Lets see all them Amplifiers!

byoungman1

Vacuum tube mafia kingpin
Subscriber
I guess I'll get this started...love the axes thread, but what about "all them" guitar amps? :thmbsp:

A few of mine...

Pre-CBS "AA864" (rare) Bassman & orig. JBL D120F cab:

Bassman1964.jpg

1967 Sunn 100-S & orig. JBL D130 cab:

Sunn100S.jpg

1970 Bandmaster Reverb head & 1970 Twin Reverb:

Reverbs.jpg

Late-60s Sano & early-70s Traynor YGL-3a monster head:

Sano_Traynor.jpg

1955 Fender 5E3 Deluxe & 1966 Gibson Discoverer Tremolo:

Fender5E3-Discoverer.jpg

1966 Fender Super Reverb (my favorite by far):

FenderSuperReverb.jpg

So...let's see 'em!

That's is one sweet collection there Byoungman. Wow! I owned a Gibson Discoverer back in '67. Mine was dated from about '64 I think. I used it with my White Gibson SG Jr. that I bought new '66.

I found my Traynor Mark 3 Combo at an estate sale about a year ago with all original Philips tubes in mint condition. The older fellow played an accordion with it around the house. Total $50 with an extra set of unused tubes!

I also have a SWR Strawberry Blonde for my acoustic & P-bass.

Traynor1.jpg

TraynorBack.jpg

attachment.php

20170324-132828.jpg

Last edited:
The YGL3 was my first serious guitar amp and by far walks on most other amps. Fender wish they could figure out what Pete Traynor was up to ;)

Speaking of that I just got a nice Traynor head yesterday!

Pics of amps had and still have to come.

:music:

I found my Traynor Mark 3 Combo at an estate sale about a year ago with all original Philips tubes in mint condition. The older fellow played an accordian with it around the house. Total $50 with an extra set of unused tubes!

Beautiful amp! Most of the Traynor stuff I see is beat...that looks like it belongs in a museum! What make are the speakers?

Beautiful amp! Most of the Traynor stuff I see is beat...that looks like it belongs in a museum! What make are the speakers?

Thanks, they are labeled Yorkville Sound, Traynor. Thank God for accordians lol.

That Sunn amp looks so cool! and that Bassman :drool:

Here's the ONLY picture I have of our basement from '68 in Chicago. You can see my Discoverer on the right side to the right of the mic stand. Next to it is a Gibson Duo Medalist? on the back wall a Farfisa Combo Compact, Fender Bassman with a 2 x 12" (my friend/old bandmate still has the head) and a Gibson Sabre Reverb amp and Hendrix & Stones Posters. If we had guitar stands back then my SG Jr. would be sitting in front of the kit. Had so much fun down there! Only going on 50 years ago! :scratch2:

Cheers!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Basement Band Set-up 1968.JPG
    Basement Band Set-up 1968.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,066
Here is my old '73 Twin Reverb. When I got his it was coming completely apart so I took it to the best amp cab guy in the business, Gregg Hopkins at Vintage Amp Restorations.

It was taken completely apart and re-glued together. I had him cover it in Marshall green (green tolex with a black wash over it so it still appears black when dark) I also had piping and salt and pepper grill cloth put on it.

I took the circuit back to blackface specs as well. It came with Altec 417's.

Unfortunately I had to sell this amp after we moved to help with bills. It hurt as I obviously had this done as something I planned on keeping.

100_1309.jpg

100_1310.jpg

100_1311.jpg

100_1316.jpg

100_1312.jpg

100_1314.jpg

100_1315.jpg

Not so fast! Here's some of mine:

First up, a pair of Super Reverbs. The Silverface is one of my main amps. The blackface I acquired recently, said to "not work." The chassis is out and waiting for me to check it over more thoroughly. Nothing obvious is wrong, but it will get a power supply recap anyway. The Silver's a '68, the Black is a '67.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Then there's my REAL main amp. 1961 Vibrolux. Pairs nicely with an original (not reissue) '61 Reverb.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Next is a Silvertone Twin Twelve. It's nice and clean, except it's been recovered. I have the bottom, too. It has crappy replacement speakers. This one is getting refurbed to go on the block.

