Bought a couple of new cartridges

vintagetuber

Spin to Win
Subscriber
My wife took me to a Hi Fi shop in Madison the other day for my birthday, and I left 375 bucks poorer. Not only that, but I have thoughts on replacing my Carver m500t with something very new and very expensive. Starts with Mc....

I bought two cartridges. A Grado blue, and an Ortofon blue. I got the
Grado for my Technics SL-D3. The Ortofon went on the HK T40. Compared to the out dated carts that were on each TT, It is like night and day.

Just an observance, but if I could do it over again, I would rethink the Ortofon. The Grado that I bought at half the cost is a better deal. The Ortofon lacks depth, in my opinion. I do recognize the need for a lighter weight cartridge for the HK tone arm, but I am not sold on Ortofon. I think the HK TT would do better with something else. I am just not sure what yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 70
Madison WI? Whats the name of the shop? I'm North of Milwaukee, might be worth the trip! Nice table

Madison WI? Whats the name of the shop? I'm North of Milwaukee, might be worth the trip! Nice table

University Audio is the name of the shop. Good stuff. Authorized Grado dealer. They have new Mc Intosh and Rotel, and NAD and so forth. B&W loudspeakers. Makes me feel very inadequate to go in, but I still loved it there.

I bought two cartridges. A Grado blue, and an Ortofon blue. I got the
Grado for my Technics SL-D3. The Ortofon went on the HK T40. Compared to the out dated carts that were on each TT, It is like night and day.

Trading places?

As an experiment, put the Grado on the HK turn table and the Ortofon 2M Blue on the Technics SL-D3. :scratch2:

Hi Vintagetuber, send me a PM when your ready to make a move. I've been looking at that model Carver.
Thanks

BillWojo

Give 'em break in time... I'm more of a Grado fan too, but I'll bet the Ortofon will open up nicely if you give it time. It's nude stylus is more advanced than the Grado, so it should hold it's own.

Those Carvers are nice, too. Good sound and enough power to arc-weld with. Not to mention cool meters. Gotta have cool meters.

Those Carvers are nice, too. Good sound and enough power to arc-weld with. Not to mention cool meters. Gotta have cool meters.

No doubt on the power level in the Carver. I am a welder by trade, and the lights in my home are flickering with the tempo....

The Grado had a low level hum on my T-40. I liked the Signet TK3Ea (AT 120 family) Cart on it.

Barney

I was told on here by someone on here that the Grado may not be an ideal match for my SL1300 which looks to have the same arm as your D3. I like BaliFly's idea, swap them and see how they match up on the other turntables?

Edit - post above mine says Hum issue with Grado and the HK table.. forgot about that possibility.

I have used Grados on my 1300, (as well as on an SL-D2 and Q3,) and they will work. That arm is towards the heavier end of what they prefer, but they play well, and won't hum. If you try it and aren't happy with the performance, there are some some tricks to dialing in your tonearm resonant frequency that AK user Marcmorin advised me about... And they work.

I have used Grados on my 1300, (as well as on an SL-Q3,) and they will work. That arm is towards the heavier end of what they prefer, but they play well, and won't hum. If you try it and aren't happy with the performance, there are some some tricks to dialing in your tonearm resonant frequency that AK user Marcmorin advised me about... And they work.

Never said it wont work, just that it may not be ideal. Been using the Green on mine for probably 15 years. Never hurts to swap things around, especially if it ends up making both tables sound better :)

Just curious, what are the "out dated" cartridges that you replaced?

Sometimes a stylus upgrade can do wonders.

Give 'em break in time... I'm more of a Grado fan too, but I'll bet the Ortofon will open up nicely if you give it time. It's nude stylus is more advanced than the Grado, so it should hold it's own.

The tracing area of both diamonds are the same. how the diamond is mounted to the cantilever is not so important. The mounting doesn't contact the vinyl. "effective tip mass" is a calculation of the whole of the stylus assembly. In the Grado stylus, the diamond accounts for about 7% of that total figure. The Grado will have a greater frequency response, and greater channel separation across the "usable" frequency range. The Ortofon will benefit from dialing in the capacitive loading due to it high internal inductance.

The tracing area of both diamonds are the same. how the diamond is mounted to the cantilever is not so important. The mounting doesn't contact the vinyl. "effective tip mass" is a calculation of the whole of the stylus assembly. In the Grado stylus, the diamond accounts for about 7% of that total figure. The Grado will have a greater frequency response, and greater channel separation across the "usable" frequency range. The Ortofon will benefit from dialing in the capacitive loading due to it high internal inductance.

That's true...

There must be something considerable about the nude mount of the 2M blue, though. As far as I know, the tracing area is the same as the red, yet according to all who have directly compared them the blue sounds different... Much better. There may be other factors at work there, like cantilever design, maybe tip cut or polish quality. I don't know. The most obvious difference is that the blue is nude and the red is bonded.

I honestly don't know, (I'm certainly no physics major,) so I may be very wrong... I thought the reason why minimizing tip mass was so important has to do with it's location on the cantilever in relation to the fulcrum point. (Opposite ends.) The more mass at the end of the cantilever, the less quickly it can respond to changes in direction. And the longer a cantilever is, the more leverage it gives this mass, and thus this effect is amplified, right? So even though it sounds insignificant, wouldn't lopping off 3-4% of your tip mass make a significant difference because of leverage?

