Which Pioneer Receiver To Buy

HifiZ

Need some help from my fellow Audiofiles. I'm in the market to put together a 1970's era pioneer system. I want to start with a really good receiver. I like the QX-9900 as I posted yesterday but I have found through some research that they are very rare and definitely hard to find in mint condition.

That being said, I'm willing to budget around $1,000 for a receiver. Through my research I have determined that the Pioneer SX-780 through SX-1250 are the most common and easiest to work on. I realize a lot of it has to do with personal preference based on experience, but I would like to know from the guys that have had a few or all of these models which ones are the best built and which ones will be the easiest to work on if they were to need repair/restoration.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Max

i would stay away from a quad receiver as they are very old designs.
for your budget, i would suggest sx-950,1050,1250 based on build quality, serviceability.
i do think sx-x80 series do look nicer but pioneer did start to cut corners with those models and any that followed afterwards.
btw i own a 950 from new and have yet to recap it. but i did change the power amp outputs and divers with mot mj15003/4 and mje15029/30 15 years ago. so i can vouch for reliability and ease of repair. if a donor 1050/1250 comes along i will grab it, but would not pay 1K for a 1250, when i could do better things with that money.

Last edited:
I would say the SX-1050.. the SX 1250's, I have seen as of late seem to be more beat up and twice the price. there are always exceptions.

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
I think the older blue dial Pioneers sound better but they are older.My pick would be a 1050.I don't think the bigger are worth the prices they go for.

Last edited:
I am a 950 owner and I love it. Has plenty of power and everything I need. But I still like the sound of my Yamahas(1020&2020) more.

Not sure how much power you need, but the SX-850 and its 65watts weights 42 pounds, you will have to look really hard to find another receiver in that power range with the build and heft of the SX-850, its tuner produced the best imaging, soundstage and seperation of any tuner I have run across in a vintage receiver. The SX-450 I had was a bit warmer sounding and would have kept it if it had a little more grunt. I like the looks and sound of the SX-727 better although I only got to spend a few hours with it before transistors decided to crackle then go into a deep deep sleep, now it sits and waits for me to quit procrastinating. SX-x70 series have the STKs which I avoid for various reasons.

I have considered preamps and amps to go along with my stackable pioneer system and will be getting those eventually but would like to start with a nice receiver first. Trying to narrow it down.

For that kind of cash you can certainly aim above the 780. It's a great receiver - I have two of them - and prices have gone up but even on the bay it's going for about $200 for a nice working specimen.

Friend of mine has a 1050 and really likes it.

Have you considered an integrated amplifier and a tuner - receivers aren't the only game in town. :thmbsp:

Pioneer made some excellent examples of both.

^+1

I have many Pioneer receivers and amps. The QX-9900 is nice,but if you want ultimate Pioneer sound quality then there's only one way to go,and that's with the 1974 SA-9900 integrated... it's simply mind blowin' and no mistake!

Yup. The 9900 is awesome. Receiver wise the 1250 is a winner. Looks good and I think one of the top 3 Pioneer receivers sound/build wise from that era.

Yup. The 9900 is awesome. Receiver wise the 1250 is a winner. Looks good and I think one of the top 3 Pioneer receivers sound/build wise from that era.
:yes:

You can catch the audio buying bug and once you turn around...It's like Rabbits...I would just goto the Top and get the 1250.

SX-1050 would be my vote. For $1000 you could pick up a nice unit AND have it fully recapped and serviced by a professional with high quality parts.

everyone or at least the majority of the posts prefer the x50 series. i agree. i restored a sx850 i bought on ebay for 60$. it was really trashed some rust on the vent grille and the cover was physically broken. elbow grease tight bond 3 and patient sanding and a polyurethane finish sorted that i replaced every transistor in it and recapped it. it sounds better than my 1080!!! im retired and have lots of time this may not suit your schedule or skill set but i gladly do another in a heartbeat. something to consider if you know how or have a friend who does.

Agree with Starbender about the x2x and x3x series. The x50 and x80 are too "analytical & sterile" sounding for me for the most part(I do have a SX-790). Of the 2 series (x2x & x3x) the x3x series is the better of the two. But not by much. The biggest feature is the lack of "those damned speaker plugs" on x3x(replaced with the usual clamping speker jacks/clips), which are missing on the x2x in about 99.999999940% of the examples out there, but almost everyone sells for king's ransom.

Also with the x50 and newer units you get into unobtainable output transistors, j-fets, and overy complicated circuits that need to be re-engineer. If you aren't cognizant of these you may get caught with your shorts dangling. There are workarounds, but I tend to like my units as original as possible without physical changes or modifications.

Do your research. And get the one you are comfortable with, both layout and parts wise, and sound quality.

^^

Well said larryderouin,

I agree, if you have a grand to throw at a receiver, I would strongly consider the 939, or 1010. The 1250 is pretty easy to conduct a recap, not sure about the 1010, ill know in a few days when I start the process.

The 50/80 series are great units, I love my 1250, but I have to admit that the 1010 has a warmer sound.

I'd also stay away from the quad, they are not that great.. No disrespect to the quad lovers.. :) not all quads, just the 9900 that I had the opportunity to listen to.. I was not impressed.

For your budget, you will do good with the 1050/1250. The 80's series from what I have heard is a little less quality than the 50's series.. I don't know this to be true, as I have worked on a few of the 780's and a 980, a general cleaning...

Someone mentioned that the 50's series are all the same with the exception of the tuner... This is not the case at all, the higher in the series you go up, you get a lot more options, more filters ect, bigger, better power supply. Big differences in SQ between each other. My 1250 can put my 650 to shame.

Someone also mentioned separates, that is a good idea.

Take a look at the 9900,9800,9800, or my personal favorite the 9100!!! Man do I want a 9100, I may end up trading my 1010 for one... IDK ill have to make the deal once done with the recap..

Fun thread man, good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom