Klipsch KG4

highend64

Hi someone near me that is selling a pair of Klipsch KG4 anlong with the KG2 for cheap. What are your thoughts on these models? Thanks

I had a pair of Kg4's awhile back. They did sound nice, but I guess I am not a horn man so out they went. Audition to see if you like them.

I had a pair of Kg4's awhile back. They did sound nice, but I guess I am not a horn man so out they went. Audition to see if you like them.

Thanks for the response. I have a SCS amp to drive them. I haven't try horn speakers either.

I like the KG4's, but like an expensive sports car they do need proper care. They will reveal any shortcomings in the audio chain, so a clean running amp is very important. Don't cram them and give them room to breath. Enjoy!

+1

Bought mine new in early 90s.
Tried to convince myself that I liked them but couldn't.

If you were to search this forum for Klipsch Kg4, you would find numerous threads on this topic. There are at least as many posters who love them.

I would recommend some new capacitors, and I can't recommend highly enough the Bob Crites titanium diaphragms for the horns. They took the midrange harshness out of my 4.2's and extended the tinkly highs very nicely.

Listening to mine as I write this and they are GREAT! They improve with the Crites or other crossover and tweeter mods. Have a listen if you can. They are not for everybody.

I have both the Kg4 and Kg2. I enjoy both very much, the 4s moreso than the 2s. The Kg4s retailed for around $600/pr. They were manufactured until 1992, but still sell for between $259-$400 used. Not too bad for a speaker that is up to 30 yrs old. I will never sell my Kg4s.

The synergy between your amp and speakers can make it or break it for you. I have had Klipsch Fortes and currently own Quartets. More than any speakers that I have ever owned, they've tell me VERY quickly if an amp is a good match or not. If an amp is grainy or harsh on top, you will know it. The same goes for a boomy or lacking bottom end. But with the right gear upstream, a good horn speaker has a clarity with vocals and dynamics that I really like. They are lively and fun to listen too, even at low volumes. This makes them great for TV and movies as well.

I have to agree with others on the Ti tweeter diaphragms helping to smooth the top end a bit. It's money well spent. I did not notice as much of an effect with the crossovers and if I was doing it over, I'd likely just replace the caps and save some money that I could have put into a better amp.

I'd give them a listen and see what your own ears think.

Mark

+1. I have Adair bought new in the 80s sometime and just did the Crites updates, both the titanium upgrade and crossovers.

Back
Top Bottom