Connect separate transformer secondaries in series?

c.coyle

Fighting the Dunning-Kruger effect.
See attached drawing. Can I connect two 24v (no center tap) transformers to get 24-0-24? In other words, 48v CT? I think I have to connect the end of one secondary to the start of the other to keep them in phase.

Attachments

• Untitled drawing.jpg
    Untitled drawing.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 28
If you are going to connect this to a full wave center tap rectifier (2 diodes total), each transformer will have pulsating DC rather than AC in the secondary and if the current is high enough, there could be core saturation. But, if you are going to use the full wave bridge with center tap to get balanced + and - rails, then there will be no problem.

To get around the core saturation issue, each transformer can be connected to its own full wave bridge, then the 2 DC supplies connected in series.

If you are going to connect this to a full wave center tap rectifier (2 diodes total), each transformer will have pulsating DC rather than AC in the secondary and if the current is high enough, there could be core saturation. But, if you are going to use the full wave bridge with center tap to get balanced + and - rails, then there will be no problem.

To get around the core saturation issue, each transformer can be connected to its own full wave bridge, then the 2 DC supplies connected in series.

Thanks. I'm throwing together a 30-0-30 regulated supply. I don't want to spend $30 plus for a 48V CT when I have identical 24V transformers laying around. Attached is what I have in mind going in to the filters and regulators.

Attachments

• Untitled drawing.jpg
    Untitled drawing.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom