Wife surprised me this morning w/ gear

Northwinds

Huh? Turn what down?
Subscriber
She went tagsaling around our town and came home with this. She was "I bought some stereo stuff you might like, I hope I did not mess up but the amp looks like one you have"

She did not mess up!!!! Amp is CLEAN, my first 8 fin PL400 :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

The JBL's I am not familiar with and probably can't use, no grills though. Drivers look nice, especially the woofs

r6eqqnj.jpg

W3ZFqV8.jpg

GrKQyTy.jpg

unvUgH1.jpg

I have not fired the amp up yet, I am well aware that stock PL400s have no DC protection so an old pair of Advent floorstanders may be the sacrificial lambs. I pulled the transistor covers and everything looks CLEAN. Someday soon I hope to get it WOPL'd to the max when I can afford it

Regarding the JBL's, I can't use them (70w rating so I would destroy these pretty quick with my listening habits) so I will pass them on to someone else who might want them locally. I do have a few sets of grills in the garage I might work on for these, Infinity Quantum 5's come to mind as they are close in size but we will see. I may also refinish the cabs, not sure as I have so much to do around the house trying to get everything repaired from last Winter's damage

Yep, Mrs Northwinds will be getting her ass kissed for awhile and a lot of yard work out of me

EDIT: Stormking: The 8 fin models offer more cooling in stock form but my 4 fin WOPL does not even get warm

Last edited:
Dang Ron your on a roll, the speakers a JBL L40 from their Profesional line.

l40.JPG

You know like

L250
L300
L200
L100
L65
L40

Wow, those red grills look sick Dan! I looked them up, says 70w power capacity but can take 10x that for short bursts for transient peaks. Maybe a tube guy would like these :scratch2: as I would just blow them up :yes:

Going to hook them to another amp today to see how they sound, refinishing the cabs looks like it will be a breeze

WOPL? Izzat like a square pancake with a checkerboard pattern?

White Oak Phase Linear, amps are gutting and all White Oak goodies go in them, backplane boards replace the TO3 circuitry, upgraded MJ25/26s, pair of massive 16500uf power capacitors, Don's DC protection board and the WO control board. Amp is Full Comp when done vs the Direct Coupled original. Only the chassis, meters and tranny are used, everything else is gone

I dunno. I think I would be keeping the speakers and using them. Would make the wife awful pleased with herself I think.

Tell her she did darn good, what a keen eye!

Regards
Mister Pig

Gotcha, thanks! All a Google search came up with was West Orange Public Library. NOT very helpful...

White Oak Phase Linear, amps are gutting and all White Oak goodies go in them, backplane boards replace the TO3 circuitry, upgraded MJ25/26s, pair of massive 16500uf power capacitors, Don's DC protection board and the WO control board. Amp is Full Comp when done vs the Direct Coupled original. Only the chassis, meters and tranny are used, everything else is gone

A nice bedroom set of speakers:thmbsp:

Just hooked up the L40s, one tweeter is not working, everything else is. Is the tweeter rebuild able by chance? Maybe I will pull it out and make sure it's connected first. It's a 033 if anyone has a working spare. I have things to trade if this is possible

Last edited:
It appears to me that the woofers in those JBL's might not be original.

Great score though, you're a lucky guy to have a wife like that :thmbsp:

Yep, amp is blown also but she done good for what she paid and it was nice of her indeed! I will check the woofs out and see what be inside them. I know nothing about JBLs so this will be cool to see

Edit: pulled the woofs out and they are USA made Goldwood GW-10PC-8's w/ 40oz magnets

Last edited:
Talking about wife's, mine has the JBL L40's also! And no they are not the original woofs. I re-foamed the L40's and run them in the shop. They sound really nice. Good luck getting the 400 back up and running.

Those woofers are definitely not original, look like generic aftermarket replacements. Original woofers would be 127H or 127A, shouldn't be too hard to find. The 033 tweeters are nice, same tweeters as in my L150s. If you do end up needing to replace them, keep an eye out for the 034. The 034 was used in the L46, L56, etc and is a drop-in replacement for the 033 in most cases, in addition to being cheaper and more commonly available.

Back
Top Bottom