Monday Tunes

Leroy Vinnegar ~ Leroy Walks

MI0001396146.jpg

4195XA2WSAL_zpse7d50fbb.jpg

Cinema: A Romantic Vision -- CD

Dori Caymmi

1999 Zebra Records

Dori Caymmi is a veteran guitarist, singer, composer and arranger who has successfully married the popular musical forms of his native Brazil with American jazz. On Cinema: A Romantic Vision, Caymmi offers gentle interpretations of familiar tunes associated with the movies.

With 10 recognizable melodies done up in Caymmi's soulful Brazilian style, Cinema is a soothing listen. The artist's distinctive chordal approach on acoustic guitar is prominently featured, and his arrangements are lush and impressionistic. Select songs also feature strings, horns, backing vocals, and Caymmi's wordless singing. Musicians include Don Grusin and Billy Childs on keyboards, Tom Scott and Gary Meek on saxophones, Abraham Laboriel on bass, Michael Schapiro on drums, and Paulhino Da Costa on percussion.

A popular performer and film composer in his native Brazil, Caymmi carries on in the venerable tradition of his father and another major influence, Antonio Carlos Jobim. Covers of songs such as "Pink Panther," "My Favorite Things," and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" are easy-going but elegant.

Flavored with lilting samba and bossa beats, subtle dashes of pop-jazz, and intricate instrumentation, Cinema rouses that sublime wistfulness the Brazilians call saudade.

Record Label: Zebra Records

1. The Pink Panther: Pink Panther
2. The Sound Of Music: My Favorite Things
3. James Bond: James Bond (Main Theme)
4. Cinema Paradiso: Cinema Paradiso
5. West Side Story: Something's Coming
6. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly
7. Black Orpheus: Manha De Carnaval
8. Tootsie: It Might Be You
9. The Sandpiper: The Shadow Of Your Smile
10. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
11. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly (w/Vocal)

Personnel includes: Dori Caymmi (vocals, acoustic guitar); Carmen Bradford, Arnold McCuller (vocals); Gary Meek (soprano & alto saxophones, clarinet, bass clarinet); Scott Mayo (soprano saxophone, background vocals); Billy Childs (piano); Don Grusin (keyboards); Tim Weston (electric guitar); Abraham Laboriel (bass); Michael Shapiro (drums); Paulinho Da Costa (percussion); Tom Scott.Recorded at Entourage Studio, North Hollywood, California; Ocean Way Studios, Hollywood, California."Pink Panther" was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement

I have...

...a beautiful copy of this LP Dennie.

a605419328a0c47136c4e110.L.jpg

Tracy Chapman -- CD

Tracy Chapman

1988 Elektra/Asylum Records

Absolute perfection, May 27, 2002
By Ms Diva "cycworker" (Nanaimo, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracy Chapman (Audio CD)

I genuinely don't think this disk could be any better. There is not a single song on here that isn't a work of art. I owned this on tape initially, but I had to get the CD because the tape was getting worn out, because I listened to it constantly - particulary to Baby Can I Hold You, Why, and Talking About A Revolution.

Chapman's voice is stunning, particularly on the a capella Behind The Wall, which never ceases to bring a chill down my spine. I always thought I didn't like folk music, but Chapman has made me reconsider that belief. Her lyrics are meaningful, and the collection of songs come together to form an overall feel, a mood, that is extremely moving and empowering. She exemplifies how music can bring people together and be an impetus to change, ala the greats like Bob Dylan. Make no mistake -- this is a political album and Chapman wears her left wing leanings like a badge of honour. If you can't tolerate her political views, you probably won't like the album as much as her core fans. That said, her voice and the music itself may make it possible for you to give it at least an intial listen. Chapman is more than a singer and musician - she's a poet, and her message is one that I believe we all need to heed.

I highly reccommend this album to everyone. Even if you don't agree with her politics, hopefully she'll make you think. At the very least, you'll be listening to one of the purest, best voices in modern folk/r&b/soul around today.

All songs were written by Tracy Chapman.

"Talkin' Bout a Revolution" – 2:39
"Fast Car" – 4:56
"Across the Lines" – 3:24
"Behind the Wall" – 1:49
"Baby Can I Hold You" – 3:14
"Mountains o' Things" – 4:39
"She's Got Her Ticket" – 3:56
"Why?" – 2:06
"For My Lover" – 3:12
"If Not Now..." – 3:01
"For You" – 3:09

Phoebe-Snow-Phoebe-Snow-458630.jpg

Phoebe Snow -- CD

Phoebe Snow

1995 The Right Stuff

Phoebe Snow is the eponymous debut album by singer/songwriter Phoebe Snow, released in 1974 (see 1974 in music). It contains her Top 5 Billboard pop hit, "Poetry Man".

All songs by Phoebe Snow, except where noted

"Good Times" (Sam Cooke) – 2:20
"Harpo's Blues" – 4:22
"Poetry Man" – 4:36
"Either or Both" – 3:52
"San Francisco Bay Blues" (Jesse Fuller) – 3:29
"I Don't Want the Night to End" – 3:55
"Take Your Children Home" – 4:15
"It Must Be Sunday" – 5:50
"No Show Tonight" – 2:57

Back
Top Bottom