Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

classic carl

Without Music, Life Would B FLAT.
Subscriber
Music Hall is coming out with an updated version of their speed control device in a few weeks according to a local MH dealer. I was going to buy a Pro-Ject Speed Box II and asked my dealer if they could get me one for my MH mmf-5.1. Unknown to me, Music Hall had their own version of the Speed Box, but it was designed to mount under a shelf with screws. :thumbsdn: The original Cruise Control has been discontinued. The new Cruise Control 2.0 looks more like the Speed Box SE with the digital readout, but at less than half the price of the Pro-Ject. MSRP is $299 as opposed to the Speed Box SE at $629.
This new unit has not even appeared on the Music Hall website yet. Stereophile provided a sneak peek via the link below.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-hall-cruise-control-20

Last edited:
Music Hall is coming out with an updated version of their speed control device in a few weeks according to a local MH dealer. I was going to buy a Pro-Ject Speed Box II and asked my dealer if they could get me one for my MH mmf-5.1. Unknown to me, Music Hall had their own version of the Speed Box, but it was designed to mount under a shelf with screws. :thumbsdn: The original Cruise Control has been discontinued. The new Cruise Control 2.0 looks more like the Speed Box SE with the digital readout, but at less than half the price of the Pro-Ject. MSRP is $299 as opposed to the Speed Box SE at $629.
This new unit has not even appeared on the Music Hall website yet. Stereophile provided a sneak peek via the link below.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-hall-cruise-control-20

I was talking to Roy Hall on the phone a few months ago and he was telling me about the new Cruise Control 2.0 as well as his new turntable mat. I had forgot about them and all of a sudden retailers have them.

Personally, I use a Project Speed Box II with my 5.1. Less than $200 and a lot of improvement. I may buy the Music Hall mat (Needledoctor) as well. I also read on another forum that you can use the Project acrylic platter on the MMF 5.1 as well. I wouldn't mind giving that a go, either.

I may go with the Speed Box II myself. The new Cruise Control is almost twice as much as the SB II at $159. I don't really need the digital readout and the variable pitch. I was wondering if the acrylic platter would fit on the MH tables. It's only $109 at Music Direct. They akso have the MH cork mat. I also read that the stock felt mat is recommended for the acrylic platter. I have a Herbie's mat on my table now. For less than the price of the CC 2.0, I can get the platter and the Speed Box II. Seems like a no brainer.

I just looked on Agon and there was an acrylic platter (new listing today) for sale, but it sold already. Seller mentioned that he used it on his MH 2.2 table.

I just looked on Agon and there was an acrylic platter (new listing today) for sale, but it sold already. Seller mentioned that he used it on his MH 2.2 table.

Even Roy Hall couldn't tell me whether the Project acylic platter fit on the MH 5.1 or not. I read it somewhere, maybe a thread on vinyl engine where a guy had it on a MMF 2.1. It would stand to reason that it would fit, but who wants to take a $109 chance? I suppose you could send it back if it didn't work.

The Pro-Ject Acryl-it is a drop in replacement for the MH 2.2 I use it on mine. Big improvement over the crappy metal platter.

I emailed Pro-ject about using it on a Debut III, when I used that table. I was concerned about the VTA changing since the 8.6 arm had no vta adj. They told me it was an exact replacement.

The Pro-Ject Acryl-it is a drop in replacement for the MH 2.2 I use it on mine. Big improvement over the crappy metal platter.

I emailed Pro-ject about using it on a Debut III, when I used that table. I was concerned about the VTA changing since the 8.6 arm had no vta adj. They told me it was an exact replacement.

Thanks Zenith.
Oddly, shortly before I bought my 5.1, the mmf-5 had an acrylic platter on it stock. When they upgraded the 5 to the 5.1, they replaced it with the alloy platter. I think the "upgrade" there was to the bottom line. :thumbsdn:

Thanks Zenith.
Oddly, shortly before I bought my 5.1, the mmf-5 had an acrylic platter on it stock. When they upgraded the 5 to the 5.1, they replaced it with the alloy platter. I think the "upgrade" there was to the bottom line. :thumbsdn:

I thought that the platter was a glass one on the MMF 5. A friend of mine has one and his is glass. I just happen to remember because I thought the glass looked pretty cool. I read somewhere that glass wasn't a good medium for a platter.

