Just scored this on e-pay

kf8xo

Puts back the magic smoke
AKAI FM AM STEREO DIGITAL SYNTHESIZER TUNER AT-V04. $60 shipped.

I like the digital display with a tuning knob...did I do ok? I thought the specs looked pretty good.
Akai Tuner AT-V04

Yup, ya done fine - FMTuner has a short write up that seems to like it.

As always, no good tuner is any good without a good antenna....

What are the specs? I like it because it looks like one of the last eighties models to have that amphibious blend of old school loopstick AM and "modern" digital technology. My Pioneer SX-6 is like that, with an LA-1247 for AM. It's a receiver, but one of my best "tuners". What's the AM chip in this one?

What are the specs? I like it because it looks like one of the last eighties models to have that amphibious blend of old school loopstick AM and "modern" digital technology. My Pioneer SX-6 is like that, with an LA-1247 for AM. It's a receiver, but one of my best "tuners". What's the AM chip in this one?

Sensitivity: 1.9uV (FM), 150uV (MW)
Signal to Noise Ratio: 73dB (FM), 55dB (MW)
Distortion: 0.12% (FM)
Selectivity: 65dB (FM), 30dB (MW)

From T.I.C.: The 4-gang AT-V04 is a fairly common FM/AM digital tuner that was considered close to state-of-the-art for FM DXers in the early 1980s (if one excludes the Mac MR 78). Our contributor Marcus tells us that the AT-V04 tunes in 0.05 MHz increments for FM and 1 kHz increments for AM (highly unusual and great for AM DXers) and has 7 presets for each band. It claimed an excellent 1.6 µV IHF sensitivity on FM and, with alternate channel selectivity of only 75 dB, might be a good candidate for a filter mod. Stock, it has 3 blue GDT-type ceramic filters. Our panelist Bob says the AT-V04 is "possibly the only cheap digital with a full analog feel. Not like the analog knob digitals - it is truly full analog tuning, like a Magnum. It goes into analog mode to tune off-channel. The front panel has a high-quality look and feel, all metal with metal buttons and knobs. The controls feel solid. There is a mini flywheel and tuning string inside, really cute as it is so small." There are buttons for two levels of muting on the front panel, and the back panel includes antenna attenuation switches (local/distant) for both FM and AM, and muting level and output level adjustments.

So, I notice there is a "plug" I need to find to hook this up to the am dipole. Can someone tell me what it is called, and where or if I can get my hands on one. The way this plays on FM, I can't wait to try it on AM!

Back
Top Bottom