Let's see your cans!

Thanks. I really enjoy them. Almost done with the rest of the setup but I have been saying that for a few years now.

A few posts back you can see how I wired my Q701 up to my Emotiva Mini-X speaker amp. At first I had just used the bare wire into the binding posts, then I got some Banana plugs and wired them up that way. My first attempt at making them look good and strong was a bit of a weak attempt. Well today I found some metal sleeves to press into the banana plugs since the Q701 wire is so tiny, and the Banana plugs accept up to a 12 gauge wire. I also got some heat shrink tubing. The sleeves with the smaller ID and the heat shrink tubing essentially allowed me to make some strong, and IMO some pretty decent looking strain reliefs. The heavy and all metal banana plugs coupled with the very small gauge wire of the Q701 cable seems a lot less fragile now. I left a little bit of the colored wire uncovered by the heat shrink tubing so I can tell which wires are which color so I know which is left, right, and ground when I hook it up.

Let me know what you guys think, but I think it looks a hell of a lot better and stronger now:

LL

LL

Very nice. I have heard the emotiva's are great for headphones. What does it sound like? I love the d.i.y. community.

DROOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks. They can be drool worthy at times but still I bought all 3 of them brand new for less than an uber Abyss 1266, r10, or the 009. What's even scarier is you can buy all 3 uber phones for the price of an Orpheus.

I have yet to hear an uber phone but I will take my variety package for right now.

Very nice. I have heard the emotiva's are great for headphones. What does it sound like? I love the d.i.y. community.

Well, they still sound like a Q701, but bigger and better. Massive soundstage, nice imaging, explosive dynamics, the bass is the best I have heard it, and tons of detail everywhere. I've used these on a Fiio E17 which is a budget portable amp/DAC. I've used them on a vintage Pioneer SX-750 headphone out, and now the Emotiva. The Emotiva directly off of the speaker taps is definitely quite a listen, but I've also never used the Q701 with a higher end headphone amp so I can't compare. I already had the Emotiva for speaker duty, but now when I want to listen to headphones at my desk I can unplug the speakers which are also on banana plugs, and then plug the headphones in. I was about ready to buy a Schiit Vali or Magni, but decided to try this since I had nothing to lose and it cost me nothing extra. I can't take the volume past the 9 o'clock area on the knob, but there is still plenty of adjustment there.

Nova 15's

Scored these mint from the bay...not bad for close to 40 years old.

Attachments

• nova 15-2.jpg
    nova 15-2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 58
  • nova 15.jpg
    nova 15.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 45
Nice lcd-2. I see it's the new fazor model. What do you think of it's sound? The new graphs look a bit dif. than the older models. Does it have enough sub-bass?

It sounds lush & rich. The bass is accurate, deep, yet tight and realistic. The FR has changed from the original non fazor version. Less roll off.

It's one of the best sounding headphones to ever sit on my head.

My hi-fi stack:

WP_20140907_001_zps6b27b8fb.jpg

I have had my Sennheiser HD - 424 for over 30 years - I plan on taking them to the NY audio show and comparing them to lastest offerings

Beyerdynamic DT-990 600 ohm, paired with a cmoy amp from JDL labs.

Attachments

• IMG_1524[1].jpg
    IMG_1524[1].jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 63
For hard to drive cans those little altoids tins are awesome. Your dt-990 600 ohm probably sounds a good $100+ better for probably allot less than $100? Easy to drive cans I did not have a good experience though. That amp and an hd 600 was my first headphone combo back around 4 years ago. Should have stopped there, it really did sound good.

For hard to drive cans those little altoids tins are awesome. Your dt-990 600 ohm probably sounds a good $100+ better for probably allot less than $100? Easy to drive cans I did not have a good experience though. That amp and an hd 600 was my first headphone combo back around 4 years ago. Should have stopped there, it really did sound good.

The amp is the best $70 audio purchase I've ever bought. I got the one with 2 9V batteries, and those last for a very long time. I also use this to drive ath-m50 when I'm commuting. The m50 doesn't need it, but it definitely improve the sound coming from my iPod.

Grado HP-1000 drivers in a custom walnut headset with Joe Grado everything else. Little Dot i+ amp with upgraded tubes and opamp.

Attachments

• IMG_201412336_105814.jpg
    IMG_201412336_105814.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
still kicking

Went through many headphones from dynamics, planers and electrostatic and, this 240DF is still here and still really enjoy them. Over the years they went several modifications and rewiring. For now I think they are so perfect with my beat up shure 840 pads with piece of felt inside and using cotton balls stuffed underneath to act as pad fluffers/spacers. I think these will continue to stay with me.

Right now they're being driven by my crown ce2000 power amp speaker outputs and sounds wonderful.

If my pic comes upside down it's cause my phone is retarded. Also probably not the greatest of quality either lol.

Attachments

• 20141214_091614.jpg
    20141214_091614.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 81
My work system. Woo Audio WA7 + WA7tp (tube power supply), Sennheiser HD800 and Nordost Heimdall2 headphone cable, USB and power cables.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WA7.jpg
    WA7.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 355
Back
Top Bottom