What colour for 124 II?

highcut28

i have two 124 mkII s coming back to life.
One is in very good condition and awaits a new plinth and armboard, will keep its 3012.
The other I inherited, and have fond memories of using it since i was 10 (almost 50 now).
I am astounded that oxidation has lifted off the grey paint. This is worst at the cantilevered support for the armboard, but is really quite extensive.
Its not something that can be ignored cause it is awful white powdery stuff!
It needs a full strip and a new paintjob.
It will sit in a nice wooden plinth and will take a Graham 1.5(black and brass)
What colour should i paint it?
Is it crazy to consider anything other than the original grey?

They do look nice in black but to my eyes, that classic cream color looks so good. I'[d paint it cream or something similar to that.

I vote the classic cream as well, though painting an MK2 he same color as an MK1 does seem a little blasphemous. You could also consider going a little nuts and doing it red or a forest green. It also depends on the color of you other components, etc.

I vote the classic cream as well, though painting an MK2 he same color as an MK1 does seem a little blasphemous. You could also consider going a little nuts and doing it red or a forest green. It also depends on the color of you other components, etc.
I agree, the cream is my favorite of the two. No matter what you paint it, it won't be the original.

A bunch of heretics, that´s what some of you are!:D

You just don´t change the colour of a TD-124. Cream for the MK-I, Grey for the MK-II.

With a little work I´m sure you can even find the Pantone equivalent for each colour.

Jorge

Metaflake burnt orange or metaflake moss green if it were mine.

Otherwise, I find that grey to be boorish and dull. The cream is nice, as would a nice pearl white or warm titanium, or even copper pearl.

thanx for your ideas boys.
Just received some parts from US to begin getting these babies going again.
Will keep ya'all posted on what colour i settle on, with pics.

HI,
Boy, it's a tough call for me. I suppose if I were going to change from the stock grey (which I really don't like that much but it is the classic color), I would go with high gloss black. I would have the paint job professionally done so it would be mirror perfect. I would install an all chrome tone arm for contrast on a polished ebony arm board. I think it would be stunning especially if the platter cover is polished to a mirror-like finish. You would need a new platter mat to finish the new look.

Sparky

As long as the original color is beyond salvaging, and you don't intend to resell it, I think you can paint it any color you like. I found one in a hammered green finish that looked pretty nice! A lot will depend upon what color your plinth is, and what color your armboard(s) will be. I'd say design the whole scheme -- plinth, turntable, armboard and tonearm-- as a whole concept. If you aren't going to use the original mat, then consider that, too. I've seen a lot of these online where the parts didn't complement each other very well. The good-looking ones are usually the ones where EVERYTHING is complementary.

But you can't really go wrong with the cream on the Mk Is. It's a beautiful shade that is sufficiently neutral to complement most plinth colors without clashing.

Gosh i realise its almost 5 yrs ago that i staerted this thread.
Its been a long patient journey and i have finally got it back in service.
It was stripped, painted silver - a Merc silver i think. A reasonably good paintjob.
The motor was completely rebuilt , motor grommets changed.
Spindle for platter bearing changed, new idler, belt, mushrooms
Parts were mostly from this guy Mirko a most exasperating chap to deal with !
Got a plinth made of ash.
Arm is now a Graham 1.5 which needed to be refurbished, new sorbothane damper - another exasperating experience getting stuff from Graham.
It was very well put together by my pal Lee, who put in a Denon DL 103R
So here it is.
It sounds really superb and is a joy to use and look at.
I think the silver is cool without being outlandish.

Attachments

• DSCF5056.jpg
    DSCF5056.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF5057.jpg
    DSCF5057.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF5063.jpg
    DSCF5063.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 52
Gosh i realise its almost 5 yrs ago that i staerted this thread.
Its been a long patient journey and i have finally got it back in service.
It was stripped, painted silver - a Merc silver i think. A reasonably good paintjob.
The motor was completely rebuilt , motor grommets changed.
Spindle for platter bearing changed, new idler, belt, mushrooms
Parts were mostly from this guy Mirko a most exasperating chap to deal with !
Got a plinth made of ash.
Arm is now a Graham 1.5 which needed to be refurbished, new sorbothane damper - another exasperating experience getting stuff from Graham.
It was very well put together by my pal Lee, who put in a Denon DL 103R
So here it is.
It sounds really superb and is a joy to use and look at.
I think the silver is cool without being outlandish.

Very nicely done! Great to see a 124 come back to its former glory. Heard sketchy things about Mirko when I was buying parts for my 124, although the quality of his pieces is reported to be very good. I hear there were some people who did not get their pieces in the end, so glad it all worked out for you.

Beautiful table. And do you have a pic of the the other one in stock form?
Would be awesome to see that one too!!!

Regards
Mister Pig

Nice looking table.

The color is not my cup of tea as I would prefer the original cream color, but it is personal preference, after all.

Great looking deck, and nice paint job. I'm sure it sounds wonderful. I just love them. I'll be building a plinth for mine sometime after the holidays.

Enjoy.:thmbsp:

Nice looking table.

The color is not my cup of tea as I would prefer the original cream color, but it is personal preference, after all.

Great looking deck, and nice paint job. I'm sure it sounds wonderful. I just love them. I'll be building a plinth for mine sometime after the holidays.

Enjoy.:thmbsp:

Its a MKII, so cream isn't the original color :)

Its a MKII, so cream isn't the original color :)

You're right. My bad.

It's the finish that threw me off.

thorens-td124.jpg

Enjoy your MK2.

Back
Top Bottom