Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Hypnotic Eye

alienprophet

Anyone get the new TP&tH album?

I am curious as to which version to purchase. I think I have it narrowed down to the standard 140g lp or the blu ray disc.

My concern is that the standard cd and the flac download suffer from compression / loudness war. Normally I would prefer to go with the BR version, especially in the 5.1. However I dont have the means to rip a BR disc, so I would rather get the vinyl and copy that to the computer.

So does anyone have the standard cd or flac download? If so is it okay or do your ears bleed and cry for mercy after 3 songs?

I just got the cd in the mail as a promo for buying tickets to his tour. Haven't had the chance to play it though, perhaps this weekend.

According to this, go for the HD Track version:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=hypnotic+eye

I also have the CD and the digital download (HD Track) and can confirm these DR levels. The CD is bricked (though at least it does not have audible distortion ((crackling)) ), the HD Track version is much better, much better air and dynamics and a lot less LOUD (you know, we do have volume knobs!). I'd expect the vinyl to also have a good DR per the norm these days, and I'd expect the BR version to as well, as it should be like the "hi def" digital download.

Why the CD can't have a nice DR like other versions is ridiculous; nothing about Redbook CD is inferior in any way to "hi def" formats or vinyl. I think they are trying to market "hi def" formats and vinyl to "audiophiles" when really all formats should all have the same, or near same, DR levels like they used to pre Loudness War era. At least some formats have a good DR level though, but it's silly to have to buy an album 2 or 3 times to compare the different versions' SQ to get a decent version while other versions are literally defective (and don't need to be). If one version has a non-bricked DR, then ALL versions can and should and the consumer can then purchase his/her preferred version (which, for me, is straight Redbook CD). /End rant. :rant: :D

I'm not the biggest TP fan (though I do have all of his albums), but it's getting average to good reviews and so far I'm liking it (playing it for the first time right now), much better than I like Mojo.

According to this, go for the HD Track version:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=hypnotic+eye

I also have the CD and the digital download (HD Track) and can confirm these DR levels. The CD is bricked (though at least it does not have audible distortion ((crackling)) ), the HD Track version is much better, much better air and dynamics and a lot less LOUD (you know, we do have volume knobs!). I'd expect the vinyl to also have a good DR per the norm these days, and I'd expect the BR version to as well, as it should be like the "hi def" digital download.

Why the CD can't have a nice DR like other versions is ridiculous; nothing about Redbook CD is inferior in any way to "hi def" formats or vinyl. I think they are trying to market "hi def" formats and vinyl to "audiophiles" when really all formats should all have the same, or near same, DR levels like they used to pre Loudness War era. At least some formats have a good DR level though, but it's silly to have to buy an album 2 or 3 times to compare the different versions' SQ to get a decent version while other versions are literally defective (and don't need to be). If one version has a non-bricked DR, then ALL versions can and should and the consumer can then purchase his/her preferred version (which, for me, is straight Redbook CD). /End rant. :rant: :D

I agree with this entire statement. It is irritating that we need to spend double for the vinyl or HD version to get sound quality that can be matched on a properly mastered CD.

Thanks for your detailed response.

I agree with this entire statement. It is irritating that we need to spend double for the vinyl or HD version to get sound quality that can be matched on a properly mastered CD.

Thanks for your detailed response.

Thanks, wasn't trying to derail the thread into a Loudness War rant, but I needed to vent I suppose and thought such issues were germane to the discussion.

Often, if you go to that DR site and check, the HD/"Hi - Res" versions have the same DR as a new CD (that is, bricked/compressed) and only the vinyl has a DR that is good. I HATE that as I dislike vinyl for the inherent limitations of the format (surface noise!) as well as that they cost more than a regular Redbook CD. If the vinyl has a good DR, then WHY can the CD not as well?! That's exactly how it used to be! :mad:

Before I start ranting again :D, I'll just mention that I'm happy with this album: just finished it and it's pretty good! Feel like listening again. Think my favorite track is Shadow People. :music: And at least there is a good digital version of the album so I'm not forced to buy the vinyl in order to be able to get some measure of SQ from it!

-going to see Arcade Fire tomorrow night with my concert buddy and he is bringing me a copy of the new TP album.... - can't wait.... from what I have read and heard... it sounds like a throwback rocker from his early days..... Tom is visiting LA in Oct and I am still trying to figure out how to get out of a wedding invite so I can see him at the Forum. ec

So I decided to go with the 5.1 Blu Ray with the included flac download from TP website. Today I get an email saying the BR is on backorder, could be a month!!

At least I have the flac download. Doesnt sound too compressed, but I was eager to hear the hirez surround.

I listened to it once streamed from NPR and liked the songs. Today I got an MP3 copy which will probably sound like mp3. It may hold me over until I decide to get the LP or HD download. :lurk:

edit: Is the download that comes with the LP the same 48/24 FLAC hirez that comes with the BR? The description at Elusive doesn't say.

Last edited:
Bought the CD in spite of the dire quality warnings. Great old TP and the Heartbreakers vibe to it, I've really been enjoying it.

I pre-ordered the LP from Amazon and was told I would get it the day it was released. Instead I received an e-mail on the day I was expecting to get the LP that it was out of stock and they would let me opt out or be alerted when they got restocked and could estimate a delivery date. :mad: Well at least I had the horrible sounding free download. I have been listening to that for a week. The music was OK but the SQ was lifeless. :tears:

Finally today, a week later, UPS dropped off my LP. A quick spin on the RCM then to the turntable. WOW! It's like hearing it for the first time. The dynamics and clarity kick ass!

I had held back any opinions of the LP until I had a hard copy in my hands. I won't be listening to the crappy MP3 download anymore. :nono: I highly recommend the vinyl LP. :thmbsp:

I preordered the LP from Amazon too. Still waiting. Not too pleased with this but sure am looking forward to hearing it!

I pre-ordered the LP from Amazon and was told I would get it the day it was released. Instead I received an e-mail on the day I was expecting to get the LP that it was out of stock and they would let me opt out or be alerted when they got restocked and could estimate a delivery date. :mad: Well at least I had the horrible sounding free download. I have been listening to that for a week. The music was OK but the SQ was lifeless. :tears:

Finally today, a week later, UPS dropped off my LP. A quick spin on the RCM then to the turntable. WOW! It's like hearing it for the first time. The dynamics and clarity kick ass!

I had held back any opinions of the LP until I had a hard copy in my hands. I won't be listening to the crappy MP3 download anymore. :nono: I highly recommend the vinyl LP. :thmbsp:

Glad to hear that the SQ was much improved on the vinyl, makes me even more eager to receive my BR. Curious, did you get the 140g or the 180g double?

Back
Top Bottom