The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

quietcity

Music Aficionado
After Recently picking up a used technics sl-1200m3d off the local craigslist for $50 and realizing I wont ever need another turntable in my entire life, I thought I would start up the Official Technics Sl-1200xxx Owners club.

Even if you dont own a 1200 im hoping this can be a thread for everyone who needs any sort of info on these truly wonderful tables. So please feel free to contribute to this thread and keep it alive!

I apologize but keeping up with adding everyone to this list has become too big of a task for me. I hope you can understand that I do appreciate everyone's contributions to this amazing thread we have all created. I hope everyone still continues to get great joy and valuable information from this awesome collection we all gathered and put forth. Thanks again and keep spinnin! - Brian

Useful links
Please feel free to PM me if you got a cool link (doesn't have to be this site)
...As an audiophile TThttp://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178307&highlight=technics+sl-1200
Kabusahttp://kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm
AK's Technics SL-1200 Social Grouphttp://www.audiokarma.org/forums/group.php?groupid=55

technicslogo.jpg

*Official Owners*

2DualsNotEnough
AarheadC
AdamAnt316
Afury8
agypsy
alabamawoody
americankiwi
Andy H
Argyle
asmd
Autobot
bakes
baldnolocks
bassnutt
beatcomber
beej
BenWaB3
Beobloke
bholz
Big Mac
BigManAndy
Bikkerider
BHamm
BobbyCash
boo07
boonie
BroonsBane
brucered
cactuscowboy
cali9dub
Cantabury Guy
catrafter
caravelle
cason
Casualkiller
Charlie White
Chip - HP
Chuck M
Classicrock
costerdock
cpmusic
cragus
Cyrix 2k
DC
DLariv308
docpuro
dogpile
doom
drfibes13
drknife
dshoaf
efhjr
ehegwer
ericjustin
Erik Tracy
Fast Eddie
frankmarsi
Frank Sol
gahpg
GALLOFORM
GasMan
gelmhirst
gmku
Grog
grundigger
gumbercules
gx502
hags
haloeighteen
hellomika
hendertuckie
hookhead
HypnoToad
IB21
iceman79
iLUVanalog
Jack Gilvey
jclyle
jdwk
Jeff K
jhinkel
jhoak
JHoman
jlc76
Joewp
joeybuckets
John in MA
jopav
Jorge Freire
Jovinyl
jrhymeammo
Junknewbian
Just Looking
KentTeffeteller
Kickingbird2
KidColero
Kierkegaard
kitjunkie
kowalski
leepal
legalalien
leoshueh
lizblue
loopy
m4rz
macman007
majick47
mancubus
manpikin
Marantz 500
marantzfan
Mark0
markfig
markshan
Mc Man
MeTaL HeaD
mgalvez
Mike New
Millstone
MouseMaster
mrharrison
MWalt
mwv121
nthngfuture
nucleus76
Old Tech
OneMixDJ
panotaker
parafyn
pbinpb57
peterFCassidy
pilotprose
pioneervato
pipcell
Punkrudeboy
Qilin
Qoognish
quietcity
rexrider
RickeyM
Riveiraranch
rkcran
rmsretire
sailbum 2000
SaSi
ScottP
Scout1
Smokin Amps
Socioloco
soma89
Sophia
soundman2
Sovereign
Stark
steely
Steezo
swissvalemac
sxty8goats
synclavier82
Tapehead47
tech10m5
texasmcfan
thedelihaus
the nines
Theron D
Tiamat
timofred
tolstoi
TomG
tomrich22
tooch
treserious
ukfan4sure!
UnrealIce
Urchinn
vincei
Vinyl Addict
virak
voltcontrol
Waluch
wdug
whell
Wolf Br
xmas111
xphada
zeplin43

Last edited:
I'd like to join- with an original SL-120 (armless 1200), and two SL-1200 MK IIs "in limbo" on thier way.

How loose or strict are the parameters going to be? Are owners of the SL-110 and 1100 allowed?

How about the original 1300-1800s?

Or the 1300-1800 MK IIs?

Or is it strictly going to be the 1200?

You can set up an "AK social group" to join- much like Sansui members have, or MC owners, or fans of punk rock...

I have a KAB 1200 MK5... of course mine wasnt a $50 score (closer to $1600 lol.....) but I have one ID like to join as well. WE gotta get a Rega Guy to get one and try it in their system.......see if we can get some converts.

Last edited:
After Recently picking up a used technics sl-1200m3d off the local craigslist for $50 and realizing I wont ever need another turntable in my entire life,
Ha! That's a good one! You're infected now. You may not need another turntable, but you'll end up with more. :yes:

A SL-1200 Club?

Well sure, count me in. Here is my SL-1210M5G sporting a Denon DL-160 (already posted in another thread but may as well put it here too).

And I can't believe you picked up that MD3 for $50. For crying out loud, I never have that kind of luck.

ETA: Don't we need some kind of official Technics logo? You know, to be all official and stuff. :D

25q3n6g.jpg

Well I was thinking strictly the 1200 series. Im not discounting Technics other products of course.

Also what kinda mats are you guys using? Currently i just have the felt mat on because thats all it came with. Should i look into going rubber? Or felt on top of rubber? Anyone have any experience/opinions?

Also what kinda mats are you guys using? Currently i just have the felt mat on because thats all it came with. Should i look into going rubber? Or felt on top of rubber? Anyone have any experience/opinions?

What you have is a "slip mat" used for DJ'ing and scratching. I recommend getting a Technics replacement rubber mat. Mine came with both but I use the rubber one, which is for "audiophile" use.

KAB sells the extra thick mat so I'd toss that slipmat and go over to KAB, and either grab the standard or extra thick rubber mat.

There's over mats folk enjoy too,like the Herbies mat and others.

Is it okay I'm a member with an original 1200 and not a 1200 MK II?

I'm in for sure. I love mine...but most of all, it lets me enjoy my vinyl!
SL- 1200mkII

Well I was thinking strictly the 1200 series. Im not discounting Technics other products of course.

There aren't too many people who are using an 1100-series as their primary turntable, as I am, so a dedicated thread would be unlikely; but remember that the original 1200 was just a "specialized" version of the 1100.

I love the 1100 (and own the armless 110) but they are different enough to warrant a distinction.

Perhaps a sister group?

Tell me about your 1100- which arm is mounted? I have an SME 3009 and may modify a Sony PUA-07 to a second arm board...

Well, I sold my VPI HW-19MkIII w/a Rega RB-900 arm and purchased my SL-1200 via Craigslist for about $250 or so - a non-DJ'd version, too. I used the extra $$ left over from the VPI sale for a Denon DL-103R and some KAB accessories such as the hinges.

I'm quite glad I made the move as I don't miss all that constant upgrade-itis you get with the VPI stuff. I did get the mat from KAB but have yet to install the arm damper.

The TT operates flawlessly and it has a dust cover. I love the looks of some of the fine tables from SME, etc, but they don't bother with a dust cover. Bad, bad.....

Cheers,

David

I've owned the original 1200, also had the 1300. I have two 1200 MKII tables. Yes I use them in a DJ setup. No I no longer DJ. The setup is my ultimite stereo that I wanted to build for my personel use. You don't really have to do anything to a 1200. If you feel you must, have at it. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom