Why don't people drool over the CT-95?

koltrast

This was a truly awesome machine and was THE LAST great cassette deck. (Yes I'm biased! I've had one from new 1995)

Here is the CT-95, from a 1993 German catalog:

Doc

attachment.php

Attachments

• ct-95.jpg
    ct-95.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 916
Really quite lovely. Note that the front panel has loads of buttons and knobs, but they did the faceplate design in such a way that it is utterly clean. Very sweet.

Is that the Champagne color? Did they make a silver version? Is it metal or plastic? I've never seen one before.

Champagne finish, metal front panel and a copper chassis, weighs 8.6kg or 18lbs.... Had to dig out the user manual, which applies for a model called CT920s too. Not sure if it's identical or not. Tape handling is a dream, winding is fast, safe and quiet and the sound is amazing, even on beat up old tapes. I've had some Pioneers in the past (CTF1000, 900, 1250, CT8R) but this one is head and shoulders above them although I loved them too.........

Yes, I love my vintage Pioneer tape decks ( CT-F9191, CT-F1000, CT-F1250, CT-A7...)

But these newer Pioneers are the best tape decks I have ever seen. I have the CT-S620 which is without DOLBY-S and without the side-panels the Exclusive-Series - like CT-95 and my D-07 have.

im002459aa1.jpg

Nice to look at but I guess I'm in the boat that doesn't care to listen to any tape format anymore. LP's and CD's only. I always hated that time spent recording from one to the other. Reminds me of the mp3 generation that I don't get into either. I just don't have the spare time to load 900+ CD's onto my PC so I can have portable music. Ok, I'm off track again...gotta be the coffee.

Good looking deck, though.

Those are some great machines, but I don't think Pioneer ever marketed those over here in the US(I could be wrong). I've seen some high end models on Pioneer's Japanese site and I'm guessing these were some really sweet models from the mid to late 90's. Probably some of the best modern decks you can buy, assuming you can find them. I've only seen a 3 or 4 similar models on ebay in the past year, and I think those were in Canada or Europe. Ashame thats stuff isn't more available, I think they look very classy.
-mike

Well, I guess my question has been answered. It was not pushed in the States. Another curious thing, this is the only piece of Japanese kit I have ever seen with a date of manufacture tag on the back (Feb 95).

Most Pioneer components have the date of manufacture as part of the serial number.

Some, typically from ~1984 onward, have it as part of the serial number and spelled out.

Doc

Last edited:
Very nice looking deck. My favorite is the Pioneer Elite CT-93. I dont know the specs but it is a wonderful machine.

tapere1.jpg

picture is from the elitestereo website

Yes, I love my vintage Pioneer tape decks ( CT-F9191, CT-F1000, CT-F1250, CT-A7...)

But these newer Pioneers are the best tape decks I have ever seen. I have the CT-S620 which is without DOLBY-S and without the side-panels the Exclusive-Series - like CT-95 and my D-07 have.

im002459aa1.jpg

Those have a wonderful look to them. What countries did they get marketed in?

Hi,

I have had ct-95 for almost a decade by now. It is an exceptional deck, however, rubber parts are difficult to source (had to replace belts and pinch rollers early this year) and no replacement heads are available anywhere. I'd say if the heads were as hard as Akai's gx heads this deck would be a true gem as in some areas such as frequency respones and dynamics (with dolby S on of course) it beats anything ever produced.

cheers,
Janusz

Back
Top Bottom