attachment.php

Here's my very first amp. A '60s Ampeg Rocket. It was in storage for decades, just got it out. Surprised to find no speaker in it, I have no recollection of taking it out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Silvertone Twin Twelve.jpg
    Silvertone Twin Twelve.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 989
  • Reverb.jpg
    Reverb.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 995
  • 6G11.jpg
    6G11.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 995
  • BFSR.jpg
    BFSR.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 999
  • Super Reverbs.jpg
    Super Reverbs.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Rocket.jpg
    Rocket.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 992
Few more:

My practice amp, an amazing sounding National Westwood. 1 SE 6V6, twin Jensen 8 inch alnicos. Sounds awesome with the Fender Reverb through it.

attachment.php

In the thumbs... An Oliver Powerflex. Really a keyboard head that I bought years ago to screw around trying mods on. It had already been modified from the original cabinet where the head lifted out of the speaker cabinet automatically by an electric motor. Designed and built by Jess Oliver, the man who designed all the classic Ampeg amps in the '60s. Came with a pair of 7027s.

An Epiphone Ensign. Twin 6L6GC, two channel, layout similar to a Fender Vibrolux Reverb (with reverb and tremelo on one channel only, a pair of 10s). This amp never had the guts it should, so I have to go through it one of these days. The speakers in it are mismatched crap.

A Kustom "roll and tuck" amp. Abused regularly by a loud bassist, the speakers are badly blown out.

I also have the same Gibson Explorer as in the first post, but it's on loan to a friend.

Attachments

• Kustom.jpg
    Kustom.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 78
  • Epi2.jpg
    Epi2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 57
  • Epiphone.jpg
    Epiphone.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 62
  • Oliver.jpg
    Oliver.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Westwood.jpg
    Westwood.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 968
WOW, only three of us here own amps it looks like.......

:no:

:D

I actually tested a bunch of my cabs that have been sitting idle today, ran an amp that an AKer gave me through some JBL 15"s, Roland 10"s, and Fane + Celestion 12"s. Pics soon...

Pearce G1 head (heavily modded)
Pearce G1 head (lightly modded)
Hartke 3500 head
Peavey Classic 50 212FX (tweaked)
Estey T12
Fender Sidekick Bass combo
Chandler Tube Driver pre-amp
John Nau custom tube pre-amp (based on Mesa Boogie Studio .22)
Vox Brian May
A few old Marlboro amps
A few small practice amps
Marshall 1960A slant cab from 1979 or so, with Celestion 65s in it
Custom-made cab with JBL E140 in the bottom and two Roland 10"s in the top
Small cab with JBL 2135 (like a D130)
Laney cab with Fane 12"
Pearce cab with a single Celestion 65 12", convertible between open back/ported/sealed
Altec 8256 cab with two Altec 3156 15"s (pics attached)

...and other stuff I can't remember, have loaned out, or stored away, or is out for repair/tweaking/testing/cloning.

je

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Altec3156side.jpg
    Altec3156side.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 919
My Marshall cab, currently wired 4 ohms, soon to be re-wired with the original series/parallel 16 ohm setup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• marshall1960leadfront (Medium).jpg
    marshall1960leadfront (Medium).jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 926
  • marshall1960leadplate (Medium).jpg
    marshall1960leadplate (Medium).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 910
  • marshall1960leadrear (Medium).jpg
    marshall1960leadrear (Medium).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
great stuff everybody! makes me want to get one of those back braces like they use in the warehouse and get some big amps again :)

great stuff everybody! makes me want to get one of those back braces like they use in the warehouse and get some big amps again :)

Little amps are fun, too- here's a few I'd forgotten in my list. Randy Rhoads fans might recognize these, they've become somewhat famous as his backstage practice amps- Zeus 8401s. I've got 4 of them, but only 3 were handy when I took these pics. They'll each power a half-stack pretty damn loudly on a few AA batteries.

