Homemade Enclosure - What it do?

drbiggles

I like to pull weeds.
RichardIII001.jpg

I slipped and fell this afternoon, wasn't watching what was going on around me. While I was dusting myself off, these crept into the back of my truck. I met a guy. I met a hoarder, an audio equipment hoarder guy. These were part of a trade along with a pair of Goodmans GS-6 bookshelf sized rigs. I'll be going back to pick up a pair of Electro-Voice Aristocrats and a 50's Sherwood 36 watt mono tube integrated rig after a few more paychecks roll in. Probably a few dozen other goodies too. The problem is he lives about a 4 minute drive from my home. This is going to be a real issue.

In any case, check out these homemade enclosures. They measure about 26" tall, maybe a foot deep. They look pretty big, but the internal volume is on the small side. There are 2 chambers. There's a port going from the top to the bottom chamber. And there are 2 ports on the front baffle that exhaust both the top and bottom chambers. The driver hole looks to be for an 8" full range or duplex.

What it do?

RichardIII002.jpg

RichardIII003.jpg

RichardIII004.jpg

RichardIII005.jpg

RichardIII006.jpg

Biggles

Hey Copa,

Or not, I don't know. They don't have a manufactured look to them, wiring is old lamp cord. The feet are interesting and I like them, but they're thick and a bit goofy on design. They're solid and VERY heavy. The backs are exposed particle board with thin, veneered plywood, but with an overhang. Check this out:

RichardIII007.jpg

Biggles

Maybe a pro-built cabinet with retrofitted DIY modifications? Lots of stuffing for a ported cab.

From memory Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook provides details on a cabinet design like this. The tuning is the same as a single chamber and port with the extra baffle and ports serving to reduce 5th harmonic distortion. Don't quote me as it's a long time since I read that but I did once build something similar.

I had an old pair of Aztecs (Denver manufacturer) that had this Dual-chamber-chamber thingy... They sounded good with a CTS driver, maybe an 8" if I remember right...

Maybe a pro-built cabinet with retrofitted DIY modifications? Lots of stuffing for a ported cab.

From memory Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook provides details on a cabinet design like this. The tuning is the same as a single chamber and port with the extra baffle and ports serving to reduce 5th harmonic distortion. Don't quote me as it's a long time since I read that but I did once build something similar.

It is a very well built cabinet, everything seems true enough. Definitely not a Homer Simpson special.

Hmmm, so I take it 5th harmonic distortion is bad, eh. I have no idea what that means specifically. But that's fine, I'll have a great time trying different drivers in there to see what it sounds like.

badass. measure up the ports and the chambers and figure out what goes in it
http://www.claudionegro.com/projects/speaker/dcr/dcr.html

Oh cool! Thank you, it's much appreciated. I don't have the money today, but don't plan on sending these enclosures off to another's pile. I'll be patient and take my time with finding drivers for them.

I had an old pair of Aztecs (Denver manufacturer) that had this Dual-chamber-chamber thingy... They sounded good with a CTS driver, maybe an 8" if I remember right...

Egads, I think I have a pair of 8" CTS woofers. No crossovers though. I was thinking maybe an Electro-Voice 8" Michigan full ranger might be an affordable start. I also have an 8" 1950's Wharfedale Super 8 full ranger, but only 1. Another project to find goodies for! I rule.

Biggles

Bigs,i been on a speaker blitz lately .My amp/preamp systems are complete for this life,so its been speakers the last while.
That said those cabinets have a robust build to them ,where they are lacking is in size if you want big,clean sound.
Look at my last tread on my University speaker and my Stephens trusonics from a week or 2 back,i scored some nice Baltic birch cabs for the Stephen that lacked internal volume so I used the full ranger in the cabs and added a jbl horn on top with a simple homemade x-over.
Worked so well I just did a second set with University 6303 full rangers.
Give it a try with those cabinets I think youd be surpriced...the secret is sourceing some good vintage FR drivers and a separate vintage horn mounted on to

hunter

Hi drbiggles,

what size driver is needed for them?

Looks to be an 8 or a 6... ?

Great looking cabinets, wonder if some JBL LE8's would fit..

