Anybody Running a PC2002 Amp?

bonzoro

Swill Bucket
Subscriber
I am in the process of upgrading my system and am almost done with my Epicure 3.0 clones and my Cornscala's (style A). Is anybody running a PC2002 in their home system? Recommendations? I have decided I want either the Yamaha or a Carver M-500 t Amp. I prefer the amps with the analog meters and I am not looking for a Home Theatre setup(i.e. 5.1, 7.2 100.5 etc.)
I am getting ready to trade/sell my other equipment to pay for my amp upgrade. Is the pro gear a good fit for the home or should I shoot for an M series amp/pre?? I listen to music on the heavy side (Judas Priest/Hell Yeah) metal but not too crazy and 70's rock/Motown with some newer stuff, no country or opera.
Thanks

Perry

Yamaha Pro amps work quite well in the home. I have a P2200, and two P2201 amps. The P2201 amps are the predecessor to the PC2002 (no meters), and the P2200 the predecessor to the PC2002M (Dual analog meters). I also have an M-2, a home amp with a similar design lineage. I've never once regretted investing in the pro gear, and all 3 of my Pro amps run absolutely fantastic. Even the P2201 amps run great despite being bridged. Having them bridged means they see half the normal impedance that they would - which of course makes them work harder and put out more heat. I still have not had even a single issue. I love the huge toroidal transformers that these amps have (including the PC2002/PC2002M).

I'm having trouble imagining a situation where just about anyone would be disappointed with a PC2002 :yes:

I've tried them with a variety of speakers and they all sounded very good. Right now I'm running a pair of PC2002's bridged at 700 wpc with my JBL's. Their indestructible.

The PC2002 is like a M-2 but with 4 pairs of T-03's per side instead of 3 pairs.

When buying, take your meter and measure the DC offset. If it is high, the driver board has become conductive and there is no way to adjust.

Mine has been daily operation for over 10 years and even though it's relegated to sub duty now, it excels at that role while prividing that cool warm meter glow in the room.
If you can get a good deal, don't hesitate to snag one.

Jblnut

Love the PC2002M's.

If you get one be sure to remove the acidic glue from the circuit boards.

I've tried them with a variety of speakers and they all sounded very good. Right now I'm running a pair of PC2002's bridged at 700 wpc with my JBL's. Their indestructible.

I resemble that remark. :D

As Cactus Bob knows, I too run a pair of PC2002M bridged with my 250Ti. I also run a third bridged with my B460 Sub. They've all had what few small lytics in them replaced. Most excellent sound when you want clean AND loud. Those of us with 250Ti know they will suck it all up and ask for more.

I was running a pair of bridged PC4002M (1.4KW) for a while and they were also glorious, but I prefer the PC2002M in my setup.

Yamaha Pro amps work quite well in the home. I have a P2200, and two P2201 amps. The P2201 amps are the predecessor to the PC2002 (no meters), and the P2200 the predecessor to the PC2002M (Dual analog meters). I also have an M-2, a home amp with a similar design lineage. I've never once regretted investing in the pro gear, and all 3 of my Pro amps run absolutely fantastic. Even the P2201 amps run great despite being bridged. Having them bridged means they see half the normal impedance that they would - which of course makes them work harder and put out more heat. I still have not had even a single issue. I love the huge toroidal transformers that these amps have (including the PC2002/PC2002M).

I'm having trouble imagining a situation where just about anyone would be disappointed with a PC2002 :yes:

Agree 100%. As for disappointed, you need to check the threads on the PC5002M. :idea:

As for disappointed, you need to check the threads on the PC5002M. :idea:

Eh, there is always "better" stuff out there. I still can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a PC2002. It would probably be easier and cheaper to acquire two PC2002 / PC2002M amps than a single PC5002M, simply due to how rare the PC5002M is. Two PC2002 / PC2002M (Or even two P2200 / P2201) amps bridged vs a PC5002M would be a very interesting comparison, to say the least. ;)

Eh, there is always "better" stuff out there. I still can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a PC2002. It would probably be easier and cheaper to acquire two PC2002 / PC2002M amps than a single PC5002M, simply due to how rare the PC5002M is. Two PC2002 / PC2002M (Or even two P2200 / P2201) amps bridged vs a PC5002M would be a very interesting comparison, to say the least. ;)

I tried to do that, but mine clips at 400WPC. :thumbsdown:

Chris, I don't disagree with any of your comments, I was just funnin' :beerchug:. With 8-10 PC2002/2002M's in inventory, and probably at least 6 P2200/2201 in various states, could easily set up the bridged test from hell. But there's just something about the 4002M and 5002M that is magnetic in its attraction to me - Just a Godzilla like option in the Yamaha Pro amp world. But then I'm a sucker for big transformer, big heatsink units.

I'd love to see what they could do against the WOPL Phase Linear 400's.

The newest 1-2 rack space Yamaha amps put out as much or more power due to higher efficiency power supplies that don't weigh nearly as much, but they seem ho-hum. Haven't researched how they may sound or perform.

Revisiting this thread, I now have a P-2200, P2100, P2075 and a PC-5002M. Still unhesitatingly recommend this series.

Back
Top Bottom