je

attachment.php

Meet 'Robbie the Robot': custom-made cabinet originally designed for bass guitar, now used for all kinds of things. Currently houses a JBL E-140 in a ported section in the bottom, and two Roland 10"s from a JC-77 in the top. The top section also has a 3RU rack, a cubby for a tuner, intake & exhaust fans for the components in the rack, a cup-holder and an integrated guitar stand. :D

I've used this as a bi-amp bass cab, and also as a band-in-a-box setup for rehearsals or small gigs, where the bass guitar runs through the 15" and two separate guitars run through the two 10"s. I have it wired so that I can run the 10"s either individually or series or parallel, and for a while I had a passive crossover + l-pad for the 10"s.

Oh, yeah, there's also a panel on the back for ins & outs, and an integral power cord. And casters. And handles. Have I forgotten anything? :scratch2:

je

attachment.php

Attachments

• RobbieRobot (Medium).jpg
    RobbieRobot (Medium).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 400
A very generous AK member gave me this beastie right around my birthday in 2011, it had been found at the curb in the DC area with many, many rough miles on it. It's been slowly coming together, and it's really showing improvement with minor fixes & tweaks. Running it at half-power now, sounding better & better with little changes, and the only issue left is finding out what's still buzzing/vibrating in the baffle board. I played this through pretty much every speaker cabinet I have here yesterday (not the 4-ohm Marshall cab) , and that was really revealing.

Low-fi video of a nice 335 copy playing on the lead channel (with lots of mistakes), bridge humbucker setting:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1727556/MOV00292.MPG

Low-fi video of the same guitar, clean amp setting, single coils, switching from neck/both/bridge:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1727556/MOV00288.MPG

More details in this thread here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=370017

...but it's a 1991-ish Peavey Classic 50 212 EFX.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

je

Last edited:
Here's the room most of this stuff hangs out in:

attachment.php

...and an old room back in NY when I was renting a friend's basement:

attachment.php

je

Pearce G1 head (heavily modded)
Pearce G1 head (lightly modded)
Hartke 3500 head
Peavey Classic 50 212FX (tweaked)
Estey T12
Fender Sidekick Bass combo
Chandler Tube Driver pre-amp
John Nau custom tube pre-amp (based on Mesa Boogie Studio .22)
Vox Brian May
A few old Marlboro amps
A few small practice amps
Marshall 1960A slant cab from 1979 or so, with Celestion 65s in it
Custom-made cab with JBL E140 in the bottom and two Roland 10"s in the top
Small cab with JBL 2135 (like a D130)
Laney cab with Fane 12"
Pearce cab with a single Celestion 65 12", convertible between open back/ported/sealed
Altec 8256 cab with two Altec 3156 15"s (pics attached)

...and other stuff I can't remember, have loaned out, or stored away, or is out for repair/tweaking/testing/cloning.

je

Oh, yeah- and, a single 12" ported cabinet with an old EV SRO 12" in it + another single 15" cabinet with a very low-power 15" driver in it (now I'm curious who made the driver, I'll go check).

je

Last edited:
Oh, yeah- and, a single 12" ported cabinet with an old EV SRO 12" in it + another single 15" cabinet with a very low-power 15" driver in it (now I'm curious who made the driver, I'll go check).

je

The 15" is an AlNiCo Univox Pro-Mag, light as a feather frame and metal/vented dust cap. No numbering anywhere, I'd guess it's Eminence or Becker. Makes sense, it's likely to be the original driver from the Stage/Univox little amp/speaker cab I got from a local friend. I'll probably try it out as a DIY Sub-Kick.

The Univox cab's been re-grilled and re-braced and loaded with a very nice JBL 2135 (close cousin to a D130). I really do like the closed-back sound I get with that configuration for either low-volume bass recording or guitar.

Here's an ad for the original setup. The amp toasted shortly after I got it, it'll end up being somebody's project some day.

je

attachment.php

Attachments

• ub250_catalog (Medium).jpg
    ub250_catalog (Medium).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom