What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

Patti Smith - JUST KIDS; she's gonna 'read me to sleep' for a few nights :boring::boring::boring:

Audiobook CD, HarperAudio
English

ISBN: 0062193929
ISBN-13: 9780062193926

Attachments

• just kids.jpg
    just kids.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 17
Very good music and SQ also.

3c8e13205f97a51b42aeabaa66fedee4.jpg

b64a2a7e7e49995c8adf79e2f11974bf.jpg

And explanation for the 1960's audiophile!!

0c7293f63130f689956f926d908dbc52.jpg

Last edited:
Very good music and SQ also.

3c8e13205f97a51b42aeabaa66fedee4.jpg

b64a2a7e7e49995c8adf79e2f11974bf.jpg

And explanation for the 1960's audiophile!!

0c7293f63130f689956f926d908dbc52.jpg

Hi,

just an observation but....... Not a good idea to mix sizes of reels. Metal with plastic is bad enough. The rotational inertia of the different reels will be widely different. Playing fine. Stopping from a fast wind, precarious to say the least...... Once the braking system limits have been breached your precious tape will be destroyed!!!!

If you were driving your car with the engine revving fast in third gear, would you change down to second???!!!

Said it before elsewhere in the tape forums. I have been bitten once. You will do it only once! Fortunately the tape which was crinkled and folded for about 1.5 yards was not of great importance.

Sorry, can keep quiet. Trying to save others from unnecessary pain.

GPS16

Hi,

just an observation but....... Not a good idea to mix sizes of reels. Metal with plastic is bad enough. The rotational inertia of the different reels will be widely different. Playing fine. Stopping from a fast wind, precarious to say the least...... Once the braking system limits have been breached your precious tape will be destroyed!!!!

If you were driving your car with the engine revving fast in third gear, would you change down to second???!!!

Said it before elsewhere in the tape forums. I have been bitten once. You will do it only once! Fortunately the tape which was crinkled and folded for about 1.5 yards was not of great importance.

Sorry, can keep quiet. Trying to save others from unnecessary pain.

GPS16
I used this because the inner size of both reels is the same then. So it is advisable to also use an plastic reel? Thanks for your advice.

It happened once but i thought it happened because the tape is fragile.

I used this because the inner size of both reels is the same then. So it is advisable to also use an plastic reel? Thanks for your advice.

It happened once but i thought it happened because the tape is fragile.

Forget the hubsize. The diameter of the reels is the important parameter. Whether plastic or metal is still important but less so. Always try and get a full set of empty reels for the use of. When they are close at hand, they get used.

From the photo, if that tape reached the end and you started to rewind it. If you stopped it after the machine had gained some speed, the RHS reel would be more heavily braked than the LHS reel by design. The RHS reel is metal and with virtually the full complement of tape still on it allbeit from a 7" spool.
The LHS reel is plastic and pretty much empty. If the lesser LHS reel brake torque does a better job of stopping the empty/smaller/plastic reel than the greater braked RHS reel which has a not empty/larger/metal reel then the tape will spill off all the guides and whats more be still on the move from one reel to the other at meters/second. Ouch!!!! It all happens so quick and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. If you intervene it just makes the destruction much worse.

With no reels loaded and the machine stopped. Turn each reel hub in both directions. Which ever one is supplying the tape will be the greater braked and it is markedly feel-able. Check the manual and there is always a clockwise and anticlockwise braking torque to check and adjust. I have a Revox A700 which regulates the tension of the tape during the braking phase and I still don't mix reels. There is an almighty crunch and that is it....... tape destroyed.

Again, sorry to keep bleating on about this issue but I am reading entries in threads from people who are listening to treasured recordings which are being put in jeopardy for NO REAL REASON.

GPS16

Listening to an old prerecorded tape of my father's, Ingenuity in Sound by Buddy Cole at the dual Hammond organ. Amazing how good tapes still sound - this one must be fifty years old. My Dad and I had different tastes, but I like to listen to his old tapes....

IMG_0738net_zpsaed64cad.jpg

A few 2 track, 7.5 ips recordings of some Ella and Louis needle drops.

Maxell XL1 > Sony TC-880-2 > Decware CSP3 > Yamaha B-2 > Soliloquy 6.5

Ravel Bolero
Borodin Polovian Dancers
London Festival Orch.
London Phase 4 Stereo "Pop Concert Series"
4 Track 7 1/2 ips Stereo
LCL 75003

Next reel Provocative Percussion Vol 4. Good music. Unfortunately side 2 is not good 1 channel is partly erased i think.

ef4402e724a09e52c7f0cb43dfdd9c6c.jpg

Toch--Piano Works
C Seibert

PROGRAM

10 Concert Etudes (1931)
5 Capriccetti Op. 36
14 Kleinstadtbilder Op. 49
Sonata Op. 47
3 Burlesques, Op. 31

Ray

In the home office watching the NFL (sound off) Red Zone and Listening to Don Patterson "The Return of Don Patterson" (Hammond B3 Organ) with DNL switched on -- on the Philips N4504 (the only reel to reel I'm allowed to have in the home office I share with the wife...lol).

Don Patterson's version of the "Theme from the Odd Couple" is on now. Don's "dunka dunk thump of the bass pedal bass comes out really good on the philips machine!

Back
Top Bottom