Cv3000, 317p's, Infinity reference 5, or Polk Monitor 80

spent21

So I've been looking for a set of bonus room speakers. I ended up moving the Yamaha HTIB surround back down to the living room after a huge disappointment from a soundbar. :no:
I've been looking high and low for some decent speakers that are reasonably priced. Most people around here think that their ratty a/v equipment is made of gold, so it's been a tough time.
I'm only planning on going 2-way and not the 5.1 direction. I've come across these two sets and was hoping to get your feedback.

317p's are in good shape. They appear to have been re-foamed at some point. They seem to work ok. Guy was trying to play them with a no-name dvd player so I never really heard them hit hard (plus he had moved them to the garage).
He wants $200 for them and will not budge on the price.
cv317p_zps4025e259.jpg

cv317p2_zpsb01cce5a.jpg

the other pair is a set of CV3000's
I haven't gone to look at them yet, but I did talk to the guy. He said they were re-foamed about 4 years ago. He's asking $150, but they've also been listed for over a month.
cv3000_zps5a94c397.jpg

A local guy that did my mysterious D2 surrounds (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=588217) said the 317's would definately be the better set to have and worth the $200. He was steering me away from some New overstock Polk Monitor 80's ($320) and showed me a whole wall of Polk speakers that had the magnets come unglued from the back... common problem he says. He had what I believe to be some old Infinity reference 5's that needed to be reworked that he said would be in my price range...

Which direction should I go?
Mind you, I seem to be in a Audio / Speaker wasteland.

Thanks!

New overstock Polk Monitor 80's

I don't know of any Monitor 80. The recent Monitor line included a 50, 60 and 70 but no 80. There were multiple iterations of the recent Monitor line, inluding TSi, Series II, "New Monitor" (75T, 65T, 45B, etc), etc. There are many reviews on Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy, etc for these speaker lineups. If there is a major issue with the magnets of any of those models I'm sure you'll be able to find a ton of people talking about it through a quick google search of the model number and problem. I've had the 40, 60, 70 and 70 Series II and I was happy with the performance of all of them for the prices I paid.

of the speakers the OP mentioned, none can touch the infinity reference fives (or even come close). the early 90s reference fives are some of the last of the nudell designed infinitys, and emit-r tweeters and graphite-coned mids & woofs were as advanced as infinity ever got. that said, the "need to be reworked" issue bears further investigation. if it's a simple refoam of the mids and woofs (common), jump on them. just be sure to feed them at least 100 watts, and live happily ever after.

70 Series II

Fair enough. I had a pair of those and liked the sound. I think you could do better for the money if you bought used and older, but you could also make a lot worse of a choice than those Polks. If I had continued my plan for a home theater, I would probably be using those as mains.

Back
Top Bottom