Identify These Cartridges Please

Killer Fox

I recently bought a Pioneer PL-510. It came with 2 carts. One is obviously an AT but what model? The other one is purple in case color doesn't show up on screen.

I'm just coming back to TTs after 30+ years so I'm not up on this stuff.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20141219_081222.jpg
    20141219_081222.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 20141219_081206.jpg
    20141219_081206.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 173
The AT looks like an AT13ea - if you take it off the headshell it will be written on the top of the cartridge body.

It is an excellent cartridge - in fact one of the best elipticals out there - very sweet sound.

I think the Audio Technica is an AT14Sa, very nice. Don't know about the Empire but there are a lot of good styli that will fit.

John

Based on the stylus, the Audiotechnica could be a AT-14SA. AT put their model numbers on the top of the cartridge, the side up against the headshell.

Hard to tell what is going on with that Empire; my guess is that is an aftermarket stylus as a genuine one would say "Empire" on the front.

The At could be as others have said an AT14SA or it could also be a DR500LC usually AT would have the number on the stylus guard.

Not sure I want to remove the AT cartridge. Don't want to mess something up.

Pretty sure it's an AT14Sa. The AT13Ea has an orange stylus and a silver body. The AT20SLa has a gold body (I believe the same gold body as the AT14Sa electrically) but with a black stylus grip.

Now, Audio Technica had a habit of offering cartridges under different model numbers but that were exactly the same. The AT14Sa is one of those. It reappeared as the LS500.

John

Pretty sure it's an AT14Sa. The AT13Ea has an orange stylus and a silver body. The AT20SLa has a gold body (I believe the same gold body as the AT14Sa electrically) but with a black stylus grip.

Now, Audio Technica had a habit of offering cartridges under different model numbers but that were exactly the same. The AT14Sa is one of those. It reappeared as the LS500.

John

Sounds like either way it's a decent cartridge.

So is that AT headshell an upgrade over the stock Pioneer that the AT cartridge is on?

Not really. It's a good headshell but so is the original Pioneer.

I'm not finding much info online on the Empire. Is it a good one?

Empire offered cartridges under hundreds of model numbers but really only made a handful of different bodies. The difference was mostly in the stylus that was originally fitted.

John

The Empire lineup was quite good. I used to run a 9000 some decades ago and it was not as critical to setup as others and I liked the sound as well as my Shure V15 (original). Not quite as good as my ADC XLM or B&O SP12. I think I still have the body.

Back
Top Bottom