Marantz 1550 corrosive glue and resistor replacement

alowe0110

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've had this Marantz for about six months now. I've used it nearly everyday for hours on end and it's been a champ. I decided I was curious to see how it would sound with a recap, so I pulled it apart and started recording the caps inside.

Which is when I noticed some glue was turning corrosive. Specifically, R802 had suffered the brunt of it, I'm surprised I wasn't having any problems with the unit.

I heard nail polish remover will help with the glue, but will it damage the silkscreen on the board?

Lastly, I'm not entirely sure about what resistor to get. The original is 22ohm, 1/2 watt, 5% tolerance. I'm not sure about the differences between metal film, carbon film etc and what I should get.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Link to service manual: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/1550.shtml

Attachments

• DSCN0885.jpg
    DSCN0885.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0895.jpg
    DSCN0895.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Usually the glue will just pop off the board with a small screwdriver. I would personally not use a solvent like acetone (nail polish remover) since it might have unintended consequences. My suggestion for replacing the resistor would be metal film. I'm not that familiar with the 1550 so I'm not sure the function of the board you're working on, but metal film is a safe bet - low noise.

I have used acetone or ethyl acetate (both are used in commercial nail polish removers) to soften the glue to facilitate the removal of the glue on phenolic boards without any detrimental effect on the board or the silk screening. Note that to avoid any unintended damage as hirscwi mentioned, it is best to do repeated applications with smallish amounts of the solvent rather than "soaking" the board.

A Dremel with a wire brush will also make your work a lot faster. I was surprised to see the glue in a Marantz as, very often, it is known as Sansui Glue.

if you cut the leads back to good that resistor should still be high enough ..failing that i would use a metal film .

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just replace the resistor because the corrosion is worse than can be seen on camera. Just glad I decided to open it up when I did and cleaned it up before it started corroding more components.

Back
Top Bottom