Vintage/classic ampli + CD player

Sauternes

Vintage HI-FI newbie
I read in many threads people talking about CA/CT pairs, but I couldn't find any suggestion of ampli + CD player.
of course I expect these to be coming from the 90's so not all that "vintage/classic" as the CA/CT pairs, but anyway any suggestion is welcome!

Indeed, the CA/CTs are from the 1970s. And CD players appeared in 1983.

Since Yamaha kept the same width (43,5cm) for they're separates over the years, it's rather easy to find a matching CD Player from the CD or CDX series. Even Yamahas new models from the CD-S series match.

See my posts here at AK for example.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52897&page=227

_dsc9977iclnm.jpg

WOW!
looks like a perfect fit in spite of the decade(s) between the two!

anyway, what was the "matching ampli" of that CD player?

The problem with Yamaha CD players is the laser is no longer available. If it goes bad you have a boat anchor.

Some are still available, depends on the model. The TAOHS-JP3 for my CDX-810 can still be had, but it costs over 100€ without installation.

That's why I mentioned the "new" Yamahas, like the CD-S300 which has great performance and and matches not so bad.

My CA-810 looks perfectly natural on top of my CDC-585 5-disc changer from the early 2000s. They brought back the tuning fork logo around that time, so in that way they "match." I also took out the blue lenses from the amp so the lighting is amber all the way around (the strobe on my turntable is amber too). quick/dirty pic from my phone:

I wouldn't mind getting a silver-faced CD player but I've never come across one that wasn't either exorbitantly priced or beat up to hell.

Last edited:
yes, the classic Yamaha amplis are so classic that they are a good fit with a lot of devices, but my question was different:
are there ampli/CD player pairs from the 80s and 90s?

for example these days you can buy this duo:
yamaha-a-s500-cd-s300-small-black.jpg

CD Players came out in 1983, and from that date on there where always matching components from Yamaha, including amps, tuners, cassette and CD players.

Another view. The black tuner is on its way…

_dsc124621u2v.jpg

Yes, this is an A-1, with a CD-2 on top. The T-7 is on its way. :)

PS: Sauternes… do you come from the famous wine's region?

Last edited:
Yes, this is an A-1, with a CD-2 on top. The T-7 is on its way. :)

Lucky (and wise) guy!

PS: Sauternes… do you come from the famous wine's region?

No, I'm from Italy, but I like it very much!
I chose that nick several years ago to register to a site where my usual nick, "Barcode", was already taken.
Then I nicknamed "Sauternes" my BMW R1150R motorbike.

Don't know about classic but i'm not complaining one bit.

attachment.php

Knobs are missing on purpose so that my 1,5 yo kid doesn't swallow them.
Unluckily for me the Class A knob was stuck so guess what's hes favorite switch to flip?

How many years between the two? I bet at least 35, but the style is the same, so perfect match!
And probably it is a very good match also soundwise.

Just to learn something (I'm a newbie), "what happens" when you switch to Class A?

Back
Top Bottom