For a Grado example, modern prestige styli have a more slender looking cantilever than my old F1+ stylus. Yet, IMO the F1+ smokes them. The F1+ has a beautiful nude rock, and the new prestige styli are bonded. On the other hand, the 8MZ (of current production) is bonded, and I would give it the competitive edge. However, there are still things that I think that F1+ did better. Could that be the nude tip at work?

That's true...

There must be something considerable about the nude mount of the 2M blue, though. As far as I know, the tracing area is the same as the red, yet according to all who have directly compared them the blue sounds different... Much better. There may be other factors at work there, like cantilever design, maybe tip cut or polish quality. I don't know. The most obvious difference is that the blue is nude and the red is bonded.

I honestly don't know, (I'm certainly no physics major,) so I may be very wrong... I thought the reason why minimizing tip mass was so important has to do with it's location on the cantilever in relation to the fulcrum point. (Opposite ends.) The more mass at the end of the cantilever, the less quickly it can respond to changes in direction. And the longer a cantilever is, the more leverage it gives this mass, and thus this effect is amplified, right? So even though it sounds insignificant, wouldn't lopping off 3-4% of your tip mass make a significant difference because of leverage?

For a Grado example, modern prestige styli have a more slender looking cantilever than my old F1+ stylus. Yet, IMO the F1+ smokes them. The F1+ has a beautiful nude rock, and the new prestige styli are bonded. On the other hand, the 8MZ (of current production) is bonded, and I would give it the competitive edge. However, there are still things that I think that F1+ did better. Could that be the nude tip at work?

I can't answer to the differences in the Ortofon. It does have a different pivoting system than the Grado. Calling it effective "tip mass" one naturally assumes we're looking at the mass created at the very tip during play. However, effective tip mass is a calculation of the whole moving mass. On the Ortofon, that would be the mass on the other side of the pivot, namely the magnet, also. To throw a wrench into the works, the longer the cantilever from pivot, the less mass is created at the stylus. How is this possible? The stylus travels a certain distance right and left, up and down during play. The further from pivot this happens, the smaller the arc in length of the movement. Because of gravity, velocity creates mass. the shorter the cantilver, the greater the arc. the greater the arc, the more distance the stone travels in the same amout of time. if it should have to travel twice the distance R/L to play the groove, the mass created at the tip is 4 times than the mass created traveling half the arc distance. Back to Grado specific a moment. It has a fixed pivot point just beyond the generating ring. There is no mass movement past the pivot, ie no teeter totter. The longer cantilever provides more mechanical advantage, but due to reduced length of arc creates less mass inertia at tip. The F1+ was a fine stylus in its day, only surpassed by the Signature 1. I have one in very low miles, I also have a G1+ in very low miles only surpassed by the Signature 2. I also have examples of the 8MZ in both original nude stone and re-issued bonded. I don't hear a dimes worth of difference. Most of the "sonics" are found in the cantilever( whole assembly) in just about any cart once you have comparable tracing faces on the stones.

Just curious, what are the "out dated" cartridges that you replaced?

Sometimes a stylus upgrade can do wonders.

The Technics had a fully integrated Nagatron 195 ie, and the HK had an Ortofon vms5e mk ii that was like 20 years old at least.

I can't answer to the differences in the Ortofon. It does have a different pivoting system than the Grado. Calling it effective "tip mass" one naturally assumes we're looking at the mass created at the very tip during play. However, effective tip mass is a calculation of the whole moving mass. On the Ortofon, that would be the mass on the other side of the pivot, namely the magnet, also. To throw a wrench into the works, the longer the cantilever from pivot, the less mass is created at the stylus. How is this possible? The stylus travels a certain distance right and left, up and down during play. The further from pivot this happens, the smaller the arc in length of the movement. Because of gravity, velocity creates mass. the shorter the cantilver, the greater the arc. the greater the arc, the more distance the stone travels in the same amout of time. if it should have to travel twice the distance R/L to play the groove, the mass created at the tip is 4 times than the mass created traveling half the arc distance. Back to Grado specific a moment. It has a fixed pivot point just beyond the generating ring. There is no mass movement past the pivot, ie no teeter totter. The longer cantilever provides more mechanical advantage, but due to reduced length of arc creates less mass inertia at tip. The F1+ was a fine stylus in its day, only surpassed by the Signature 1. I have one in very low miles, I also have a G1+ in very low miles only surpassed by the Signature 2. I also have examples of the 8MZ in both original nude stone and re-issued bonded. I don't hear a dimes worth of difference. Most of the "sonics" are found in the cantilever( whole assembly) in just about any cart once you have comparable tracing faces on the stones.

Interesting stuff... Thank you for the detailed response. That does make sense. I've never heard the original 8MZ, but it is interesting that it is so similar to the current model... Looking closely at the current 8MZ, it does appear to have a pretty petit mount as opposed to a big glob that some older/cheaper bonded styli had. I suppose that technology has probably advanced over time.

Back
Top Bottom