Why No New Quality Tape Decks?

Moby2

I've had bad luck with used cassette decks. It seems like each one I buy second-hand from thrift stores either have sound issues when tested at home or soon develops problems. Spending $50+ on a mainstream Yamaha 2 head used deck on eBay that's been tested is kind of pricey for old technology. I know cassette tapes are pretty much dead, but isn't there a small and potentially profitable market of tape enthusiasts for companies to build a good quality 2 head deck mainly for playback and price it at $100? One would think that tape deck technology has advanced and been perfect to the point where someone could build a reliable, good sounding deck for $100.

New cassette decks are on the same aisle as laser disc players and VHS machines at Circuit City.

Moby I think you're very unfortunate.
I've never bought a used deck from a thrift shop but dozens of them used from Marktplaats, a kind of craigslist here in The Netherlands.
I always pick them up and I give it a try at sellers place. When I have doubts in repairing it myself when it has tiny issues, I leave it.
When I want to buy one it needs to be in a real good condition from the outside. It's not a guarantee but it's say something about how it is been handled by previous owners.
Off course sometimes a belt is not good anymore but this happened only twice.
After cleaning the outside and most importand the heads etc it looks often like new or hardly used.
For $100 like €100,- it's very easy to buy a very nice deck, also easy a 3 head deck like Denon, Teac, Yamaha even Nakamichi when you are a little patient.

Good luck, Arno

They're also old, electro-MECHANICAL devices. They're rarely plug and play. You could post in barter town that you're looking for a good deck.

There wasn't new quality cassette decks in 1977 for $100 either. So be advised then it took $300-$500 then for a good cassette deck often.

Bad luck and inexperience is true here. I bought a couple of bad ones. Learned from it and was better informed buyer on the next go round. Have had no issues over the last couple of years. I can generally take care of the mechanical related issues, belts, lube and cleaning. Can replace most bulbs but leave any detailed electrical work to a qualified tech with the proper gear. My two cents.

Had great eBay luck recently on a Nak 202. Great cosmetic and working condition, although I may send to Perry, Nakdoc to check it out. But love the thing and sounds great

$50-100 for old tech thats working is NOTHING!
If you buy cheap, you get cheap ...

Where is the profit for anyone selling quality tested working gear for cheap?
I don't work for nothing, do you?

No flames meant, but raise your sights a bit and look for the better brands.
And like mhardy6647 said - tape technology is old school and effectively obsolete for the consumer market.
Heck, the kids are streaming music and putting digital files on their phones now ...

Understand I have new-school tube amp on my shelf and all my speakers predate 1990. I have an 80s era TT I bought new
That said, I have no tape tech in my main systems ... but my old JVC dual deck is connected downstairs by the treadmill for my wife's use.

I've had bad luck with used cassette decks. It seems like each one I buy second-hand from thrift stores either have sound issues when tested at home or soon develops problems. Spending $50+ on a mainstream Yamaha 2 head used deck on eBay that's been tested is kind of pricey for old technology. I know cassette tapes are pretty much dead, but isn't there a small and potentially profitable market of tape enthusiasts for companies to build a good quality 2 head deck mainly for playback and price it at $100? One would think that tape deck technology has advanced and been perfect to the point where someone could build a reliable, good sounding deck for $100.

Last edited:
I'm less concerned re: the reliability of my early '80s Nak deck than I am re: my circa '68 - '88 cassette tapes (90-minute Maxells and 100-minute TDKs) holding up during playback. I've managed to digitalize most of the goodies @ '68-'80, so when I wanna have a listen I needn't risk the master tape.

There wasn't new quality cassette decks in 1977 for $100 either. So be advised then it took $300-$500 then for a good cassette deck often.

Or even more. I remember looking at a Nakamichi Dragon back around1980 or so and don't recall the exact price but it was the most expensive piece of stereo equipment I'd ever seen(save the Klipshorns). They still are. I snagged a great Nak ZX-7 that was in great shape except for a recording problem that Perry fixed. Now, I'd put it up against any media as to sound and dependability.

The only thing I do with a "stream" is pee in it.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

Last edited:
I disagree with you Mark,
Recently bought an Yamaha KX590 3 head like mint for € 25,-, a TEAC V1050 3-head for 10 euro, also mint. I could be the prices in the US are way higher than in The Netherlands.
see: http://link.marktplaats.nl/m925136561
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m925091061
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m924921310

At least one of them should be ok.

Yes, they are. At least USD$50 for an above average looking and currently functioning tape deck, which after you buy it has an indeterminate lifespan. Roll of the dice at $50 a pop. What's odd is that used brand name CD changers are half the price of used tape decks for a better quality medium.

Where is the profit for anyone selling quality tested working gear for cheap?
I don't work for nothing, do you?

No flames meant, but raise your sights a bit and look for the better brands.
And like mhardy6647 said - tape technology is old school and effectively obsolete for the consumer market.
Heck, the kids are streaming music and putting digital files on their phones now ...

Understand I have new-school tube amp on my shelf and all my speakers predate 1990. I have an 80s era TT I bought new
That said, I have no tape tech in my main systems ... but my old JVC dual deck is connected downstairs by the treadmill for my wife's use.

I thought that when technology gets old prices tumble, but apparently not for tape decks. For not much more than a used tape deck, I can buy what was once a $900 receiver. Pre-recorded tapes themselves sell for between 10 cents to 25 cents at garage sales, so why wouldn't the instrument used to play them be proportionate in cost? When I buy tapes people are happy because I frequently hear "I was just going to toss them in the trash." It's hard to comprehend the high used prices for tape decks.

As far as profit, I'm not referring to used retail audio stores, but rather eBay and Craigslist ads, where someone may or may not be in the business of making a profit.

Bad luck and inexperience is true here. I bought a couple of bad ones. Learned from it and was better informed buyer on the next go round. Have had no issues over the last couple of years. I can generally take care of the mechanical related issues, belts, lube and cleaning. Can replace most bulbs but leave any detailed electrical work to a qualified tech with the proper gear. My two cents.

I don't have any mechanical ability so my keeping care of a tape deck is limited to dry and wet head cassette deck cleaners. It it easy to learn how to change belts etc on a tape deck?

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's price will plummet. Take a look at used(vintage) Selmer Mk VI saxophones from the 40's or 50's. I've had cars that didn't cost as much.

Like people have told you, Tape decks are electro-mechanical gadgets, unlike receivers.
There are moving parts that wear and fail. The common failure point in most older receivers is usually the lamps.

And folks who sell on Craigslist and ebay ARE looking to make a profit (surprise!!)
or else its just old dried out gear thats been in storage with the (should be) expected short lifetime remaining.

Last edited:

I would have to tend to agree... the way that you worded your post, it sounds like you've been through a few cheap decks that don't work.

If you add it all up, you've probably spent more than $50 to buy a tested working deck.

Don't you agree?

We still have Tascam 112 and 122 series cassette decks in use at the radio station. Even with the little use they get today I still see one from time to time on the repair bench in our Engineering workshop. I have a 122 mkIII I bought new in the 90's that's still functioning perfectly but decent used Tascam 122 mkIII's are still a lot more than $100 today. The upside of the Tascam decks is that most parts are still available with a bit of searching because they were intended for the professional broadcast & production market.

Back
Top Bottom