Bigs,i been on a speaker blitz lately .My amp/preamp systems are complete for this life,so its been speakers the last while.
That said those cabinets have a robust build to them ,where they are lacking is in size if you want big,clean sound.
Look at my last tread on my University speaker and my Stephens trusonics from a week or 2 back,i scored some nice Baltic birch cabs for the Stephen that lacked internal volume so I used the full ranger in the cabs and added a jbl horn on top with a simple homemade x-over.
Worked so well I just did a second set with University 6303 full rangers.
Give it a try with those cabinets I think youd be surpriced...the secret is sourceing some good vintage FR drivers and a separate vintage horn mounted on to

hunter

Hi Hunter,

I believe I did catch that one and I have to agree with you. I would like to be able to use these enclosures with a medium wattage tube amp. A pair of older high efficiency drivers would be perfect. My issue is keeping things affordable, as close to free as I can get it. I'll bet I can do it, just need to be patient.

ps...did you get your radio craftsmen mono up and running?
hunter

Am glad you asked, and should update my thread. I took that and the 1954 Fisher tuner/preamp off to my tube guy maybe 2 months ago. I wanted it done correctly and it'd already had someone else's fingers in it. I can test and replace things. But I don't know how to test as I go, what to test as I go, and what I'm looking for in my tests as I go. The guy is exceptionally good at what he does, it just takes a damned long time to do it. At least he's affordable. From what he could see, he figured at the most maybe 120 dollars to rebuild the 500.

Hi drbiggles,

what size driver is needed for them?

Looks to be an 8 or a 6... ?

Great looking cabinets, wonder if some JBL LE8's would fit..

I went out and measured it last night, it wants to have an 8" driver. And given the internal volume, these boxes want an 8". A 12" is just going to be too huge. As I've said, I would like to use much older drivers. However, at the end of the day, I'm not all that concerned about it. What matters is finding a good quality pair of drivers to put in there.

Also, just because I put a pair of something in there, doesn't mean I can't swap it out for something else 6 months or 6 years down the road. Nothing is permanent.

Biggles

Well I know you shop the deals,maybe run an add looking for a pair of vintage Full Rangers.I scored my University 6303's {15 inch FR ers} for 100.00 bucks.
You would have to scrap the front baffle in those unique speaker cabs and replace with a new baffle with a 15 inch or 12 inch hole up high and provide a slot near the bottom for bass reflex.
I added a pair of JBL 2421 horns{with a simple x-over} on top of the cabs with the 6303 universitys and i'll tell you the speakers will outperform most big $$ speakers ive encountered over the yrs.
You got a cool looking pair of speakers there to experiment with

hunter

Hunter,

And experiment I will. I would like to try my hands at doing something with some 8" FR's. My thought is that if I can use full rangers, they will obviously be running wide open. Then, with the horn tweeter I can use an oil filled capacitor of some value. Keep it simple, then make it more complicated if necessary.

I know the guy who gave me the enclosures has some decent 8" drivers for it, may even be what came with them. But he wanted money for them, so I passed. Maybe I should call him back and inquire about them and see what the scoop is. I dunno, we'll see. Am edgy about spending money.

Biggles

Hay,

I just got off the phone with the guy. We're going to barter and I'll get the pair of 8" Stephens Trusonic Full Range drivers that came in that enclosure. He says they're in great condition, we'll see.

Cross yer fangers.

Biggles

That's cool Big's, no cash out of pocket. I thought for a minute there that might put some Super 8's in them. Best of luck.

that's the speaker I was going to recommend Biggs.The Stephens are a sweet full ranger with that certain tone most of us old timers remember from the hey days,clean and articulate sound.Ive got a pair of Stephens 120 co-axials{12 inch that are superb.
good luck on the purchase you will like!!
hunter

Last edited:
that's the speaker I was going to recommend Biggs.The Stephens are a sweet full ranger with that certain tone most of us old timers remember from the hey days,clean and articulate sound.Ive got a pair of Stephens 120 co-axials{12 inch that are superb.
good luck on the purchase you will like!!
hunter

Bingo! That's what I'm looking for. Something my little Scott and some vinyl will bring to life. I'm getting all tingly just thinking about them.

And the best part? They came out of those boxes, all I need are the bolts to mount the suckers. I'll run some fresh wires and ultimately new binding posts and a hefty refinish with Danish Oil. I do have most of the original homemade grills, but they were hideous when they were new. I'll take some pictures of the grills, they goofy.

Biggles

Hey Mang!

You're rolling in speakers man! You're going to need a wearhouse soon!

Those are very cool and are in great shape. Great you're getting the correct drivers as well. Won't take much to get them all shiny and sparkly!

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom