Yamaha CR-2020 Repair?

Dubbin1

I had a CR-2020 given to me but it needs repaired (turns on but has no sound). Question is, what should my limit be on getting this thing fixed and would anyone happen to know where in N/W Ohio I could take it?

Merrylander is our resident Yamaha repair guy. If he doesn't chime in here shoot him a Private Message. Don't know what his schedule is but he's the best Yammie guy for me. I've had him work on a couple of them with great results.

Dubbin1 -- JustFYI, the CR-2020 is a nice peice of gear (I have the CA-2010 which is the integrated amp version). I'm talking really, really nice. If you're into audio, you should worry less about a "limit" and worry instead about getting it fixed up to last you for a lifetime of musical pelasure. You'll likely not find a nicer receiver than the one you now have.

Dubbin1 -- JustFYI, the CR-2020 is a nice peice of gear (I have the CA-2010 which is the integrated amp version). I'm talking really, really nice. If you're into audio, you should worry less about a "limit" and worry instead about getting it fixed up to last you for a lifetime of musical pelasure. You'll likely not find a nicer receiver than the one you now have.

Oh I know all about this thing, I have been after it for 27 years now and he finally gave in (father in law). When it did work it was simply amazing. There is ALWAYS a limit on how much to spend to repair something and I would just like an idea on that limit.

I'm guessing its gonna take me another 27 years to talk him out of his McIntosh :D

Just talked my bro in-law and I guess it needs a couple capacitors replaced. Sounds like a problem in the protect circuit.

The caps in the protect circuit may get it working..But probably not as well as it could perform.. This gem is around 30 years old..I'm sure it is going to need all the controls and switches cleaned and deox'd.Alignments have drifted due to caps and resistors degrading from heating/cooling cycles..

Last edited:
Dave, you're too modest.

Merrylander
EchoWars
Avionic

Any of these guys on AK are excellent, but you'll likely have to get in line. You might disclose your location and ask around for a local recommendation as well. Be certain it also gets the full monty on the Service Bulletin mods that are probably needed as well.

The caps in the protect circuit may get it working..But probably not as well as it could perform.. This gem is around 30 years old..I'm sure it is going to need all the controls and switches cleaned and deox'd.Alignments have drifted due to caps and resistors degrading from heating/cooling cycles..

After seeing how nasty this thing is inside I would have to agree. I'm afraid its going to cost a bit more then I'm willing to put into it :(

After seeing how nasty this thing is inside I would have to agree. I'm afraid its going to cost a bit more then I'm willing to put into it :(

Could you post some pictures? Maybe it is not as bad as you think......These old receivers, you will be surpriced how well they can clean up....

Last edited:
Could you post some pictures? Maybe it is not as bad as you think......These old receivers, you will be surpriced how well they can clean up....

:thmbsp: pet hair, oily grungies, tar, etc. You might be surprised just how nicely it might clean up.

I assure you, that receiver WILL clean up nicely with a little time and effort!

I've run into my fair share of receivers and amps that were pretty ugly on the inside but with some time, a vacuum, a brush, and some Iso alcohol or something to clean the boards, you can get that thing looking good as new.

Reading about all of this vintage stuff just rocked my brain into reminding me that I have a Sony TC-766-2 sitting in storage. Another piece that was given to me by a relative :) I even have the receipt from when he bought it new (not cheap). Also tossed in a bunch of recorded and blank tapes. Wounder what something like that is worth these days.

All of the above plus that lovely yellow tone from years of smoking :smoke:

The tar tends to gather on the heatsinks and one cure is simply to undo the output transitors (marking which one goes where) and pulling the circuit boards off of the heatsink. You can then wash the heatsink in detergent and hot water.

Need Help with CR2020 blowing power amp fuse and shorting output transistor.

Hello all I'm new to this so please point me in the right diriection if this is not the have a CR 2020 that was not working when I bought it. I've done the mods. Checked all the transistiors. Each time I power it up the the B+ fuse on one Amp board blows and short out both TR611 and TR613. So far I've shorted 2 of each. Not shure what is causing the shorts.:tears:

Hello all I'm new to this so please point me in the right diriection if this is not the have a CR 2020 that was not working when I bought it. I've done the mods. Checked all the transistiors. Each time I power it up the the B+ fuse on one Amp board blows and short out both TR611 and TR613. So far I've shorted 2 of each. Not shure what is causing the shorts.:tears:
I think you can stop safely assume TR611 and 613 is not the root problem.
Welcome to AK.. Start a new thread about your 2020.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom