Yamaha CDX-1100 Platter Motor (VC-40640)

rottalpha

Yamaholic
Subscriber
Hello Gang!

I have picked up a non-working CDX-1100. It powers up but it does not read CD's. After some reading, it appears that the platter motor would be the main culprit or (and hopefully not) the laser.
I say the platter motor is the main suspect, because at first, the was spinning slowly and then it would stop and nothing would happen after. Once I lightly touched the sniping CD, then it never span again. So it could be a contact but most likely the motor (based on what I red).
Anyone's 2c is welcomed.
As of now, my question is, which other Yamaha players use this motor (I am thinking of a donor) or, can it be replaced with other manufacturer part?
What is the rated voltage..I should have checked that before I took it apart:scratch2:

Please help!

Last edited:
OK, so the motor is fine but it looks like the laser is not reading the disc. Bummer, that is what I was afraid off. Are the lasers for this unit unobtanium?
Would the TAOHS-KP1 work in place of the MLP-7?

Last edited:
:tears:double bummer
DSBG and it is already corroding...

I could fix the glue issue, change a few components.....don't know if this is worth the effort.

some pix

Attachments

• 2014-12-20 00.30.29.jpg
    2014-12-20 00.30.29.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014-12-20 00.31.47.jpg
    2014-12-20 00.31.47.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 53
So no one here that is familiar with these CD players?

The progress I made so far is to determine that the problem is with neither of the motors, nor is with the laser.

I found a donor unit (CDX-500) and swapped the lasers and the laser of the broken unit is still good (reading CD's just fine while installed in the CDX-500).

During the swap, The CDX-1100 started playing for a few minutes. After power down/up, it stopped working all together and behaves just as it did before (now with a different, and known to be working laser from the CDX-500).

Based on what I red so far, once the unit stops reading CD's the consensus is that the laser diode is kaput.....but that is not what is happening with my unit.

The problem almost seems to be related to the transport...

Does anyone tried to fix or is aware of any issues with this transport?

PM Dr.Audio and/or refer to his cd repair sticky thread.

He's the man for this very worthy cdp. I have one, and it is very nice.

I have a similar problem with the CDX-910u.
At start it spins then stops as if the laser can't read the disc.
I haven't tried any of the suggestions for maintenance,yet:)
Here's a link: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8686917

Thank you for the link!
The 910 is not quite the same with the 1100 from what I see..and it is not just the box and the dual transformers..Looking at the transport of the 1100, has some sort of magnetic travel for the laser, where the other units that I have, cdx-700, cdx-500, both have another motor and belt mechanism for the positioning of the laser.

I did physically remove the platter motor (which I thought to be the main culprit, and tested it separately with a regulated psu...the motor is just fine.

When in assembly, the platter motor spins just a little bit and then it stops. This is why I started thinking that it was the laser, but that is also not the problem.....

Thank you for the response,

-Peter

Last edited:
PM Dr.Audio and/or refer to his cd repair sticky thread.

He's the man for this very worthy cdp. I have one, and it is very nice.

Thanks for the response!

I did search for Dr.Audio's cd repair sticky thread but had no luck finding it. Do you by any chance have a link?

Thanks,

-Peter

I think you will find it is the laser. I have several CDX-1100u units in my storeroom, all with flaky low output lasers. My LPM (laser power meter) confirms they are on the edge of death. Depending on the reflectivity and the mood the machines were in, they might play for a while or not at all.

I think you will find it is the laser. I have several CDX-1100u units in my storeroom, all with flaky low output lasers. My LPM (laser power meter) confirms they are on the edge of death. Depending on the reflectivity and the mood the machines were in, they might play for a while or not at all.

Thank you for the reply Restorer-John.
I have 3 different machines with the same laser. The only machine not working is the 1100. The other two read pretty much any CD. I swapped the laser from the 1100 in one of the other players and the working player laser in the 1100.

The result is the same. The 1100 behaves the same as before and the other player/s CDX-500 and CDX-700 both, read pretty much any CD (with the laser from the 1100 unit installed.

This was no scientific testing but it confirms with no doubt that it is not the laser head.

After reading more through Dr.Audio's sticky, I also determined that the switch for the loader is not the problem and neither are the laser cables. Tested the switch with a meter and swapped the cables...same behavior and no further progress.

The fact that the unit actually started working intermittently when I first did the power on the last time, tells me that I need to investigate for a bad connection or a bad capacitor somewhere...

additionally, I have not yet addressed the corrosion due to the Sony glue on the PSU.

last, I noted a darker spot resulting from heat, around one of the IC's on the transport board. I have to still test that IC (multiple BJT's).

I will work on the unit a little later today and will start testing some components.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I could really use some guidance here.

Thanks,

-Peter

Try changing some of the electrolytic caps from the servo board and also from the power supply. It is most likely that they had gone bad, taking into account that the player is 25 years old. Please let me know if you managed to solve the problem. I own a cdx-2000. I had no problems yet with it. Regards, Andrei.

I just fixed my CDX 1030 issue, the repair may help you out....
It started in stages but got worse very quickly. Playing a cd, I advanced from track 4 to track 8. The display showed successful, but there was nothing but silence.
I powered on\off, play resumed but into the 3rd track, my 2 channel rig started to sound like my home theater rig switched to the Cathedral mode soundfield. Not good.
So, I am not an electronics repair man, but I have absorbed some very good, useful tips on this site.
This CDX was fully recapped some 3 years ago, so I thought, I had missed 2.
Looking online I identified 2 caps that I had missed, they were on the small board that is attached to the laser unit. A very tedious task, but I got it done.
Cap replacement didn't help, it still sounded weird, skipping was worse. a few minutes into a track it would skip back to the beginning.
I cleaned and lubed the laser tracking rails, cleaned the lens, nothing helped. Sadly I put it into the closet and had my sites set on buying the Yamaha CDS 700.
Fast forward to the next day, when I have a nagging splinter in my mind (sorry.....The Matrix), I always try to solve it. So here is what I found, and it fixed the issue.
I pulled the mainboard out, put it under the illuminiated magnifier glass on the desk and looked for ring cracks, at this point there is nothing left for me to do.
What I found.......the issue was cracked solders indeed, the first suspect, and I found this problem also on my Yamaha C65 pre some years ago, look carefully at the heat sinked transistors (solder side) all three points had ring cracks and by the symptoms, one could very easily think it to be a laser or transport problem.
Good luck, I hope it helps you to get it sorted.

https://db.tt/RFOFkwSS
https://db.tt/tNI8QjSV
https://db.tt/lKFztTFO
https://db.tt/RVTzrxbE

Awesome!

Multumesc Andrei! Thanks Tim!

I have put that project on the side for lack of time. I have been working on other audio gear.

I agree, there could be various reasons for the unit not responding / does not start to read the disc.
Recently I read an article form a EU tech, whom states that in most cases it is not the laser that is the problem and that the laser doesn't die out as often as commonly thought . A bit of a controversial statement but with plenty of data to support it. Here is the article link: http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/laser/Laserology.html

Once I have some time I will reopen this project. I already noted damage from the Sony glue on the psu section, but I did not investigate any further. I am sure that I will solve the issue one way or another, just wish I had more time.
Tanks for the encouragement!

Reactions: Rep
Back
Top Bottom