Good sounding buds for iPhone?

Southpaw69

Hi everyone,

What are some good earbuds for use with an iPhone? I'd like something with good music sound, and a mic for phone conversations.

I'll be running it direct from my current iPhone (4S) but will be upgrading to the 6 plus soon.

I may want to get a headphone amp in the future to use the iphone just as a storage device, and have the amp do the sound processing, so something that would go well with that would be great.

As far as budget, I'm hoping in/around $250.

Thanks! :music:

Klipsch Image S4i sound great and have a mic/volume control. Works well with my Wife's iphone 4s.

They sound great too. I was actually quite pleased with them.

Then again with a budget of $250 you can do much better. lol

Before you do anything load the Audyssey App. They have sound shaping that tweaks the output of your iPhone to get best sound from individual models of headphones, and earphones. It is not an graphic equalizer, but you can shade the sound tipping it either to the treble or bass side. I have run it on iPod Touches and iPads for years it is really good. when you set it up you go into it's device library and pick out and list what you are using earphones, headphones and the lists is extensive and getting larger all of the time as new stuff is being added.
The App:
http://www.amp.audyssey.com/
Here is what Audyssey does:
http://www.audyssey.com/

mzl.zrmkqgbo.175x175-75.png

As for earphones with a mic there is nothing better the the Etymotic HF-3, $140.98 from Amazon, They have a very accurate sound are great especially when you are using the Audyssey App. It is my go to choice for my current Touch 5 and iPad Air. It also happens to be the best for passive noise reduction. And gets even better if you get them custom fitted by and audiologist. http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf3.html

Last edited:
I've got a pair of the Bose SIE2i, they fit in your ear, but are different than most. They are designed so you can hear things around you, they do not block out sound. Good when jogging, etc, and you need to hear a car coming up behind you.

Built with a mic and volume as well as skip controls, I find the sound to be quite good for the money. One thing, there are different models for non iphone vs iphone, make sure you get the right one.

Klipsch Image S4i sound great and have a mic/volume control. Works well with my Wife's iphone 4s.

These turn up as refurbs, sub-$30. Biggest in-ear bargain going.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RHA MA750i with some Comply T-200 tips. It'll set you back about $160 for both, and the tips are absolutely necessary. The MA750i's come with 10 sets of tips, yet none of them were comfortable to me. The build quality is top notch, packaging is the best I've seen in consumer packaging yet, it comes with in-line controls/mic, and they have a killer warranty.

As far as sound goes, I think they sound amazing. A nice flat sound, with slightly more pronounced highs and lows. Foam tips really allow the lows to extend, and it even feels a tad like sub-bass.

I had a pair of Shure SL-215's prior (which broke on me after two months), and I enjoyed the sound quite a bit... but I love the sound of these much more.

Can anyone give me a comparison between the Etymotic HF3 and the RHA MA750i they look very interesting, a 3 year warranty, 1 year longer then the Etymotic's.

Also, something with robust build quality is important- they will be carried around with me, so strong cables and connectors are important.

Thanks for the ideas- I will be researching further.

Also, something with robust build quality is important- they will be carried around with me, so strong cables and connectors are important.

Thanks for the ideas- I will be researching further.

Another note - the MA750i's have steel housings, the cables are thick, it has a spring at the connector so you won't overbend the wire, and that three year warranty will get you a replacement pair nearly no questions asked :thmbsp:

Happy researching!

I use earbuds quite a bit at work, which subjects them to abuse.

I've had many brands fail in short order. JVC, Bose and some no-names. All failed in less than a year.

However, I've now had a fully functioning set of Klipsch SA4 - still working perfectly! I am amazed. I cannot believe these things are still working.

And of course, the sound is very good if not great.

My recommendation is certainly the Klipsch Sx4, no others content in my world.

I had some Klipsch earphones while I was still searching for "that" brand earphone. I loved the sound but the wiring became stiff tangled, you could not straighten it out. Is this a problem with the present Klipsch earphones.

By the way have you seen the earphones Polk Audio is making. I don't know anything about them but being a fan of Polk speaker I am interested.

The Etymotic's have Kevlar straightened cables. The trouble I have had with mine is the mic' three button control on the right hand cable, I have had two of them fail, both where quickly replaced under warranty.

I have a Sony SBH52 Bluetooth headset. It is wonderful, the earbuds it comes with are nothing special about what you would expect from a $15 dollars set of Sony earbuds but they unplug. I plugged in the Ety's HF-3's, wow with my ears I could not tell the difference between the Ety's plugged directly in and running through the Sony. The range is very good on the SBH52. It is optimized for Android using an Android only app. But it pairs with my iPad without problems it is just missing some stuff such as text to voice available with the app. The the iPhone does that anyway. It also has a very useable FM broadcast receiver. The SBH52 with the earbuds removed becomes a very nice handset. The battery life is excellent at least 10 hours and it recharges in 30 minutes or so. This keep my Ety's out of harms way as I can keep it's wiring tucked away in my shirt pocket.

71QTzaJmfsL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I use earbuds quite a bit at work, which subjects them to abuse.

I've had many brands fail in short order. JVC, Bose and some no-names. All failed in less than a year.

However, I've now had a fully functioning set of Klipsch SA4 - still working perfectly! I am amazed. I cannot believe these things are still working.

And of course, the sound is very good if not great.

My recommendation is certainly the Klipsch Sx4, no others content in my world.

It sounds like you'd make a great beta tester of ear buds! How many hours a day do you wear them at work, and are they subject to a lot of sweating?

I have the older Klipsch S4 without the mic I use for my Ipod that still sound like new. Be Careful they are knock offs out there for several different brands of ear buds and head phones now.

Back
Top Bottom