Yamaha BX-1 Class A Amps?

Yamaha B-2

Anyone heard of these and know anything about them? Vintage? Power? Picture? Etc.? Have a line on a pair but know nothing of them.
Thanks.

Hiya, B-2!
According to Orion, it was sold from 1981-85, and it is a 100 watt mono amp. MSRP, $2,000. The "retail used" price given in my 1997 ed. is an incredible $96 (ninety-six). Something is wrong there.
A $2000, 100-watt mono amp has got to be phenomenol.

Thanks, bully. The Summer 2006 Orion has it at $306, so either someone has recognised it as something worth owning or inflation. I'll try to get some pic's and post them.

Thanks for the links. :thmbsp:

The seller in Germany wants about as much as if they were new ($4000USD). That is a bit rich for my blood at the moment.

Wonder why the disassembled pic's on the second link? The gold-plated RCAs and soldered wire-wrap I understand. But to remove all the power outputs, etc., I don't. Perhaps those were original Yamaha service pic's.

The pic's are from a Japanese audio repair shop, a one man shop who loves old Hi-Fi. Kind of merrylander in Japanese :)

I also think the price is too high; he had them on the bay 3 times and did not sell. But if you get a chance to grab a set of these at a descent price (or an indecent filthy low price) grab them! It is some of the most exclusive Yamaha ever did.

PS. I have an early this year used price of $285.00 Orion.

Here is a link to K. Nisi's page about the BX-1 (you have to translate with Babelfish): http://page.freett.com/knisi/bx-1.html

I love that amp8 site.

I was going to post about that second link before Mr mandak(G'day trm)did.
That site is a great inspiration because he posts before and after pictures of everything he refurbishes.Take another look. :drool:

Well, the BX-1 amps are paid for and I'll ship the boxes to the seller tomorrow. He has the original boxes, etc., so they will fit into this pair of 30x17x17 double-walls. Now I'm broke. Have had to take a tutoring job for the rest of the semester to cover my depleted bank-account. Got a fair deal, but puts a couple of other items on the back-burner (refurb of the CT-7000 and T-2 tuners, etc.). Anyway, here is a copy of the spec's, tech and block diagram of the amp. At 40+ pounds per 100w monobloc, they are right in the ballpark of other Class A amps, such as the Threshold T200 (100wpc stereo Class A amp). Should be here in another ten days, or so.

Anyone know how to crop this photo in PhotoShop? I'm far from an expert and would like to crop this down so it can be blown up to legible size on this post.

YamahaBX-1Specsnew.jpg

B-2 did you buy those in Germany?

e-mail me the org. picture.

G'day to you to Mr. theophile. I agree with you, that page is great. It is like a Japanese merrylander with a photo fetish. To do better, it must be 3D video of the repair and then remote repair

Anders - do you want the original service manual, which is .pdf or the JPeg file I downloaded that page to? That weird line in the top right corner is me trying to clip the photo. and, no, mine did not come out of Germany. From the U.S. I'll post the full story once they arrive.

I want bought.. the BX-1s :)

I mean PDF and jpeg and I look forward to the story.

---EDIT---

Now with specs.

Attachments

• BX-1 spec p1.jpg
    BX-1 spec p1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 69
  • BX-1 spec p2.jpg
    BX-1 spec p2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 64
B-2,
Did you try using the snap shot tool in Acrobat Reader. You click the little camera icon and then select the portion of interest. It copies the selected area to the clipboard and you can paste it into Paint or other program and save it as a jpeg.

I just Zoomed to 100% and used the graphics select tool, copy/paste into Photoshop. Did a little enhancing and saved to jpeg.
Acrobat reader v.5.0

BX-1 amps arrived today (actually, one on Saturday and one today - ask Fedex?). Anyway, seem none the worse for wear. Once the owner's manual arrives and the new speaker cables (both due this week) I'll get them hooked up to the test speakers and give them a run. If all checks out, they will be driving a set of NS-1000M on which the B-2 driven set of NS-500 sits in the standard D'Appolito arrangement. Here is a pic of the BX-1 amps sitting below the B-2. Both rated at 100wpc, but the BX-1 weigh-in at 82 pounds vs the 57 of the B-2. Should be a fun weekend for listening as I complete painting my listening room.
BX-1vs.jpg

Zow -- those look like beauties! I'll bet you are in for a real treat once you get it all up and running. A good score, even if you are broke now. :) Keepers are worth it.

Waiting for a full test appraisal. They look great. Gotta believe Yamaha built them without much of a limit by price.

Am definitely broke for the rest of this year, even though I got a great deal on these. Paid $500 for the pair. The only set I've seen on eBay was in Germany and was listed at $2500. Don't know if they sold for that, though. When I say these were a great deal, I am assuming they are working well, which the seller, a stereo shop in Lansing, MI, promises me they are. This particular shop is apparently well known to several AKers. These amps were originally sold by the shop and they came back in, along with a C-2 preamp, which I also picked-up. My cables are due today, so will have it running this evening. Once I listen a bit I'll pull the top on each to eye-ball everything before actually hooking up to my main speakers. Should have the C-2x back from EW shortly, as well. More later. Along with a few more pic's taken with a steadier hand (tripod).

Back
Top Bottom