Anyone doing a garden?

Ya know ... I never really got into the hot hot until I started using capsaicin cream for accumulated aches and pains. Same stuff that makes peppers sting. Typically 0.025% for topical creams, but you can get 0.1% over the counter. Haven't a clue what the Scovall units are for that, but it WILL burn big time first few times you use it, even if you build up from using the weaker stuff. Tolerance builds over time to where that's not an issue, but you want to be very careful what you touch after using it ... eyes, nose ... all the other sensitive bits ... I'll leave that to your imagination ...

Anyway ... I now find myself reaching for the bottle of GREEN stuff regularly ...

Therapists use 0.25%, but they wear gloves and a respirator when applying it and rinse it as soon as they see blisters. Yeow!

PS ... it's supposed to be good for prostate too, but I'm afraid to ask where and how you need to apply it, and whether you'd need flame proof shorts after ... although self lighting farts might be a real blast at parties ...

Anyone with arthritis, I'd highly recommend using capsaicin in a pill form. Much easier on the butt hole.

I have chipotle peppers the size of a 16 oz water bottle. Really huge this year.

Oh...never considered eating one. Just creeped through the garden, so I thought this was the right thread...

We let the little fellow his ways after the foto-session. This butterflies (and its caterpillars) are protectet, if I don't go wrong.

Now, not exactly "in" the garden, but this cactus took me years to grow. And flower - but in the last five or six years it never let me down and when the flowers show, it's shurley the end of summer...
The seeds where given to me from my bio-teacher back in 8th or 9th class - oh, that was over 15 years ago. :headscrat

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 20
Planted the first of many pepper plants. Four Red Habanero plants. Got the ground ready for 22 other different plants.

This is my 2nd year of having a garden. Planted 25 strawberry plants last year and they have thrived. If all goes well I should have a large berry harvest this year.

I am on vacation this week and getting my garden planted is my main priority. Mostly tomatoes, peppers, zucchini.

Gardening takes on a slightly different slant up here in cold country. Here's the state of my crop this year ...

greenhouse-tables-covered.jpg

I do everything from seed. Not reliable to set anything out in the beds till June 1 up here, so the greenhouse gets a workout. Greenhouse tables are heated as well as it still gets right cold at night. Just today planted the cukes and melons, and got some hanging baskets started for mid summer bloom.

PS ... my retirement present to myself ...

GreenhouseFinal.jpg

Got all my peppers in the ground. 25 assorted plants. My blueberry plants are so loaded that I'm going to have to tie some limbs up today. My blackberry plants are loaded with blooms and a few green blackberries. Fixing to turn on the soaker hose to the blackberries.

Finished prepping my garden and planted it this morning.

12 Celebrity tomatoes
2 Cherokee Purple Tomato
1 Roma
2 Shishito Peppers
1 Cubanelle Pepper
2 Zucchini

Need to get a 6 more cages, run the soaker hose and see how they do. Had a great year last year with 8 tomato (slicers) with Celebrity being the most productive. Zucchini blooms produced fruit last year, but they would rot on the end before maturing. Added about 1/2 cup of Bone meal with each plant, so hopefully that will cure the problem.

I loved sharing last years harvest with friends and neighbors and kept 10 families in tomatoes. I bet I have over 1000 strawberries on my 10x10 bed. Need to put the net over them in the next few days to keep the birds and squirrels at bay. Plus my pellet gun is loaded and dialed in for the pesky squirrels who won't take no for an answer.

This is the third year for the raised beds and each year has gotten better. All organic too :thmbsp: Onions, lettuce, carrots, and spinach are all growing well. The flat is tomatoes (super steak & big beef), bell peppers (CA wonder), and eggplant (black beauty & purple rain), with zucchini (fordhook & black beauty) on the side all started from seed indoors under lights.

Obligatory garden guard dog photo included :D

Attachments

• DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0015.jpg
    DSCF0015.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 15
Last year late august.

Attachments

• DSCF0231.jpg
    DSCF0231.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0240.jpg
    DSCF0240.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0239.jpg
    DSCF0239.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 14
This is the third year for the raised beds and each year has gotten better. All organic too :thmbsp: Onions, lettuce, carrots, and spinach are all growing well. The flat is tomatoes (super steak & big beef), bell peppers (CA wonder), and eggplant (black beauty & purple rain), with zucchini (fordhook & black beauty) on the side all started from seed indoors under lights.

Obligatory garden guard dog photo included :D

No one will steal those maters. I put in a raised bed 22 years ago. It's planting area is 8 x 16. Or 2 cross ties long and 1 wide and 2 deep. Filled with top soil. Then I built a frame around it with conduit and covered it with bird net. Used to have a garden in it. Now it just has blueberries and blackberries. Hense the net.

attachment.php
Taken about a month or so ago,

I had to reorient my beds E/W, instead of the N/S arrangement I had haphazardly set up.

The grass I sewed has grown up thick, like carpet, and traps that moisture underneath the soil line So far, I'm loving the new arrangement.

I had to spend all winter raking the old dirt flush, measuring, building up, shoring up. Phew.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• WP_000923(1).jpg
    WP_000923(1).jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 55
Spent the weekend finishing the prep work on main garden and yesterday we planted 250 Peas, 100 Scallions, and 4 types of Lettuce. Had the babies out hardening too.

I bought some new grow lights this year after a few bad years using hand me downs and getting really nice results this time.

We planted about 80 Onions a few weeks ago in the front of the Garlic and all are doing fine. Looks like I will have another bumper crop of Garlic and many fine onions this year.

Next up is final prep and planting of Potatoes and then all the Tomatoes and Peppers as they are ready as well as a row of Swiss Chard.

Happy Gardening!

Back
Top Bottom