Recommendations Needed

4Play

Ok guys, I need your help in Spiritology.

I am of the Baby Boomer Club, and I've done my share of drinking during my younger days. The most I drink these days may be a margarita or a nice cold bottle of Corona.

I've done some reading online to get familiar with some of the basics, and I do have a little knowledge but not enough to begin enjoying some of the finer spirits.

I'm still confused with the difference between whiskey and bourbon. I do know that bourbon is whiskey, but when does it become bourbon. I know from past experience that Southern Comfort is used as a mixer and not meant to be drunk straight.

My goal is to have a few different spirits on hand whenever I would like to have a drink while relaxing and listening to some good music. I do not like anything that is harsh, such as Old Crow, Early Times, or Wild Turkey. These were some of my Father's favorites. I prefer something smooth and mellow, maybe a little sweet, and that I discern different flavors that the Makers use. This is where whiskey and bourbon come into the picture.

If there is some other spirit that would be mellow and smooth, please let me know, and I would appreciate it if you enlighten me. Some nights I have a hard time getting to sleep. Maybe you can offer recommendations to what has helped you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread and as always, I appreciate your help and guidance on this subject. :music:

As for "smooth and mellow", my preference is for single malt scotch over bourbon although I do like good bourbons like Booker's.

As a late night "sedative", personally I like single malts or cognac.

Hendricks gin, on the rocks, with lime juice, and a slice of cucumber. Don't compromise on the gin...Hendricks or bust

As for "smooth and mellow", my preference is for single malt scotch over bourbon although I do like good bourbons like Booker's.

As a late night "sedative", personally I like single malts or cognac.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

To the OP: part of the fun is trying them all and seeing what you like. Luckily there are places you can go and sample them by the glass:D:beer:

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

My favorites are Macallen 12yr, Templeton rye and Koval four grain (local Chicago brew, don't know if they distribute where you are).

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

To the OP: part of the fun is trying them all and seeing what you like. Luckily there are places you can go and sample them by the glass :D:beer:

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

It would be nice but in my area, this is not possible.

I'm not a whiskey drinker but my wife is lol. The purists will cringe at this but as a non whiskey drinker I like Bird Dog blackberry whiskey. It's inexpensive and tastes good to me so that works for me. Goes great with my vanilla cigar lol. Obviously I'm not a cigar smoker either.

4Play you could swing over to Kentucky and do the whiskey/bourbon trail. It's like doing a winery tour but you hit all the distilleries. You would get a great education and have a chance to sample plenty.

A nice drinkable and affordable Scotch - especially to try out - Spreyburn - 12year single malt - about 18 to 25.00 a bottle. Very smooth.

Also Bulleit bourbon or rye is also very drinkable and at a good price to try out.

After 3 or 4 shots, it all taste good. Now the next day is a different story.

Alcohol does affect your hearing though. The more you drink the more you need to turn up the stereo. Plus within an hour you usually have a living room of air musicians. Some people can't even play air instruments right. The horror. I hate to have to tell those people to sit down cause they are blocking a speaker. Air guitarist are the worst.

Last edited:
I love Single Malts over ice. Glennlivet is my go to. It's all just so smooth and goes down so easy.

For me, it's not about getting into a drunken stupor. I lived with an alcoholic, though he never would admit it, and I have done my share of drinking in my youth. I am fortunate to say that alcohol was NEVER in control of me.

People enjoy different things when they want to relax and chill. Once in awhile my wife and I enjoy a nice glass of wine. One of the winerys in our state, West- Whitehill, makes a spice wine that can be enjoyed cold, or you can heat some water in a pot and place the bottle in the water. On a cold winter evening, you can enjoy a nice glass of warm spice wine. We have enjoyed a bottle for the past nine years, and I am sure that we will enjoy another bottle this winter.

For me, it's all about the enjoyment of different flavors, spices, and the aroma each distillery uses to make their brand. To the member who recommended Forty Creek, thank you for enlighten me on a distillery I never heard of before. I am looking forward to trying this brand. Please feel free to list some of your favorites you have enjoyed and would like to share. Your help is what I need so my wife and I can share the experience together.

Is there a certain brand of Cognac you could recommend. This is one my wife has wanted to try. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommendations, and I look forward to more recommendations from you.

Back
Top Bottom