Mark, you might be right. I read that about glass on this forum, but didn't know that the mmf-5 was glass. I've just seen it in photos on the web and assumed it was acrylic. I didn't know they actually made glass platters. I just thought it was a slang term for the acrylic...like plexiglass.

Mark, you might be right. I read that about glass on this forum, but didn't know that the mmf-5 was glass. I've just seen it in photos on the web and assumed it was acrylic. I didn't know they actually made glass platters. I just thought it was a slang term for the acrylic...like plexiglass.

Yeah, I want to say that I saw an older Rega Planar with a glass platter at a HiFi shop in Cali when I was out of Ohio kickin it. I think acrylic would be cool on the MMF 5.1. I would do it to mine now, except all my efforts are going into modding my Technics SL 1200 MKII at the moment.

The cruise control 2.0 is a bargain IMO - had it working with my Rega p25 for about a week now, speed problems (was a little fast) fixed and switching from 33 to 45 most convenient. Initial reaction re sound is soundstage has deepend somewhat but I am admittedly wrapped up in the excitement of new gear in my system still so may not be observing objectively. This thing looks EXACTLY the same as the pro-ject speed box ii se ($629) and the cruise control sells for $300. Highly recommended....... Especially for Rega p25........

Last edited:
The cruise control 2.0 is a bargain IMO - had it working with my Rega p25 for about a week now, speed problems (was a little fast) fixed and switching from 33 to 45 most convenient. Initial reaction re sound is soundstage has deepend somewhat but I am admittedly wrapped up in the excitement of new gear in my system still so may not be observing objectively. This thing looks EXACTLY the same as the pro-ject speed box ii se ($629) and the cruise control sells for $300. Highly recommended....... Especially for Rega p25........

Yeah i noticed the looks and the price...I betcha they go up a bit once they catch on...im going to grab one soon.

I'm thinking about picking up the cruise control for my mmf-7. As I'm a newb on TT technology I am curious what improvements I can expect and why? Also, does it automatically set the speed or do you manually control it? How do you know when it is right (indication on controller vs what the platter is actually doing?)?

I think if all you get is not having to manually deal with the belt when you want 45 RPM, it's a winner. It also improves speed accuracy which is a good thing. Basically, icing on the cake and makes a good turntable better.

I think if all you get is not having to manually deal with the belt when you want 45 RPM, it's a winner. It also improves speed accuracy which is a good thing. Basically, icing on the cake and makes a good turntable better.

So it is connected to the motor somehow other than just power to sense the RPMs and compensates? do you program it to know how fast to spend the motor to deal with different pulley ratios?

The Cruise control does not magically know your 'table is spinning at exactly 33.3 or 45 RPM. To figure that out use a strobe disk setup (e.g. KAB SpeedStrobe http://www.needledoctor.com/KAB-SpeedStrobe-Disc).

If your turntable is spinning 2 fast or slow you can increase/decrease speed in .01 RPM increments on the Cruise Control.

For example, my Rega P25 is now spinning at exactly 33.3 - originally it was spinning a little fast, so I slowed it down by .1 RPM so Crusie Control displays speed of 33.2 RPM.

The Cruise control does not magically know your 'table is spinning at exactly 33.3 or 45 RPM. To figure that out use a strobe disk setup (e.g. KAB SpeedStrobe http://www.needledoctor.com/KAB-SpeedStrobe-Disc).

If your turntable is spinning 2 fast or slow you can increase/decrease speed in .01 RPM increments on the Cruise Control.

For example, my Rega P25 is now spinning at exactly 33.3 - originally it was spinning a little fast, so I slowed it down by .1 RPM so Crusie Control displays speed of 33.2 RPM.

Got it. Thanks!

Hi,
The music hall cruise control works in the land of 60Hz power (USA,Canada)by making a 44.32Hz sine wave@33 1/3rpm and 60Hz sine wave@45rpm so you must put the belt on the 45rpm pulley and leave it.To change speed just push the speed control button.The Pro-ject SpeedBox II and SE work the same way.Now in 50Hz power land it's 50Hz sine wave@33 1/3rpm 67.5Hz sine wave@45rpm and the belt is left on on 33 1/3 50Hz pulley.All 3 power supplys will work with thorens tables with 16V motors and with the MM cruise control & SE II with110v motor of thorens,Rega,Linn and it will work with most tables with 110V synchronous motors

Last edited:

you think this would work with a VPI Scout?

Back
Top Bottom