My review of the KEF R300 Bookshelf speakers

impeculies

Greetings fellow AKer's. I spent a long time agonizing over what to replace my Monitor Audio RX8's with, and I can say I finally landed a pair of speakers that continue to make me happy with their performance. I wrote a rather lengthy explanation for the why, how and what. I do not see much written on the R300's, but what is out there was compelling enough for me. I also wanted to contribute to them receiving more praise. Please enjoy, feedback is always welcome.

http://jasonrmanning.hubpages.com/hub/KEF-R300-An-Owners-Journey

Thank you Art, the great thing is so many of my albums sounded so good, I really had a hard time choosing which I should mention, I do like giving lesser known albums a bump. How are you loving those LS50's?

Thank you Art, the great thing is so many of my albums sounded so good, I really had a hard time choosing which I should mention, I do like giving lesser known albums a bump. How are you loving those LS50's?

They are fabulous. Listening to Woody Shaw on them as I type.

Congrats!
Those speakers were in my short list when I wanted to upgrade my speakers two years ago, and NEVER did, still don't!
As a matter of fact never heard the R range of KEF!
That brand is badly represented in Portugal, it's a shame that KEF still suports this national dealer!

I here you loud and clear, coincidentally, only one distributor in the US as well, and that was through KEF direct. I wasn't too worried about what to expect, assumptions are one thing, but let me tell you, I cannot imagine many others sounding like this for the same price. Now, if my buddy over in Meadow Vista ever gets those LSA 1 Statements, hint hint...:thmbsp:
Thank you for commenting

Last edited:
Greetings, here are a few pictures. Please note that this was upon break in period, the sub has been moved to just behind the right monitor, away from the corner. The remote control for the Polk Pro550wi made integrating a snap. I pulled out the low quality stuffing, lined it with FatMat and re-stuffed with Polyfil. Given how awesome everything sounds to me, my next change will be the USB cable. I plan to try out the Kingrex UArt powered USB Y cable next year. I will also buy another Pro550wi for the left side. eBay has these for $299 refurbished, free delivery and warranty - beats paying $540 on Crutchfield...

Attachments

• 0321141633.jpg
    0321141633.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 0321141636.jpg
    0321141636.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 0321141635.jpg
    0321141635.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 83
Those look great and I know they sound wonderful too. Coming from RX6's I know what sort of transition that is. :thmbsp:
What can you tell me about that Marantz? They look interesting and I wonder about the pairing. I know you only have a little time with the combo, but any amp comments would be appreciated.

Those look great and I know they sound wonderful too. Coming from RX6's I know what sort of transition that is. :thmbsp:
What can you tell me about that Marantz? They look interesting and I wonder about the pairing. I know you only have a little time with the combo, but any amp comments would be appreciated.

Hi Frank, you caught me in the right moment, I am listening to the new Puss N Boots album featuring Nora Jones - really impressive folksy CD.
How funny, you went for the R500 after living with RX6's; that really helps me tell you the differences, especially since I was interested in the A S2000 as well. Simply put, these R300's are making the Marantz sound like great mid-priced separates. Honestly, there is only a $50 difference from my RX8's to the R300's and yet the extra resolution, sound stage, leading edge, all of it is a true 15% improvement (I keep coming back to that number as every album I am playing just has more in every category, some of it dramatic). The RX8's imaged really well, especially after I improved the baffling and inner walls, yet the cabinet walls of the KEF's are dead:yes:. This really translates into oozing details out.

I cannot talk about how much I love my Marantz amp without gushing over how much I am rewarded by the KEF upgrade. I've had the Marantz since October or so of last year, I really think it has improved with age to the point where I absolutely could live with it for a very long time, even when I want to try about 12 other DAC's... Efficiency wise, I do not have to turn the dial up as high with KEF's, but I think the synergy of the Musical Fidelity M1 SDAC preamp function is much the cause of that. The Marantz is very transparent to system changes, I noticed a dramatic change in the mid-range details when I switch out from Audioquest King Cobra's up to the AQ Colorado's: I mean it was instantly apparent the first minute into one of my test songs.

In being truly honest, if these R300's are this much more resolving over the Monitor Audio's, I cannot help but think what a pair of LSA Statements or Vapor Audio Stiff Breeze would be like with the RAAL tweeter. It's one of those thoughts you get where one wonders "okay, what else can you do that you are not telling me?:scratch2:" Add to the fact that I paid a grand less than retail, I do not see my Marantz going anywhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom