Signal Meter Pioneer SX-750

shimelho

Does anyone have information or schematics related to the parts in an SX 750 required to make the signal meter operate properly? Not the meter itself, but what components receive/send the signal to the meter? Are the tuning fins somehow involved in this?

Thank you,

After cleaning the tuning fins, the meter signal strength is reading at 0-2 whereas before it was reading 3-5 on the same stations. I am trying to determine if there are components near the tuning fins that may have been negatively impacted by my cleaning. The stations seem to be pulling in with the same clarity as before the cleaning so I don't think the current meter readings are an accurate reflection of signal strength. Thanks!

It is more likely that the alignment of the tuner front end has been affected by the cleaning process than any electronic components being altered.

If a non-residual cleaner was used, it must still be fully dried before normal operation can be expected. If any cleaner, residue, or contaminants ended up in or on the trimmer capacitors on top of the tuner VC assembly, that can affect alignment.

If any type of cleaner which deposits residue (such as lubricant or protectant) was used, a non-residual cleaner should be used to remove all of that. Of course, the second cleaning must be allowed to dry fully. That can take up to a day in the right conditions.

If the tuner VC and surrounding circuitry is properly cleaned and dried, and if the problem still exists, post your results and detail so further instruction can be given.

Depending on what you used to clean the fins, it could take a few weeks for it to dissipate and go back to normal.

Ambient air drying could indeed require several days if heat is low, humidity is high, and circulation is inadequate. Those might be the not "right conditions" like the wonderful 180% humidity and "balmy" 60° temperatures that satellite and I enjoy.

A naked chassis in a preheated oven dries fairly quickly. I've found that my convection oven is even better if I set the temp at 120° and let the interior fan circulate. One can go from the mop sink to the oven to the workbench in a matter of hours.

If the tuning meter doesn't show the same strength on stations after cleaning the tuner as before than the problem would not be with components for the tuning meter. Either you did something during cleaning that affected the performance of the tuner or the tuner needs to be aligned.

Explain what process and chemicals you used to clean the tuner.

Back
Top Bottom