CR-1020 & YP-D8 questions.....

kpodolski

I work at a Yamaha motorcycle dealership and we found these two units in the owners basement who passed away last year.

The CR-1020 seems to work OK though the far left meter does nothing.

I'm concerned about the YP-D8. When I plug the unit in the platter starts spinning. Pressing the "OFF" button does nothing. Both pitch adjustment dials work and can be adjusted in the peep window. What really concerns me though are the buttons for the 33/45 selection. As shown in the picture, they are both stuck in the down position and cannot be engaged or disengaged. Also, the original headshell is missing and was replaced with another that will not fit the tone arm. So I have no way of testing the player.

Also, the cueing feature is not working properly. Using the cueing arm only makes the lift move a few millimeters. Not enough to raise or lower the arm appropriately.

Million dollar question; is it worth fixing?

Thanks
ken

IMG_6270_zpsd34c5c5a.jpg

IMG_6272_zps357074f8.jpg

Buttons are both stuck down...
IMG_6275_zps0c1ac248.jpg

Missing head shell...
IMG_6276_zps3377e836.jpg

Head shell found with table. Does not fit!
IMG_6277_zps6972ce18.jpg

The CR-1020 seems to work OK though the far left meter does nothing.
Is the meter switch in SP OUT or SIGNAL Q..Make sure its in SP OUT. When touching the tuning dial, the center meter goes to SIGNAL Q automatically. Once you remove your fingers from the tuning dial it automatically reverts back to SP OUT.

http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/cr-1020-om.pdf

Last edited:
As for a headshell.....Become a AK subscriber(Bartertown :thmbsp:) or keep and eye on Ebay.

Very nice pickup ya stumbled across..

Also, the cueing feature is not working properly. Using the cueing arm only makes the lift move a few millimeters. Not enough to raise or lower the arm appropriately.
Again..Most likely a good cleaning of all old caked grease and reapply fresh lubricant.

Is it worth fixing? I think it is.:yes:

Is the meter switch in SP OUT or SIGNAL Q..Make sure its in SP OUT. When touching the tuning dial, the center meter goes to SIGNAL Q automatically. Once you remove your fingers from the tuning dial it automatically reverts back to SP OUT.

http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/cr-1020-om.pdf

Thanks avionic. The meter switch was set for Signal Q. Setting to SP OUT solved the problem.

Also, thanks for the link to the owners manual. I guess it helps to have a manual to figure out what is going on!

ken

Nice find on both pieces! Yes, definitely worth fixing! And if you don't send it to 4seatpilot - I'd be happy to take on the burden of getting it fixed!

Again..Most likely a good cleaning of all old caked grease and reapply fresh lubricant.

Is it worth fixing? I think it is.:yes:

I have one on the bench now from a local AK'er. (what was I thinking)

In addition to the gunked up old dried up grease and weak metal bar spring in the mechanism making the switches function wonky, it has an issue with the end of record "auto up" that prevents it from starting - keeps shutting off and cuing up.

Going to go down and test the CdS photo sensor now, hopefully it's not that and something else in the discreet auto up circuit board.

Be careful pulling that switch, the SM isn't very replete with instructions.

The cueing lever cover just pulls/slides off a pair of posts - easier to push it off from the bottom side - just go a little at a time on each end.

The covers for the dials and switches are screwed onto the switch sub-assembly from the bottom.

FWIW, I haven't tested it yet or looked closely at overhang/alignment yet, but the headshell from a Technics fits.

Thanks for all of the info re: the turntable guys. Working on this seems like an exercise in futility so I'll probably just sell it as is and hopefully it will go to a good home. Shame since it seems like a really nice table....

Meanwhile, I found another component in storage. A Yamaha K-200 cassette deck. Brand new in the box. Still has the plastic cover on the body. I may have been the first person to power it up.

Seems like a nice deck but it's not working properly. Thankfully I had a couple tapes to check it. The left channel is dead. And when I flip the tape around and hit play, the unit stops and goes into some kind of search mode. Maybe the head is not aligned? Oh well, don't think it's worth messing around with. Probably just needs a proper burial with BFI.......

IMG_6298_zps3d741e86.jpg

Oh, I forgot. I also found a pair of Yamaha three way speakers. Didn't bring them home yet and I forgot the model number. The surround on the woofer was gone but the tweeter and the mid looked good. The cabinets looked descent and the grilles were intact. I'll take some pictures....

Back
Top Bottom