Sunfire Theater Grand IV questions?

nyindallas

Just purchased a Sunfire Theater Grand IV Seven Channel Preamp/Processor. It was a Theater Grand III that Sunfire upgraded to a Grand IV for 1000. Questions: 1) Are XLR cables necessary? Our plan is to hook it to the pre-amp out of a Blu-Ray 5.1 channel? I do the same thing with a Marantz using quality RCA cables. The blu ray also supports digital out. 2) I have a number of 2 channel, bridgeable power amps, including vintage Harmon Kardon, Adcom and Parrasound. Any thoughts on which would be best? 3) Am considering 1 of 4 sets of speakers. Kef Ref One, Kef Q7, Paradigm Monitor 7's. This unit is going into a huge family room where the Q7's currently reside and fill the room nicely. In my Home Theater I have a Rotel RSX-1067 receiver pushing the Kef Refs. Thanks!

1) No, XLR cables are not necessary.

Assuming the BD player has built-in decoding for the high-res/lossless formats, it may be better to go with your idea to use the multichannel analog connections. The digital output will not carry the high res/lossless formats.

OTOH, using the multichannel analog connections you're typically going to have to rely on the bass management in the BD player to configure your speaker settings. Some players have sufficient provisions for that, others do not. In the latter case it may be better to forego lossless/high-res in favor of using the digital connection and the bass management in the receiver/processor for more flexibility.

2) No opinion.

3) No opinion.

hope the Kef Q9C and Q7's are worthy

I have kef Q7 fronts and Q9C centers in the big family room where the sunfire is going. I hope they are worth. Another option is some paridigm monitor series I am not using. The home theater has kef ref ones and they are perfect in that room. Some thoughts or things I am wondering about. Would I dare run the fronts with a dynamic st70tube amp and use either klipsch fortes or kef ref 102/ 2's? Comments and advice is welcome

Back
Top Bottom