Nice Luxman find

@jmela
I have that rack in the ad. Bought it in Japan in the late '70s for cheap at a Hi-Fi store in Hachinohe.

So those other units shown were actually made and sold, at least in Japan? From reading the ad itself, it sounds like that didn't happen.

The 5M21 arrived today, looks perfect! I was a little surprised and dismayed to see the audio cable included that the original owner apparently used to connect it to the preamp. A $1-at-most stereo RCA cord. Tragic. Makes me wonder if they used cheap lamp-type "zip" cord for the speakers, too. I will certainly use much better!

Tuner and preamp (5T10, 5C50) scheduled to arrive Monday.

It's kind of an odd thing, being able to finally get something this nice. And all of them in near/mint-in-box condition too! At times I think I want to just keep them in the boxes forever, and have them buried with me.

The 5C50 and 5T10 were delivered yesterday by FedEx. I wasn't home, because I had other things to do (all day, in fact) and because I wasn't expecting them so quickly.

Odd thing, they were left inside my patio gate even though the gate was closed and locked. Which might suggest they were just TOSSED OVER THE WALL, oh noes! But the boxes were on edge, and right next to each other. Which I suppose suggests that the driver climbed over my wall at least. Or something. I'll probably never know for sure, because while I do have a video camera for the patio, I didn't have the recorder going yesterday.

Nothing is rattling inside the boxes, but I haven't actually hooked them up yet. I wasn't in a hurry for doing that before, but now I suppose under the circumstances, I should be. So I can file a damage claim if necessary, ASAP.

Well, based on how solidly these are built I'd say there's a good chance they'd survive being dropped or even thrown over the fence. LRS gear has a VERY robust physical design & construction.

John

I suppose it's more likely the power amp (5M21) would have been damaged from that treatment. But I picked that up myself from the PO. Actually I'm the one who requested the preamp/tuner person use FedEx because of my past history with them, and I may yet prove to have been right still. But if they did get tossed... Grrrr....

And here I was a bit miffed that the power amp seller used USPS!!!!

There is no perfect carrier... and you get what you get often based just on whether the driver/delivery person cares about their job or not. I've never had problems with them throwing boxes around other than one asswipe that decided to stack a big'un up on my newish custom wood doorstep and cracked it. And, I once found a JBL B380 on the porch in a box that looked like it had been rolled all the way to San Diego from Utah but I have no reason to believe the damage took place in the final 50' or so.

Speaking personally, give me UPS or the post office vs. Fedex home delivery any time. If nothing else, my local post office is a few minutes away vs. a 20+ minute drive to get to the pickup offices for the other two.

Post us some nice pics when you get all of these components set up!

John

I will do that, even though they pics won't look any different from any other person's pics of that setup. :)

Well to a large extent, of course the main thing is quality of packing. Especially for a larger/heavier item, if the packing allows for any 'flexing,' the shifting of the item can wear down and tear apart even a very sturdy box. That's one reason I tell people who are shipping me something, not to use 'foam peanuts.' They compress and stop protecting.

The Luxman pieces have very sturdy boxes, combined with inner foam pieces that hold tight so the box doesn't come apart from flexing, even though even the preamp and tuner are surprisingly heavy.

Yes, having a diecast metal chassis inside gear will tend to make it heavier!

There are only a few of these systems up and running in the AK community, always nice to see pics of a new system set up.

I'm overdue to do the same but in my defense I'm still working on some of them and the stack hasn't found a permanent home anywhere in the house, either. It'll look a little different being based around the 5L15 instead of 5C50/5M20 or 5M21 but you still get the big meters and lots of switches and knobs, just confined to a single faceplate.

John

I have the same problem, there's no place really to set them up, other than just temporarily for testing. I have the Mitsubishi dual-mono separates in the living room now, and they do fine. I'm not really planning to replace them with the Luxmans. I might put them in my bedroom to replace the nice Technics SU-7300 and ST-7300 I have in there now, for night-time music, but the Luxmans seem like overkill for that.

Yep that's right, I had no room but I got them anyway! Isn't that one of the things people on this site are about? :)

I'm surprised I got such a deal though, considering their condition etc. Aren't more people interested in them, especially on here?

I haven't seen any good close-ups of the 5L15, are its meters scaled in watts? On the 5M21 they're in decibels.

Last edited:
Here's a good ad from the period:

Luxman_LRS.jpg

Dear god not an.......equalizer!:yikes:

I'm not too worried about tone control/EQ. I don't even use the bass/treble controls on the current Mitsubishi DA-C20 in my living room.

For now, if necessary, I have a nice Lux G120a EQ that I could use. And if removed from its outer rosewood cabinet, it might match the LRS pieces better than it does now. The "real" LRS EQ/tone control are probably VERY hard to find.

It seems from that ad, that I paid less than half the listed price for each piece I got. All near/mint in original boxes. And those were, what, late 1970s prices? I'm not unhappy.

5L15, borrowed from www.hifido.co.jp:

a.jpg

The meters are in watts:

d.jpg

Mine had a dead meter, but I was able to find a technician that replaced the movement on that one.

John

By the way, it seems clear that the 5T50 might have been Luxman's first digital tuner, but the HH Scott T 33 S beat it by at least 2 years, using a Nixie-tube frequency display and allowed for storing station settings on special cards. And the model 433 apparently came out even earlier, in 1971.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused, is the K-12 deck that I already have, supposed to be better than the K-10? It doesn't seem like it could be, despite the numbering, just based on appearance. I have the opportunity to get a very nice K-10 to go with my LRS components, but if the K-12 is better, maybe I should get it serviced instead.

K-12 is better. On the spec sheet the only difference (W&F, S/N, Freq) is the high frequency response spec goes a bit higher on the 12. Additionally the analyzed distortion is lower. Whatever analyzed distortion is. The rated distortion is the same.

And the 12 is a much, much better looking machine with the Fluorescent peak reading display instead of the standard LED bars.

I guess that doesn't really surprise me. But the K-10 does look more like the matching 5K50 deck from the LRS series. That's something I'm keeping in mind as I make decisions.

My K-12 doesn't have the wood cabinet though, so it probably would match the other LRS components more in that way. And I don't remember ever seeing the K-10 without the wood cabinet. I don't know what you'd have, if you removed it. Is there a nice metal shell underneath? Or just the open chassis?

Same thing with the G120a EQ that I already have. Since I may never be able to get the 5G12 EQ from the LRS series.

The 5G12 and if you don't have one the 5F70 show up from time to time floatin' in the bay. Keep looking

The G-120a was avail without the plastic wood or with it. In both cases there was not another case with the unit so when you open the eq, you will see parts not an inner metal cabinet.

I have not seen a K-10 with a wood cabinet.

This is odd. The K-10 is identical to the K-12 in looks except the K-12 has the same metering system as the 5K50. This to me makes the K-12 a closer match to the LRS gear, but the LRS is smooth finished aluminum and the K-12 is a bit champagne and a satin finish. Not knowing the K-10 I would think it is very similar to the K-12 but it may be a smooth finish with a bit of champagne, making it more LRS like in some instances.

Back
Top Bottom