Yamaha A-1000 in protection - Troubleshooting help

Teja

Hi,

I am new to AK, but I visited the forums several times to read reviews and user experiences on popular receivers and speakers. Thank you all for the wealth of information shared in these forums.

I got myself a used A-1000 (1984) that is in good cosmetic condition but is stuck in protection mode (.... doesn't seem like such a good idea in retrospect :no:). I plan to work on it over the next few weeks (and months, if required) and get it working properly.

I have gone through previous threads on the subject, especially these two:
A 1000 No sound
troubleshooting a Yamaha A-1000
and gathered quite a bit of information (and many thanks to all the contributors). And I downloaded both the owner's & service manuals from the web. I want to run my plan by you once before I start messing with this nice amp.

Problem description: Amp powers up, all lights & buttons work but no sound. Relay does not click.

Amp Condition: The outside of the amp looks very good (for its age). The insides are dirty, there is a thin layer of dust on everything and even some cobwebs in the corners. Clearly it was out of use for quite a while. But, thankfully, no nicotine build-up or smell. Visual inspection does not reveal any burnt or damaged components.

My plan:
1) Dust off the insides properly.
2) Clean/wipe down the boards and components with Isopropyl Alcohol (92%)
3) Check all fuses
4) Verify the voltages at the test points and at the relay coils (as described in the threads referenced above)
5) Check grounding (this seems to be common issue on these amps)
6) Identify & replace components that are damaged or not performing to spec. I know its this last point that is key.

It has been over fifteen years since I last held a soldering iron, but I am hoping it will come back to me once I get started. I am going to take it slow-n-easy and do it right. And I am hoping this forum will guide me once I reach point 6.... I guess it is wishful thinking to hope that it will turn out to be something simple like blown fuses :D

So, am I on the right track? Have I missed anything? Is there is anything else that I can test/check to identify or narrow the source of the problem before I start pulling components for testing?

Will post pics once I am done with the cleaning.

Thanks!!

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, I really like Yamaha receivers. My home theater is powered by a HTR-7065 (the HTR version of RX-V773) hooked up to Infinity Primus speakers, and in my office room an old Yamaha RX-777 (the version before the more popular RX-797) does the duty with Pioneer BS41s. Never got to try Yamaha speakers though, too pricey for my taste.

Last edited:
this may be a silly question but are the jumpers for the preouts installed?

Not to many Yamaha's use jumpers. The A-1000 in particular has no provisions for seperating the pre-amp/power amp.
If yamaha's do have that provision,it is usually a coupler/decoupler switch on the rear panel.

this may be a silly question but are the jumpers for the preouts installed?

Not to many Yamaha's use jumpers. The A-1000 in particular has no provisions for seperating the pre-amp/power amp.
If yamaha's do have that provision,it is usually a coupler/decoupler switch on the rear panel.
The A-1000 doesn't have a coupler at the back (my RX-777 has that). And I don't know about the jumpers, didn't notice any on the board and didn't find any reference in the service manual either.

I've cleaned the unit and am waiting for the mini grabber clips for my multimeter to arrive. Don't want to test my steady hand abilities by attempting to measure the voltage at the transistors with the bare pins :D

The A-1000 doesn't have a coupler at the back (my RX-777 has that). And I don't know about the jumpers, didn't notice any on the board and didn't find any reference in the service manual either.

I've cleaned the unit and am waiting for the mini grabber clips for my multimeter to arrive. Don't want to test my steady hand abilities by attempting to measure the voltage at the transistors with the bare pins :D

The A-1000 in particular has No provisions for seperating the pre-amp/power amp
No jumpers,no coupler switch.

Mini grabbers are a very good investment.

Just happened to have mine on the bench, and open.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN1103[1].jpg
    DSCN1103[1].jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN1104[1].jpg
    DSCN1104[1].jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN1105[1].jpg
    DSCN1105[1].jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1106[1].jpg
    DSCN1106[1].jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN1107[1].jpg
    DSCN1107[1].jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 114
Hi Bubo,

The above pic shows the resistors that looks they've been under heat, am I right? :scratch2:

Anyway, do you have plans to recap it?

Yeah, putting together the parts list and doing my homework for the next victim, my MX-600 that I recapped hasn't gone up in flames......yet. Same for some other minor repairs.

Once I decide which caps are going back in there, I'll add the effected other components from the Dark Glue area.

The baby board with all of the resistors on runs hot for sure, not sure much can be done about. I'll check the rails and other voltages, but I suspect that is what it looks like.

You have probably already seen this thread, but I'll post it anyway.

The video that I linked to demonstrates that the glue once it turns dark becomes conductive and causes shorts.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=345131
No, I wasn't aware of the glue issue. So thanks again. And one more thing to check... looks like I may have bitten off more than I can chew :D

The above pic shows the resistors that looks they've been under heat, am I right? :scratch2:

The baby board with all of the resistors on runs hot for sure, not sure much can be done about. I'll check the rails and other voltages, but I suspect that is what it looks like.
The baby board on mine looks just like that, the board around the resistors looks cooked. From what I read on the other threads, this is normal and there isn't anything we can do about it.

Hi Bubo,

Anyway, do you have plans to recap it?

Replace them with 1/2 watt 27Kohm metal films and stand them above the board about 1/4". There are 20 of them. Two sets of 10 paralleled for a grand total of 2.7K at 2.5 watt.

Yes, I think it's good idea to replace them with higher wattage ones.

For preventive maintenance, parts that can be improved or work flawless, a simple job in advance can be done. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom