Thinking of jumping into Modern Hi Fi

Joewp

So the bulk of my gear the last few years has been vintage, usually a Marantz 22XX and Dynaco A-25's. Now I've had a Clearaudio Concept TT for about two weeks, and I love it, but I'm thinking of modernizing my stereo around it.

What I'm currently using:

Pioneer SA-9500 integrated amp and a pair of re-capped KLH-20's

I feel like the pioneer is too much amp for me, with too many options, I'm thinking about the Rega Brio-R or something from Cambridge audio.

As far as speakers, I'm not quite sure. I'd like something smaller than the KLH's that still have a full sound and cost $700 or less, so I'm not sure if I want bookshelves or Floor Standing. I sit about 10 - 12 feet from the speakers in my living room, but my house is open plan, so side to side it's maybe 16 feet, but is very deep front to back (the speakers face side to side, if that helps)

Any ideas? or was that just a lot of rambling?

I loved the Brio-R in the short time I had one. I sold it rather quickly cause a preamp I had been looking for came available to me and I had to have it. I will definitely be purchasing a Brio-R again in the future. I don't thing you can go wrong there.

As for speakers. In your budget I would look at the Tekton Design M-Lore. I had the Lores and they were fantastic. Again, only sold them to find another purchase. I think that I might try this combo down the road.

My 2 cents.

- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever you do go and audition gear you are interested in....I have to imagine there are several hifi shops in MD/DC/NoVa you can get to and listen.

I'm going to look in to the mini watt. I've been thinking a little about chinese tube amps also!

If I were in your shoes, I'd make it a point to head to Capital Audio Fest next month. It's not the biggest show, but it will give you a nice idea of what the trends in modern hi-fi are, and comparing that many systems back-to-back is a great way to determine exactly what type of sound you're looking for.

Ah that's right! I forgot that was coming up! I'll need to look in to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joewp, I recommend taking advantage of Magnepan's 30 day home trial offer on their MMG speakers. They don't work for everyone, but have near-universal praise. "A taste of the high-end for $600" is one reviewer's summary. IMO that is not an exaggeration. :music:

I've looked at those too, just need to check the dimensions.

Joewp, I recommend taking advantage of Magnepan's 30 day home trial offer on their MMG speakers. They don't work for everyone, but have near-universal praise. "A taste of the high-end for $600" is one reviewer's summary. IMO that is not an exaggeration. :music:

I've owned MMGs and the Tekton Lores. I'll take the DR Fullranger ALL DAY! Plus the Tektons will give you a lot more flexibility in amps. My opinion.

- Woody

Thanks Woody,

I think I'm going to listen to the MMG's this weekend or next week, I only fear that I don't have the space to give them the 3 foot clearance from the wall. Row houses can be pretty skinny. The Lore-M seem to be a pretty good size, but not being able to hear them first is a bit of a turn off.

I'm also going to throw the Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 into the ring as an amp option, the fact that it has a headphone out interests me. It also seems pretty well reviewed around here.

I'm also going to throw the Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 into the ring as an amp option, the fact that it has a headphone out interests me. It also seems pretty well reviewed around here.

I have had that amplifier and it's a very nice sounding amp. Highly enjoyable!

It gets little press but this teac sounds great:
4ezu6evy.jpg

Looks will give you a bit of a throwback style too...

http://www.teac.com/product/ai-501da/

I saw that too, it looks great! And it streams I believe.

You might as well try tubes as they seem to be in many folk's future. The fun that comes with trying different tubes to achieve different sounds can be a hobby in itself.

Not only do SET amps enjoy a sonic advantage with high efficiency speakers but they're safer as there's no bias that requires adjustment. No maintenance to perform other than changing a tube if one goes bad which rarely happens.

I'm going a more modern route now as well. Dumped my weakest link, an SAE PA-10 Preamp for an Emotiva USP-1, then went from a Yamaha M-40 to a TPA3116 chip amp, now I just built an SET tube amp and just sold my Klipsch La Scala's (unfortunately the day before I finished the amp) and ordered a pair of Tekton Lore's which will hopefully be here in a few days.. using a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51-LR's for now.

Last edited:
I'm going a more modern route now as well. Dumped my weakest link, an SAE PA-10 Preamp for an Emotiva USP-1, then went from a Yamaha M-40 to a TPA3116 chip amp, now I just built an SET tube amp and just sold my Klipsch La Scala's (unfortunately the day before I finished the amp) and ordered a pair of Tekton Lore's which will hopefully be here in a few days.. using a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51-LR's for now.

You're in for a treat with the Lores. They need some break in, so don't judge them too quickly. The biggest thing you'll notice is the midrange purity and speed. Listen to something with fast electric bass guitar or a drum solo and prepare to be amazed. Report back!

- Woody

If I were to go new, I would go all the way. I would save until I could afford a modwright linestage and amp.

Back
Top Bottom