Pioneer sa-8800 issue with fuses

pinky6

Hello I have a very nice sa-8800 that has an issue. The board ASSEMBLY AWR182 that contains the 4 big caps has two .8 amp fuses next to each other.
They popped on me so wandering if any one knows what could be causing them to pop. Seemed like this was a very loud pop when I heard it. I wasn't even aware it came from the amp. A day after hearing the noise I found out my display didn't work when I powered it on. Opened to find these were blown. :tears: These fuses are 800ma or .8 amp glass ones. I havn't found replacements for them if someone knows where to buy them that would be great. I just don't want to put new ones in until I find out what caused them to blow.

Attachments

• fuses.jpg
    fuses.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 41
Those fuses look to be before the transformer for the fluroscan along with a lot of other voltage regulators for the amplifier. I've only had a quick look and I'm not familiar with this amp but initially, you could check for any burnt looking resistors or checking for shorts with your DMM if you are confident with one.

I would wait for one of the other guys to chime in who knows more about this amp. The service manual sure does make good reading material. :drool:

Thanks and yes Im not familiar with meters so I would hope someone does chime in that is familiar with these fuses and amps. Thanks for the reply.

I have never messed with this amp but after looking at the schematic it looks like something in the regulated supply. This is good as the issue maybe isolated there (In the PS).
Replace the fuses with tested good ones and power it up on the DBT. See if you can get any voltage readings for regulated supplies on the PS board.
If it were me, I would check all four diodes D9 through D12 but the PS has some of the CCS components installed and there's another chance this could be one of the issues.

I hope an experienced member chimes in and can help you get this amp back in shape.

Thanks guys for the replies but I don't think anyone with expertise is going to respond this time. I don't have time right now to tear the boards apart to check for any blown fuses as maybe a cap blew but I can't see any thing looking suspicious. Will update when I have time to deal with it. I tried tonight to replace the fuses with 250 volt 750 mA with no luck as they blew right away. :no:

will have a look when i get chance .. my favourite amp as it happens .. best i own as it happens .. you need to tread carefully with them as they are non switching ..NSA ..
is that pic of your one ?

Back
Top Bottom