :)

Sherwood S3000 V 1 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

My favorite tuner that I don't own, however, would be the REL Precedent.

tuner

My all time favorite is the old Scott tube with the large tuning dial. Later versions were really good. Very rare now a days.
I had a Scott 312 I believe but that was long ago(40 years).

Paul

The vintage HH Scotts aren't rare at all, at least in New England...

great scott by mhardy6647, on Flickr

They are very good tuners; I have a friend with a Scott 310E - which is absolutely superb.

My motley little Scotty collection, however, is bettered by the Sherwoods. None of them is in the same league as the 310E, though!

Speaking of the (soiled state) Scott 312... ;-)

Scott312D by mhardy6647, on Flickr

My favourite would have to be the Yamaha T-2:

9617108998_95c6eb2531_b_d.jpg

It looks very elegant, sounds amazing on a good broadcast and has very good sensitivity and selectivity. The best tuner I've heard so far.

Regards,
Nick

When you weight the cost vs sound vs features, I'd have to say my Sherwood S-32cp.
For what I paid when I bought it, the unit is solid. Great selective tuner section, decent MPX Filter, and nice flywheel feel on tuning.

Tie between my Scott lt-110 and my Creek t43, both about as different from each other as they can be.

Thanks for the memories

Great to see old time Scotts in working order. The 312 brings back memories also.

Long gone donations to newbie nephews. They turned around and sold them for squat. I figured they'd keep them for their own system. So much for my figuring. I almost cried when I found out they sold them.
Maybe in 1980's.
I have a Crown FM-1 that works great(look like a slab of aluminum with lights) and has for 40 years. But.... Scott was beautiful!!!!

Paul

Tough call between the TRIO Model 600T supreme and the TRIO KT-917 FM only tuners.
Whilst the 600T had a MRRP of $650.00 back in 1976 compared to the KT-917's $1,000.00 in 1979,with inflation taken into consideration there's a lot less price difference between 'em than expected.
In-terms of sound quality,they're both amazing... So much,in fact that I can't really tell 'em apart,although the KT-917 might have a very slightly wider sound stage.In-terms of looks and build quality,I think they're both truly awesome,but if I had to choose just the one,the 600T would be pipped to the post by the KT-917.

My tuner fleet are like children to me - love them all for different reasons.

My main tuner in my main system is a MR71. Great blend of clarity and tube fullness.

It's backup is a Yamaha T-2. It is ever clearer than the Mac but I don't need its superior RF performance with the single station I listen to.

The bedroom system has a Sherwood S-3000V that is in many ways superior to the Mac in SQ but not nearly as attractive or as serious looking. I will say I get no drift with it - always locked on steady to my station.

Lastly, the Sony STR-5000F is the most authoritative and has the most detail in sound. The STR-6200F tuner is its equal.

Then there's the Sony ST-J75 and ST-730ES. The former is a test bed for op amps and the latter is a perfect cosmetic match for my pre amp and amps although I seldom even power it on.

Most lamented is the Scott 310E I had. Best sound quality of the lot and very sensitive but I had to sell it to raise some quick cash for my daughter's college.

Onkyo T-4711.
- RDS
- Dual signal strength meters, one a numeric readout
- One of the few full-function remotes
- Fine tuning on FM
- Quite sensitive and selective

Onkyo doesn't have the best reputation for sound, but I really have no complaints.

calls.jpg

front2.jpg

A close second is the T-9090 II, which sounds a little better. It's also more sensitive than the Sony HD radio. I think it's not my favorite because I got it second, and the T-4711 really spoiled me on ease-of-use.

9090.jpg

9090-lt.jpg

9090-center.jpg

9090-rt.jpg

I have to mention my Denon TU-800L as well. It's the best synthesised tuner I've ever used for it's combination of audio quality and RF performance. It is a top tuner for both sound and DX. Best of all is that it only cost £22, which is about $36.

Regards,
Nick

For style, nothing matches my Scott 4312; it's like a Cadillac with tail fins. The Harman/Kardon Citation III-X is a close second.

For sonic transparency and quieting, nothing has beaten the Rotel RHT-10.

Best ergonomics: Mitsubishi DA-F20. Very close to the Rotel in sound quality.

I had a Scott 310B in the 80's and nineties that I am sorry I parted with. I was able to DX Jazz stations from CT. and PA. from my home in E. Orange NJ with a rabbit ear antenna! and it sounded great.
14.JPG

If I could have any of the tuners I own, or have owned, it would be the Realistic TM-1001. It would be for sentimental reasons (my first tuner), for its great FM performance, and for the available upgrades from White Oak Audio.

Carver TX-11a. I used to use it tons until FM in So. Cal. became a wasteland. Now my wife uses it to listen to Prairie Home Companion. I the quality if broadcast, the Carver is up to the chore.

Back
Top Bottom