RL 6442 reed relay (CA-2010)

elektronror

My CA-2010 needs a new RL 6442 relay since the old one just doesn't work as it should. The switches inside are worn out so the sound is cutting out all the time.
For the moment it's just bypassed but i would like to replace it.

I've searched around the old Web but nothing seems to fit. Any ideas?

I will try to disassemble it so that i can replace just the two switches but after a quick look it doesn't look good.

I actually managed to remove the switches themselves. What i thought was hardened glue was just silicone.
They length is 14mm so they can be found quite easily.

I'm also going to replace the switches in the phono section just to be sure.

I actually managed to remove the switches themselves. What i thought was hardened glue was just silicone.
They length is 14mm so they can be found quite easily.

I'm also going to replace the switches in the phono section just to be sure.

feel free to post pics :yes:

so you're going to try to replace the reed switches inside of the relay enclosure?

Exactly.

It's actually very easy. However, there is a couple of things that you need to be extra cautious about.
First of, the relay coil can not be damaged in any way. Keep knives and things away from the coil itself. One slip and it's ruined.
Second thing is that reed switches are VERY fragile. You can't just bend the legs because if you do, the glass will crackle letting the gas out.
https://www.digikey.com/Web Export/..._Precautions_for_Reed_Switch.pdf?redirected=1

First you need to take out the relay itself. Make sure you don't heat it too much since you don't want to damage the coil. Ones it's out you open it up and remove the reed switches. Unsolder them and just drag them out with a pair of pliers or something similar. Do NOT push them out with something sharp since you will slip and ruin the coil. They are hold down with silicone which will easy peal away once they're out.
At this step you will now push in the new reed switches to make sure where you should bend and cut the legs. When the trimming is done you can put some new silicone in there and just slide the switches inside. Do not put too much heat on them since once again, they are very fragile.
Solder the relay in place and make sure it works. Put on the cover and enjoy the music.

Attachments

• DSC00789[1].jpg
    DSC00789[1].jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00790[1].jpg
    DSC00790[1].jpg
    127 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00791[1].jpg
    DSC00791[1].jpg
    107 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom